Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
We just booked for all of the home games next year.
The only road game we can attend will be at West Point.
I have many friends in that area and will be looking forward to the visit.
OBTW, Canoli in that area of NY ... ROCKS. And, if you have never seen the Hudson river valley it is a must see.
GO FLAMES!!!
Last edited by CCWMichael on November 14th, 2017, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll touch on this more come signing day but looking at the roster here is how the seniors break down:

QB: 0
RB: 3 (Thomas Kennedy is a FB)
WR: 1
TE: 0
OL: 2
DL: 1
LB: 1
DB: 0
ST: 2

The real hurt comes with the 2019 graduating class...we have 20 (yes 20) juniors or redshirt juniors on the roster so we will need to replace a LOT of players in just about every position group
By CCWMichael
BJWilliams wrote:I'll touch on this more come signing day but looking at the roster here is how the seniors break down:

QB: 0
RB: 3 (Thomas Kennedy is a FB)
WR: 1
TE: 0
OL: 2
DL: 1
LB: 1
DB: 0
ST: 2

The real hurt comes with the 2019 graduating class...we have 20 (yes 20) juniors or redshirt juniors on the roster so we will need to replace a LOT of players in just about every position group
I felt like my parade was being rained on :-| 3 or four wins will be a win next season and it is possible. We should, and have, draw 3 star plus players who want to play now. Coach em' up and season 2 holds potential for an improvement regardless of attrition rate. There are plenty of schools that struggle with these dilemmas and still perform well.
I am blinded by the FLAME :cheerleader.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We are looking at either going to the game at West Point or hitting both of the games in New Mexico combined with some time in Big Bend in between. I am just jazzed to have attractive games starting to pop up on the schedule.
By Dalegarz1
Very excited about the game at West Point. I've been there several times and it is a great experience-so unique. The parade by the cadets and the tailgating to follow is awesome. The setting, especially during the Fall, is breathtaking. I look forward to seeing a strong contingent dressed in red. My fear is that we won't be able to stop or even slow down a very good option attack.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Reference Option Attack, I was thinking same thing. Army runs it better than KSU.
Hopefully a new coaching staff will be able to install a defense to stop/slow down the run/option offense. It is so easy that Presby did it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Stopping the Option isn’t easy. Ask Bud Foster
However, lots of coaches do successfully. :roll:

Gill 4 Life
Sometimes you do sometimes you don’t. Lots also don’t stop it successfully But I’m sure you think Bud Foster is over rated because you’ve talked to people who have seen football games and that’s what they say.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
So, I know our boys can't make the playoffs. Nevertheless, as of right now both Monmouth and KSU are penciled in as playoff participants. Both Monmouth and KSU have have top 30 offenses. Monmouth is ranked 9th in scoring offense while 30th in total offense. KSU is ranked 36th in scoring offense and 20th in total offense. Now in perspective our offense would rank right above NDSU as the 9th best offense in FCS. Let's look at the defense for a second. Monmouth's D is not even ranked in top 50 but KSU's D is ranked 7th. Monmouth's scoring d is ranked 45th while KSU's is ranked 4th. Put in perspective our scoring D gives up 8 points more a game than the 50th ranked scoring d and our d gives up 100 more yards a game than the 50th best D. When your offense and defense are that polar opposite something is going to give.

All this to say, KSU and Monmouth are definitely improving as football programs and are drawing a lot of interest from FBS transfers. I would say they have more FBS transfers than we do, why that is can be debated. Should we always beat them with the advantages we have as an institution and with out athletic facilities . . . sure. But coaching and execution will dictate the outcome of these games.

Final thought: Gill had his hand significantly in the improvement of the offense and it will only get better with solid offensive line recruits coming in as well as Buckshot and his receiving corps getting better and the running backs coming in will be better than what we have too. Offensively we will be set! Defensively, Gill and company need a SERIOUS CHANGE!!!! Juco's will help that big time as will Seth Nerness and Solomon Ajayi. Nevertheless, WE MUST SEE A CHANGE IN DEFENSIVE PLAY NEXT YEAR OR IT COULD BE BIG TROUBLE!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I’m going to go off topic for a minute, but does anyone know what’s going on at the Bill right now? Is it a high school playoff game?
LCA game maybe? I know VHSL playoffs are on
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I’m going to go off topic for a minute, but does anyone know what’s going on at the Bill right now? Is it a high school playoff game?
LCA game maybe? I know VHSL playoffs are on
It must be for it to have a packed parking lot by the bookstore
By LUAlum1215
No VHSL games through 2018 I believe. They left LU and decided to play at W&M after the campus conceal carry policy came out. I’ve heard they plan to come back to LU after the current three year deal expires. My understanding is that the decision was made to keep individual schools/parents happy and not because the VHSL wanted to leave.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:No VHSL games through 2018 I believe. They left LU and decided to play at W&M after the campus conceal carry policy came out. I’ve heard they plan to come back to LU after the current three year deal expires. My understanding is that the decision was made to keep individual schools/parents happy and not because the VHSL wanted to leave.
SNOWFLAKES
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
VHSL bowed to pressure from Snowflake High School in Northern Virginia. Some snowflake did not feel safe coming to LU for a VHSL Debate tournament. Thus VHSL panicked and move VHSL games away.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yes. Saying ‘Snowflake’ adds so much credibility
It was a total PC move to yank VHSL events from LU though. And an added expense with lower revenue for the SW and CVA schools that would have participated. No one claimed the VHSL were the sharpest knives in the drawer
By CCWMichael
Sly Fox wrote:We are looking at either going to the game at West Point or hitting both of the games in New Mexico combined with some time in Big Bend in between. I am just jazzed to have attractive games starting to pop up on the schedule.
Off topic ... I miss Northern New Mexico ... so awesome. And, parties inthe desert (at least in the eaarly 80's)
I would love to make those dates but the family does require some obligations being they are giving me all of September.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I might do Army. WVU At NCSU is the following weekend so I’ll be hitting that one!
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]