Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I want to follow NCAA rules / regulations on how to put Liberty Football in touch with a friend of mine. My friend is a 2016 Class 3-Star Recruit at Defensive Tackle.

Who do I contact? What do I do? Best point of contact or making conversation with LU? God knows we could use a good solid Defensive Tackle at Liberty.

My friend signed as a commit to Weber State University Wildcats. Things were not a good fit. My friend received offers from WSU and BYU. And he did an unofficial visit to University of Oregon. My friend redshirted in 2016 for WSU.

I've been talking to my friend for several months about Liberty Football, and my friend has been interested in LU. Yesterday at Church, my friend old me he would be interested in checking Liberty out.. visiting campus, seeing the facilities, meeting coaching staff etc.

My friend was the rated the best Defensive Tackle in the State of Utah, two or three years ago. Bronco Mendenhall (former BYU Coach) was really keen on my friend playing for him at BYU; however, Bronco went on that year to take the Head Coaching job at UVA. So, my friend signed with WSU.

My friend might enroll at D2 Colorado State University Pueblo because they have a great nursing program, and play a year of football there to get noticed again by D1 Schools. But my friend is not yet enrolled or anything. My friend still has interest in playing football for BYU but there have been a lot of coaching changes etc. there.

Any words of advice from the wise. My friend is interested in LU and likes what he see's with LU and it being FBS. He thinks the facilities and commitments being made into the football program are really great.
I think he has to do the contacting. There are rules in place. I am pretty sure the staff can’t have any contact with him until he has publicly made a statement he is transferring. If you really want to get involved call the Compliance Office. They will have more answers than you knew you had questions to
libertyfan4life wrote:I want to follow NCAA rules / regulations on how to put Liberty Football in touch with a friend of mine. My friend is a 2016 Class 3-Star Recruit at Defensive Tackle.

Who do I contact? What do I do? Best point of contact or making conversation with LU? God knows we could use a good solid Defensive Tackle at Liberty.

My friend signed as a commit to Weber State University Wildcats. Things were not a good fit. My friend received offers from WSU and BYU. And he did an unofficial visit to University of Oregon. My friend redshirted in 2016 for WSU.

I've been talking to my friend for several months about Liberty Football, and my friend has been interested in LU. Yesterday at Church, my friend old me he would be interested in checking Liberty out.. visiting campus, seeing the facilities, meeting coaching staff etc.

My friend was the rated the best Defensive Tackle in the State of Utah, two or three years ago. Bronco Mendenhall (former BYU Coach) was really keen on my friend playing for him at BYU; however, Bronco went on that year to take the Head Coaching job at UVA. So, my friend signed with WSU.

My friend might enroll at D2 Colorado State University Pueblo because they have a great nursing program, and play a year of football there to get noticed again by D1 Schools. But my friend is not yet enrolled or anything. My friend still has interest in playing football for BYU but there have been a lot of coaching changes etc. there.

Any words of advice from the wise. My friend is interested in LU and likes what he see's with LU and it being FBS. He thinks the facilities and commitments being made into the football program are really great.
As far as I know, we never actually hired a replacement when Kettie Fickter was let go as Director of Player Personnel. Trey Johnson is Assistant Director of Player Personnel and Paul Rutigliano is doing double duty as Recruiting Coordinator in addition to his administrative duties. I believe Purple is correct in saying that since he is enrolled at Weber State the ball is essentially in his court. First step would be for him to notify WSU that he is going to pursue a transfer. My understanding is that he can begin contacting other schools any time, but he must have a release from WSU before other schools can initiate contact with him.
A personal thank you to those who have personally responded to this post. It is appreciated.

So, this afternoon I reached out to Mickey Guridy, and he had told me that Matt Bevins is the appropriate point of contact. Thanks to those of you with the heads up and advice on contacting Mickey.

So, I have reached out to Matt Bevins, and already heard back from him promptly via email. Matt's promptness was encouraging being that my friend (recruit) is a 3-Star recruit at DT.

Matt Bevins had said that "we are definately in need of a DT / DL." And said Liberty will "dig a little deeper" as to this recruit.

I have been talking to my friend (recruit) for several months about Liberty Football. I was surprised when my friend approached me yesterday at Church and basically said, "let's do this" in approaching Liberty Football about recruitment. He really likes what he sees in LU, and is even right now as we speak he is watching a ton of videos online, youtube etc. about Liberty. He's also a good kid, quiet and stays out of trouble, and will fit into the LU culture pretty well I feel.

For those that care, I confirmed this afternoon from my friend (recruit) that:
* Right now, he is not presently enrolled at any school.
* My friend has applied to a school in Colorado but has not fully submitted application yet.
* He has been officially released from his commitment and NLI to Weber State University.
* He has his transcripts.
* He believes that he is still eligible for 4 years due to his red-shirting.
* He is watching a lot of stuff online about Liberty and looking into a lot about the school presently.
* He gave me consent and permission to reach out to you, coaches, recruiting coordinators, saying "that would be awesome if you could reach out to them."

Hopefully, we will see this kid's name come up on this ASOR Recruiting Message Board thread sometime soon in the future! His parents would also personally like him to come attend and play for Liberty Football. They are very active and committed members in our church. Salt of the earth.

A sincere thank you everybody for your help.

Go Flames!
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:your friend wouldn't happen to have the same first name as a guy that built an ark a while back would he? lol
Might share the last name of someone on the show about nothing.
Well played.
Well, that sure was quick..

Just three days after even letting LU know about my 3-Star recruit friend, I received an email last night back from LU saying basically "not interested..." LOL.

He was a good enough recruit for Oregon, BYU, # 9 FCS ranked Weber State, etc. to offer or have interest.

LU confuses me. LU cannot even seem to handle Big South or FCS opponents this season, and we're moving up to FBS while not mildly interested in FBS caliber recruits?! Of our 13 current commits for 2018, only 2 of our commits have 3-Stars. I don't personally care if the door shuts, but how does LU seem to think it has a recruit figured out and evaluated after just three days of hearing about the guy? I just thought LU might be interested in adding a recruit towards the need of filling gaps in it's shallow defensive line.

So anyways, moving on.
libertyfan4life wrote:Well, that sure was quick..

Just three days after even letting LU know about my 3-Star recruit friend, I received an email last night back from LU saying basically "not interested..." LOL.

He was a good enough recruit for Oregon, BYU, # 9 FCS ranked Weber State, etc. to offer or have interest.

LU confuses me. LU cannot even seem to handle Big South or FCS opponents this season, and we're moving up to FBS while not mildly interested in FBS caliber recruits?! Of our 13 current commits for 2018, only 2 of our commits have 3-Stars. I don't personally care if the door shuts, but how does LU seem to think it has a recruit figured out and evaluated after just three days of hearing about the guy? I just thought LU might be interested in adding a recruit towards the need of filling gaps in it's shallow defensive line.

So anyways, moving on.

Maybe they know something you don’t?
You are right. Agreed. I am too close to this. I never said though that my friend is not good. He's talking to a lot of schools and will have a FBS suitor soon. That's probably what bothers me personally. He really would like to play for LU.. good kid.. believes in the vision, great work ethic, works hard etc. He will likely end up playing against LU the next couple of years on the other side of the line of scrimmage for BYU. The boys in Provo want him.
libertyfan4life wrote:You are right. Agreed. I am too close to this. I never said though that my friend is not good. He's talking to a lot of schools and will have a FBS suitor soon. That's probably what bothers me personally. He really would like to play for LU.. good kid.. believes in the vision, great work ethic, works hard etc. He will likely end up playing against LU the next couple of years on the other side of the line of scrimmage for BYU. The boys in Provo want him.
Maybe we don't want him because he is a good tackler or a 3* lineman, I hear we are over-stocked on those. 8) :shock:
Last edited by flameshaw on November 16th, 2017, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
libertyfan4life wrote:You are right. Agreed. I am too close to this. I never said though that my friend is not good. He's talking to a lot of schools and will have a FBS suitor soon. That's probably what bothers me personally. He really would like to play for LU.. good kid.. believes in the vision, great work ethic, works hard etc. He will likely end up playing against LU the next couple of years on the other side of the line of scrimmage for BYU. The boys in Provo want him.
If he’s truly that interested in Liberty, it may be smart for him to wait and see if this coaching staff is still the staff next year.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
If he’s truly that interested in Liberty, it may be smart for him to wait and see if this coaching staff is still the staff next year.
Good idea for sure.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]