Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:After reviewing CSU scores, we should win, and game not be close.
The same could have been said for St. Francis, Monmouth and KSU. 8)
St Francis, yes, but let's give KSU and Monmouth some credit. They are both 9-1, and there is a good chance both will be in the playoffs. I think KSU has the better at-large resume, so KK and co. Should be silently pulling for the Hawks.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:After reviewing CSU scores, we should win, and game not be close.
The same could have been said for St. Francis, Monmouth and KSU. 8)
St Francis, yes, but let's give KSU and Monmouth some credit. They are both 9-1, and there is a good chance both will be in the playoffs. I think KSU has the better at-large resume, so KK and co. Should be silently pulling for the Hawks.
Not trying to deflect any credit away from either. However, we should have easily beat them both and failed.
I haven't looked at their schedules, but I don't recall either team playing any tough games. Regardless, neither one of them are making the move to FBS either. Both games should have been in our W column.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
[/quote]
Not trying to deflect any credit away from either. However, we should have easily beat them both and failed.
I haven't looked at their schedules, but I don't recall either team playing any tough games. Regardless, neither one of them are making the move to FBS either. Both games should have been in our W column.[/quote]

KSU beat Montana State on the road. They are pretty legit. I have to say you sound a bit like ballcoach with the presumption that we should easily beat teams like this. We do not have an FBS roster yet, nor are we really close. Too many promoted walk-ons on scholarship and not enough studs.
olldflame wrote:
I haven't looked at their schedules, but I don't recall either team playing any tough games. Regardless, neither one of them are making the move to FBS either. Both games should have been in our W column.
KSU beat Montana State on the road. They are pretty legit. I have to say you sound a bit like ballcoach with the presumption that we should easily beat teams like this. We do not have an FBS roster yet, nor are we really close. Too many promoted walk-ons on scholarship and not enough studs.
At the risk if defending ballcoach, we should easily handle teams like this. Liberty pours money and resources into football. I don't care how "legit" KSU is. They're a three year old program that beat us on our home turf. Liberty has had top resources in FCS for years and has put a stunning and atrocious product on the field. There is no reason with our recruiting footprint, facilities, and coaches salary for Liberty to EVER lose a BSC game, let alone one at home or in a stadium that seats 4000.

Yes, the metric for success is about to change, but I refuse to believe that HCTG will rise to the occasion.

If we are fine with a 2 win floor and a 5 win ceiling, keep the man on. But I would rather 1 win with a decent coach implementing his system followed by improvement.

7-4 is not an improvement over 6-5 when we had one less FBS game than the previous 3 seasons.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
I haven't looked at their schedules, but I don't recall either team playing any tough games. Regardless, neither one of them are making the move to FBS either. Both games should have been in our W column.[/quote]

KSU beat Montana State on the road. They are pretty legit. I have to say you sound a bit like ballcoach with the presumption that we should easily beat teams like this. We do not have an FBS roster yet, nor are we really close. Too many promoted walk-ons on scholarship and not enough studs.[/quote]

Well they’ve never been seen in the same room together.....
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have to surmise flameshaw, that the "we" you refer to that should easily beat BSC opponents is the hypothetical Liberty team you believe we should be putting on the field at this point in time. I don't necessarily disagree. The problem is, in real life, that team does not exist, and yes, Gill and his staff are responsible for that situation.
Coaches and players wins games, not facilities and money. We do have great facilities and lots of money. I think this idea that we should never lose to BSC opponents like a KSU or a Monmouth solely because of our facilities and money is flawed. We lost because of poor Defensive game planning and execution. Our tackling this year has been a problem throughout aside from Juwan Wells, Solomon McGinty and Jeremy Peters. 3 out of 11 is no bueno. And even McGinty is average at best at linebacker. He is not fast enough to cover side-line to side-line. The effort and passion to play has NEVER been in question and to that I say thank you!

I hope that if Gill stays, we on this board will continue to support this team, pray for this team and be thankful that we have a Godly man leading this team into a new chapter of Liberty Football. Further, lets look forward to a new season next year where no matter how we think the season might go, chances are we could be dead wrong about it. Whose to say that LU doesn't come out and win 8 games or they come out and win only 2. We are FBS now, enjoy it!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
KSU beat Montana State on the road. They are pretty legit. I have to say you sound a bit like ballcoach with the presumption that we should easily beat teams like this. We do not have an FBS roster yet, nor are we really close. Too many promoted walk-ons on scholarship and not enough studs.[/quote]

Well they’ve never been seen in the same room together.....[/quote]

Actually, a few of our former walk-ons are probably deserving of that designation (speaking in football terms only). Mosley and Brown in particular are legit.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
olldflame wrote:
At the risk if defending ballcoach, we should easily handle teams like this. Liberty pours money and resources into football. I don't care how "legit" KSU is. They're a three year old program that beat us on our home turf. Liberty has had top resources in FCS for years and has put a stunning and atrocious product on the field. There is no reason with our recruiting footprint, facilities, and coaches salary for Liberty to EVER lose a BSC game, let alone one at home or in a stadium that seats 4000.

Yes, the metric for success is about to change, but I refuse to believe that HCTG will rise to the occasion.

If we are fine with a 2 win floor and a 5 win ceiling, keep the man on. But I would rather 1 win with a decent coach implementing his system followed by improvement.

7-4 is not an improvement over 6-5 when we had one less FBS game than the previous 3 seasons.
+1
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I have to surmise flameshaw, that the "we" you refer to that should easily beat BSC opponents is the hypothetical Liberty team you believe we should be putting on the field at this point in time. I don't necessarily disagree. The problem is, in real life, that team does not exist, and yes, Gill and his staff are responsible for that situation.
Agree. Forget that we are going to FBS, that has only been announced about a year ago. In fairness, we cannot expect to be FBS ready, just pointing in that direction. But, we should NOW be able to field a solid top 15-20 FCS team after 6 years, and we have failed miserably in that regard. That is certainly not an expectation that is too lofty or unachievable.
And yes, we should never lose a BSC football game. Of course that is moot right now.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
olldflame wrote:I have to surmise flameshaw, that the "we" you refer to that should easily beat BSC opponents is the hypothetical Liberty team you believe we should be putting on the field at this point in time. I don't necessarily disagree. The problem is, in real life, that team does not exist, and yes, Gill and his staff are responsible for that situation.
Agree. Forget that we are going to FBS, that has only been announced about a year ago. In fairness, we cannot expect to be FBS ready, just pointing in that direction. But, we should NOW be able to field a solid top 15-20 FCS team after 6 years, and we have failed miserably in that regard. That is certainly not an expectation that is too lofty or unachievable.
And yes, we should never lose a BSC football game. Of course that is moot right now.
I agree on all points except the moot one 8)

Kennesaw is a program on the rise which actually enjoys a number of advantages over us. I think they would have been a worthy rival in the BSC had we not made the FBS move.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
I agree on all points except the moot one 8)

Kennesaw is a program on the rise which actually enjoys a number of advantages over us. I think they would have been a worthy rival in the BSC had we not made the FBS move.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'll probably tune in before I head to work (nice to be able to say that again)
I’m sure it is
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The 12:00 game will also be televised locally on WFFP, which is channel 24 on DishNetwork. :football
All the Cool Kids Have DirecTv 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The 12:00 game will also be televised locally on WFFP, which is channel 24 on DishNetwork. :football
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]