Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In our last game technically as an FCS competitor, the Flames close out the season against the Bucs.

Charleston Southern University
North Charleston, South Carolina

CSU Football Official Site

Buccaneer Field
Opened in 1991 - Seats 4000

Mark Tucker
1st Season as CSU Head Coach

2017 Schedule/Results
  • Sep. 02 - @ Mississippi State ......................... L 49-0
    Sep. 09 - @ SC State ...................................... Cancelled
    Sep. 16 - @ Elon ............................................ L 19-17
    Sep. 23 - Point University (GA) ...................... W 66-0
    Sep. 30 - Mississippi Valley St. ...................... W 58-7
    Oct. 07 - @ Indiana ....................................... L 27-0
    Oct. 14 - @ Presbyterian* ............................. W 7-0
    Oct. 21 - Savannah St. .................................. W 52-27
    Oct. 28 - Monmouth* .................................... L 23-20
    Nov. 04 - @ Gardner-Webb* .......................... W 10-9
    Nov. 11 - @ Kennesaw State* ........................ L 38-0
    Nov. 18 - Liberty* ......................................... 12:00 PM

Key Players

#1 London Johnson
    6' 0" 190 lbs Sophomore Quarterback
    In 9 Games: 28-of-51 (54.9%) for 305 Yds with 4 TDs & 3 INTs + 60 Carries for 289 & 2 Rushing TD s

#28 Noah Shuler
    5' 7" 215 lbs Junior Running Back
    Thru 10 Games: 102 Carries for 499 Yds (4.9 Avg) and 7 TDs + 1 Catch for 9 Yds

#84 Kameron Brown
    6' 3" 200 lbs Receiver
    Thru 10 Games: 21 Catches for 446 Yds with 2 TDs

#5 J.D. Sosebee
    6' 1" 220 lbs Sophomore Linebacker
    Thru 10 Games: 72 Tackles including 7.5. for Loss + 2 Sacks + 1 Forced Fumble + 60-Yd Fumble Recovery

#9 Demetri Royer
    Redshirt Freshman Defensive Back
    Thru 10 Games: 70 Tackles + 1 Forced Fumble
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chuck South shuts off Presby but only scores 7 points against them? i hope Buckshot lights them up like a Roman candle and the D holds on for the WIN. :football
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Since they only pass 7 times a game, we will probably prepare for them to pass 50% of the time. They will probably give us a very difficult game because they run so much. We knew KSU was going to run 90% of the time and couldn't stop them at all. Being on the road, with no crowd, it could be very interesting.
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Is there a line for this yet?

Spitballing

CSU -2.5
O/U 48.5

Guessing their total will be hard. They're all over the place.
CSU -1.5 is the opening line.
Just un-imaginable for ateam going where we are.
But, hey ... I am all in for next year no matter what our position.
OH and Buckshot's record watch:

He needs 118 passing yards to break Phil Basso's 1984 record of 3226 yards for the season. He should break that in the first quarter!

He has more 400 yard passing games than any LU quarterback and after this season he will only need 4 more 300 yard games to secure that record.

This may be a little to early, but Buckshot has a GREAT chance to be the drafted as high as Walt Aikens was.
R i wrote:Is there anyone else concerned that Buckshot may Transfer ?

Maybe I am SdotCurry stunned still.
I had that conversation with a few people after the Baylor game. I don’t think he’s on track to graduate in three years so I doubt there’d be a graduate transfer situation after next year. I also don’t know that he wants to sit out a year to transfer normally. He signed with us largely in part because he wouldn’t get redshirted.

All that said - it still wouldn’t surprise me if he did.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I had that conversation with a few people after the Baylor game. I don’t think he’s on track to graduate in three years so I doubt there’d be a graduate transfer situation after next year. I also don’t know that he wants to sit out a year to transfer normally. He signed with us largely in part because he wouldn’t get redshirted.

I would be sort of surprised if he did. If LU does make the coaching change and they get a coach who is an Option guy then I can see it. But otherwise why not Re-write the record books. You saw the QB in the class ahead of you get a cup of coffee in the NFL so you know the school is on the radar. You’ll play in some high profile games. One of the tops QB’s 2 years ago was from an FBS.
Unless they have something cooking I would be surprised.........which means he will :lol:
The attractive thing to him would be one of those Florida schools. With how FAU, FIU, USF, and UCF are playing, that would be a much higher profile than Liberty. That said, I don't know that three of those four coaches are there in two years so I don't know how attractive they'd actually be.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I would be sort of surprised if he did. If LU does make the coaching change and they get a coach who is an Option guy then I can see it. But otherwise why not Re-write the record books. You saw the QB in the class ahead of you get a cup of coffee in the NFL so you know the school is on the radar. You’ll play in some high profile games. One of the tops QB’s 2 years ago was from an FBS.
Unless they have something cooking I would be surprised.........which means he will :lol:
Buckshot specifically said when he signed that a major reason he chose Liberty was the opportunity to play right away, break records and leave a lasting mark on a program.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
He is going to break records in year 2. If he transferred could he red shirt and have two years of eligibility left ?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The attractive thing to him would be one of those Florida schools. With how FAU, FIU, USF, and UCF are playing, that would be a much higher profile than Liberty. That said, I don't know that three of those four coaches are there in two years so I don't know how attractive they'd actually be.
UCF has a sophomore QB who is having s great year. If he transferred there that would be a huge mistake.

I can see him possibly transferring but I don't see him benefiting the same way Seth Curry did going to Duke.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:OH and Buckshot's record watch:

He needs 118 passing yards to break Phil Basso's 1984 record of 3226 yards for the season. He should break that in the first quarter!

He has more 400 yard passing games than any LU quarterback and after this season he will only need 4 more 300 yard games to secure that record.

This may be a little to early, but Buckshot has a GREAT chance to be the drafted as high as Walt Aikens was.
What do you think the chances are that he has a shot at Josh's career yardage total?
So, that is a question BJ. Short answer I think he will break Josh's career yardage record as long as he doesn't get hurt. Not to mention we play Auburn next year too, yikes!

Here is why I believe Buckshot will break Josh's record.
(And I am assuming <which we know what that does> that he throws for his average vs CSU. His average is 310 a ball game.)
#1. Thru 2 seasons he is averaging 243 yards per game.
#2. Thru 2 seasons he has totaled 5,341 yards. Fun Fact: He has 42 TD's to 14 Int's!!!!!!!
#3. As long as he is not injured/suspended, he will play atleast 24 games the next two years and possibly 25. That is 2 to 3 extra games more than an FCS schedule.
#4 So, if he just throws for his average of 243 from the last two seasons combined while playing these 24 games he will total 5,832 yards passing. His career total would be 11,173, which would be basically 1,000 yards more than Woodrum.
#5. Now, take in this possibility. Let's say Buckshot throws for 310 a game over the next two years. That total would be 7,440 for the next 2 years. Which wold then put his total for career to 12,781 yards. Well over 2,000 yards more than Woodrum.
#6. Finally, I do not see with how this offense is built and with our top 4 receivers coming back that they change the offense. Further, the receivers that we are bringing in will also be good enough to keep this trajectory going forward.

Yeah, that's my 2 cents. :)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Whether he breaks Woodrum's records or not, he is a much better QB than Josh will ever be/was, right now. He is a little bit undersized, but if he puts on a few lbs. and stays mobile, I see him getting a solid shot at being drafted.
Don't know if he has ever played baseball before, but he has received some very minor interest from some baseball scouts as well.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Damien feels he will be drafted, and drafted highly. If I heard his comments on the radio the other evening correctly.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]