Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
As we transition into FBS Independent, what do you consider a success over the next five years?

We know the schedule for 2018 and 2019. We have partial schedules for 2020, 21, and 22.

With no conference championship to play for, where do you put the bar for success?
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
4-5 wins each of the first two years would be success. Especially with how things are currently playing out in the mighty Big South Conference.
By Jonathan Carone
lawrenceq wrote:4-5 wins each of the first two years would be success. Especially with how things are currently playing out in the mighty Big South Conference.
What about the next three years?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Winning records and Bowl invites.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I agree, that's how most teams define success today. go to a bowl , most are happy.

Now for some, i.e. Alabama, it's a National Championship. Anything less is a bad season.
By Ewglenn
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:6-6 with a bowl appreance
One time? Yearly? How many times do you expect that between 2018 and 2022?
A season is a success at the FBS level if you go 6-6 with bowl invites. I would say 3 out of the first five would be a good start.
By Ewglenn
ballcoach15 wrote:If we don't find a defense, we are going no where.
I've said it a couple of times, pony up and get Brent Venerables. The guy will at least fix the defense. Coming for a championship team and could build something here.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think if we show steady improvement over the first 5 years with a bowl game in year 4 and/or 5 that would be success.

We will be essentially starting over next year. We will have a new coach with a new philosophy as we enter into a very different world. Expecting to make a bowl game before year 4 of this process is unrealistic. Patience will be key for the fan base.
By Ewglenn
thepostman wrote:I think if we show steady improvement over the first 5 years with a bowl game in year 4 and/or 5 that would be success.

We will be essentially starting over next year. We will have a new coach with a new philosophy as we enter into a very different world. Expecting to make a bowl game before year 4 of this process is unrealistic. Patience will be key for the fan base.
That's fair. I would say 3 Bowl games in the first five years would be big success. I would be happy to just look like we belong. Like CCU's season so far minus the blowout by WIU I would be pleased for next year. Wins like umass, close games with teams that are lower tier teams and just try to stay healthy against teams that are just flat out better.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:4-5 wins each of the first two years would be success. Especially with how things are currently playing out in the mighty Big South Conference.
What about the next three years?
6-7 games
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Success - 2 bowl games in the next 5 years. Never fewer than 5 wins and attendance averaging above 20,000.

Expectations - 1 bowl game in the next 5 years. A 3 win season in 2018 or 2019. Average attendance for first two years is 17,500.

Failure - No bowl games in first five years, Not going .500 in first 5 years, and average attendance below 20,000 year 5.

I could see a scenario where wins and bowl appearances and attendance are all really poor, but we have had some major successes in the football program. Stadium expansion, uniform improvements, Ian is noticeably given full reign over athletics, and a better recruiting image.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Winning records and Bowl invites.
How often over the next five years?
After year 1. Every year. LU rolled the dice. This is what needs to happen to justify the play
By Ewglenn
I really feel like next year and the year after will be our best chance to get to 6-6 and get to a bowl in the first five years. The schedule really gets tougher in 2020. I think 4-8 is probably where we will end up next year. NMSU and umass are typically really bad. CCU beat UMASS by 10 then lost to WIU(FCS) by 42 this year.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
If we can steadily improve each year on the field and in recruiting I will be happy. How that will look on the record end of things.

2018 - 4 to 6 wins = success
2019 - 4 to 7 wins = success
- With the way some of these teams are playing on our 2019 schedule, it wouldn't surprise me if we were bowl eligible and got an invite. This will depend on who we hire though.
2020 - 5 to 7 wins = success
2021 - 6 to 8 wins & bowl = success
2022 - 6 to 8 wins & bowl = success

ALOT to look forward to with this transition.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
I've said it a couple of times, pony up and get Brent Venerables. The guy will at least fix the defense. Coming for a championship team and could build something here.
Venables. It's V-e-n-a-b-l-e-s. If you are a big fan of his, please get the name right. I generally don't care too much about grammar and spelling on a message board unless it's someone's name.
By Ewglenn
flamehunter wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
Venables. It's V-e-n-a-b-l-e-s. If you are a big fan of his, please get the name right. I generally don't care too much about grammar and spelling on a message board unless it's someone's name.
You must be fun at parties. For the record, new phones have something called auto-correct. :roll:
By Jonathan Carone
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:If we can steadily improve each year on the field and in recruiting I will be happy. How that will look on the record end of things.

2018 - 4 to 6 wins = success
2019 - 4 to 7 wins = success
- With the way some of these teams are playing on our 2019 schedule, it wouldn't surprise me if we were bowl eligible and got an invite. This will depend on who we hire though.
2020 - 5 to 7 wins = success
2021 - 6 to 8 wins & bowl = success
2022 - 6 to 8 wins & bowl = success

ALOT to look forward to with this transition.
I think this is a very fair outlook.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:I've said it a couple of times, pony up and get Brent Venerables. The guy will at least fix the defense. Coming for a championship team and could build something here.
You must be fun at parties. For the record, new phones have something called auto-correct. :roll:
Typical, blame the phone. You've done it a number of times. Old people do something called proof read, even on our phones with auto-correct. :oldhag :fineprint
And no I'm no party animal. But just get your guy's name right. It's not that hard.

And by the way, on my phone when I type in "Venables", it gives me "Venables". When I type in "Venerables", it gives me "Venerable". So I guess my phone is smarter than yours.
Last edited by flamehunter on October 25th, 2017, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]