Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Gardner-Webb University
Boiling Springs, North Carolina

GWU Football Official Site

Gardner-Webb Fans Message Board

Spangler Stadium
Opened in 1969 - Seats 9000

Carroll McCray
5th Season as GWU Head Coach

2017 Schedule/Results
  • SEP 02 - NC A&T ................................................... L 3-45
    SEP 09 - @ WYOMING ........................................... L 0-27
    SEP 16 - WESTERN CAROLINA ............................. L 27-42
    SEP 23 - @ WOFFORD .......................................... L 24-27
    OCT 07 - SHORTER ............................................... W 42-14
    OCT 14 - @ NC CENTRAL ...................................... L 17-24
    OCT 21 - @ KENNESAW ST. ................................... L 3-17
    OCT 28 - LIBERTY* ................................................ 12:00 PM ET
    NOV 04 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN*
    NOV 11 - @ MONMOUTH*
    NOV 18 - @ PRESBYTERIAN*

Key Players

#12 Tyrell Maxwell
    6' 2" 230 lbs Senior Quarterback
    Thru 7 Games: 69-of-148 (46.6%) for 762 Yds with 5 TDs & 7 INTs + 104 Carries for 607 Yds (5.8 YPC) with 5 TDs

#18 Jonathan Blackmon
    6' 0" 193 lbs Junior Running Back
    Thru 7 Games: 33 Carries for 171 Yds (5.2 YPC) with 2 TDs + 2 Catches for 6 Yds

#15 Brody Rollins
    5' 11" 182 lbs Receiver/Backup QB
    Thru 7 Games: 11 Catches for 163 Yds with 1 TD

#51 Kenyatta Dunbar
    5' 11" 214 lbs Senior Linebacker
    Thru 7 Games: 57 Tackles including 12/5 for Loss + 3 Sacks + 1 INT + 1 Forced Fumble

#6 Thomas Adams
    6' 2" 200 lbs Senior Defensive Back
    Thru 7 Games: 47 Tackles with 1 INT
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Their offense has struggled mightily against NCAA opponents. But their defense has kept them in games even against quality opponents like Wofford. Yes, this should be a win. But they have given us fits the past couple of years and I suspect this is a big date on their calendar.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Who besides McCracken is making this trip to Boiling Springs with its 8 stop lights at the same intersection?
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Who besides McCracken is making this trip to Boiling Springs with its 8 stop lights at the same intersection?
I’m not watching a second of it. I’ve lost the will for this season, much like the coaches.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Who besides McCracken is making this trip to Boiling Springs with its 8 stop lights at the same intersection?
I’m not watching a second of it. I’ve lost the will for this season, much like the coaches.
Same here. I’m entertaining not using my tickets for the rest of the year.
Did anyone else forget we had a team? I don't root for anyone else and just want to watch the Penn St v Ohio State game Saturday. I honestly don't see myself making any extra effort to watch the Flames on Saturday.

That said. I'm going to our home games. I've got tickets and free refills, they just get to add another +1 to the attendance. The 12th man has been Liberty's greatest Ally. I refuse to be a fair weather fan.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Only partial offense intended here. But are people not watching because their team is struggling the definition of Fair Weather or Band Wagon Fans?
By JODY REYNOLDS
They only gave up 17 points to Kenn St. Kenn St ran through our D like they weren’t on field. This is toss up. We could lose for sure. Rediculous. They should not be on field with us. They have facilities of a high school. I wonder how much a year they spend on Football. Safe to say not as much as us.
By Dirty 30
I will be making the trip to Boiling Springs to support this team. I understand the feelings with a lot of fans right now when your losing. We have to remember these are 18 to 22 year old guys who don't go out to lose, miss a tackle, a block, over throw a receiver, take a sack, drop a ball. We are a young team and I rather this happen now then next year. Since this losing streak started I have been watching the guys body language on the field and how they deal with the adversity. They are competing every snap. After every game these guys have had tears in their eyes, upset about how they are playing and letting us (fans) down after the start they had. I have been to every game and I love it. It kills me to see some of the things that are happening with our defense as well as with the offense but the guys are not quitting! You don't want to go to the game, that is your decision, you paid your money so it's your choice. Support your team if your true fan with the ups and downs. I am a USC Gamecock fan as well and I remember when we were 0-21, the stadium still had 82,000 at the game. We were terrible but the fans were there. They wanted Holtz fired, then they wanted him as the next president, same thing with Spurrier. Let's support these guys, don't worry about the coaches, support these players. Since my son committed to Liberty I have been a Flame and I will continue to be a flame. After his time is up, I will continue supporting the Flames and come to games. The reason why, I fell in love with the community and fans that come to the games in Lynchburg from the recruit visits until now and does my son. It reminded us of the fans back in SC. These guys are playing hard. They will turn it around starting this weekend. Watch the game this weekend and watch there body language and look at the youth on the field. These guys are playing hard. We know what these guys can do, they just have to do it! Don't turn your back on these boys, support them, they care and they want to make us happy!
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Only partial offense intended here. But are people not watching because their team is struggling the definition of Fair Weather or Band Wagon Fans?
I get that but I live 6 hours from Lynchburg and have season tickets. Why should I drive 6 hours, pay for gas and food both ways only to watch the product our coaches put on the field. If you ask me I care more than they do. Especially considering turner was looking for another job recently.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Only partial offense intended here. But are people not watching because their team is struggling the definition of Fair Weather or Band Wagon Fans?
I get that but I live 6 hours from Lynchburg and have season tickets. Why should I drive 6 hours, pay for gas and food both ways only to watch the product our coaches put on the field. If you ask me I care more than they do. Especially considering turner was looking for another job recently.
The 6 Hour drive is fair. I’m not sure I’d drive that far for any team I support on a regular basis.
As for Gill looking for other opportunities, can you blame him? It’s the nature of the beast. He didn’t have a 20 year deal in Place at LU so why not?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:I will be making the trip to Boiling Springs to support this team. I understand the feelings with a lot of fans right now when your losing. We have to remember these are 18 to 22 year old guys who don't go out to lose, miss a tackle, a block, over throw a receiver, take a sack, drop a ball. We are a young team and I rather this happen now then next year. Since this losing streak started I have been watching the guys body language on the field and how they deal with the adversity. They are competing every snap. After every game these guys have had tears in their eyes, upset about how they are playing and letting us (fans) down after the start they had. I have been to every game and I love it. It kills me to see some of the things that are happening with our defense as well as with the offense but the guys are not quitting! You don't want to go to the game, that is your decision, you paid your money so it's your choice. Support your team if your true fan with the ups and downs. I am a USC Gamecock fan as well and I remember when we were 0-21, the stadium still had 82,000 at the game. We were terrible but the fans were there. They wanted Holtz fired, then they wanted him as the next president, same thing with Spurrier. Let's support these guys, don't worry about the coaches, support these players. Since my son committed to Liberty I have been a Flame and I will continue to be a flame. After his time is up, I will continue supporting the Flames and come to games. The reason why, I fell in love with the community and fans that come to the games in Lynchburg from the recruit visits until now and does my son. It reminded us of the fans back in SC. These guys are playing hard. They will turn it around starting this weekend. Watch the game this weekend and watch there body language and look at the youth on the field. These guys are playing hard. We know what these guys can do, they just have to do it! Don't turn your back on these boys, support them, they care and they want to make us happy!
Well said. I know the players hate losing and are disappointed in themselves. They deserve better leadership, in my opinion, than what they've been getting from the coaching staff. At least that's the view from where I sit.
By Class of 20Something
I think there is a difference between making a decision not to watch and not watching because of the tide.

I have been a season ticket holder for a whopping three years now, but that's how long I've lived in Lynchburg since I separated. I stayed for 4 quarters in the frigid rain to watch us lose to JMU back in 2009 as a student. I watched every game I could find online wherever the Air Force had me. I will not abandon the team for a bad season. I have family plans Saturday that will prevent me from watching and the 4 game skid has made me as complacent as I can be missing a game.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It's hard to care when it appears nobody else on the team does.
By willflop
I've already gone through the five stages of grief, so I look forward to watching. It'll be exciting to see just how far we can take this losing streak!

I feel bad for the players, but like others have said, part of me wants it to be crystal clear at the end of the season that a change is needed.
By PAFlame
Dirty 30 wrote:I will be making the trip to Boiling Springs to support this team. I understand the feelings with a lot of fans right now when your losing. We have to remember these are 18 to 22 year old guys who don't go out to lose, miss a tackle, a block, over throw a receiver, take a sack, drop a ball. We are a young team and I rather this happen now then next year. Since this losing streak started I have been watching the guys body language on the field and how they deal with the adversity. They are competing every snap. After every game these guys have had tears in their eyes, upset about how they are playing and letting us (fans) down after the start they had. I have been to every game and I love it. It kills me to see some of the things that are happening with our defense as well as with the offense but the guys are not quitting! You don't want to go to the game, that is your decision, you paid your money so it's your choice. Support your team if your true fan with the ups and downs. I am a USC Gamecock fan as well and I remember when we were 0-21, the stadium still had 82,000 at the game. We were terrible but the fans were there. They wanted Holtz fired, then they wanted him as the next president, same thing with Spurrier. Let's support these guys, don't worry about the coaches, support these players. Since my son committed to Liberty I have been a Flame and I will continue to be a flame. After his time is up, I will continue supporting the Flames and come to games. The reason why, I fell in love with the community and fans that come to the games in Lynchburg from the recruit visits until now and does my son. It reminded us of the fans back in SC. These guys are playing hard. They will turn it around starting this weekend. Watch the game this weekend and watch there body language and look at the youth on the field. These guys are playing hard. We know what these guys can do, they just have to do it! Don't turn your back on these boys, support them, they care and they want to make us happy!
Dirty 30, I agree with you, the players ARE fighting tooth and nail to win and are not giving up. The problem is when the people who are put in charge of them have stopped caring about setting these young men up for success. Do I believe this staff cares? I believe they care as best they can, and are doing to the best of their abilities, which is not good enough when the talent is there and plenty of people would do better with Liberty's amount of resources. I am not dismissing the players, they are doing the best with what the coaching staff is giving them, and unfortunately, it's painfully obvious its not anywhere near acceptable, for Liberty or even programs with lower expectations. A change is needed, and anybody who is defending the play on the field or the job that this staff is doing has warped perceptions on how you manage a business (hate to go there, but college football IS a business).
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]