Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Alrighty,
Allow me my two cents worth. There are some that love tg and some that want him gone. This goes for this board and those beyond. So, I will begin with an old statement I once heard: “Love is blind, your neighbor is not”. Yes, we can be blinded by love, allegiance, or whatever else we plant our flag so dearly in. Let me be clear this is not a moral judgement against anyone nor a slight on any playing career, just coaching as a head coach.
Let us look at this without regression analysis but still hold to the statistics. Recall, numbers do not lie. So, I will begin with stating a simple record (statistical fact). Gill as a head coach: Buffalo 2-10, 5-7, 8-6, 5-7 overall. Conference 1-7, 5-3, 5-3, 3-5. Kansa 3-9, 2-10. Conference 1-7, 0-9. Liberty 6-5, 8-4, 9-5, 6-5, 6-5, and as I write 3-3. Conference 5-1, 4-1, 4-1, 3-3, 4-1, and as I write 0-1. Pretty clear Liberty is his best overall outing with one playoff showing where 1-1 was the result. Some will say his 8-6, 5-3 outing at Buffalo when Buffalo went to the international bowl was his best. The bowl game was earned by an upset of 12-0 Ball State in the championship for the conference. The international bowl game was a loss to 7-5 Connecticut. Overall a losing coaching record.
Let’s just look at Liberty now. After all, the numbers count here as this is his current job. 38-28 overall (before Monmouth 10.21.17). Average at liberty 6.3 wins, 4.66 losses. Without throwing out statistical probabilities I would assume it is safe to say average. Now we can expand this comparing conference strengths and common opponents but that would require much mathematical work. So, from her I digress to my opinion (opinion means non-statistical)
Let’s admit, the Big South is not considered by any means a football conference. Heck, we just earned an automatic bid into the playoffs. Great man with faith but by no means does this create an individual who is a top performer. He is average as a coach. Losses at Liberty to average or less than average teams. Some good wins mixed in but still average. Let me assume I were at a division 1 school would I hire Turner Gill? Heck, even back when Gill was a hot prospect Nebraska did not even want him. Kansas took him for two years and even bought him out to let him go. At best he is a coordinator at D1 or can coach D2 or 3. Just imagine if Auburn had hired him. I would not hire him for coaching. If we want to win the numbers alone tell us he is not the guy to take us to the next level.
REDO. I had to leave for a family outing and Liberty gave up a 60 burger!!!!!!!!!!! So, one more extremely poor loss to an inferior team. Is that enough said? I think so. This team is so poorly coached.
Good luck in the future Mr. Gill.
FIRE GILL.
By JODY REYNOLDS
Awesome data. I have been looking at Brandon Streeter online all morning. We need to get him to LU. We need to stop facility development and drop some of that cash on Streeter. We have good enough facilities after we finish planned upgrades. It will probably take a million to drag him from his alma mater. College football is about having the right coach. The NFL is about having the right QB. Young, energetic, recruits well. Understands Liberty. Let’s get him Mccaw. Please do not go after Art Briles. That is Mccaws buddy. That would be horrible.
By BigRed1
Very well written piece. You’ve given great detail to show what I’ve said all along. Gill is an average coach at best. Always has been, always will be. Just because he lucked up by upsetting a team while at Buffalo, many try to label him as successful. Kind of reminds me of Lane Kiffin. Look at how many coaching jobs he’s had. Not one based on actual success as a head coach. All were based on presumption.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JODY REYNOLDS wrote:I have been looking at Brandon Streeter online all morning. We need to get him to LU. We need to stop facility development and drop some of that cash on Streeter. We have good enough facilities after we finish planned upgrades. It will probably take a million to drag him from his alma mater.
We have -CASH- that CUSA didn't want. Streeter makes a lot of sense. He's recruiting for Clemson and I'm sure he knows where the up and coming talent is. We have good athletes now, just need to build on it.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
What was roccos original connection to streeter that got him here? Also to refresh the memory he served as qb coach then OC for us before returning to clemson right?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, dam lies and statistics- Mark Twain (quoting Benjamin Disraeli)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
JODY REYNOLDS wrote:I have been looking at Brandon Streeter online all morning. We need to get him to LU. We need to stop facility development and drop some of that cash on Streeter. We have good enough facilities after we finish planned upgrades. It will probably take a million to drag him from his alma mater.
We have -CASH- that CUSA didn't want. Streeter makes a lot of sense. He's recruiting for Clemson and I'm sure he knows where the up and coming talent is. We have good athletes now, just need to build on it.
That’s not the coach on Clemson’s staff that some people want
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
There’s a lot of folks on here that want Streeter but number one he’s not been a coordinator outside of FCS so he’s still very young in the profession to know how good of a head coach he can be and number 2 Ian has no connection to him to take a risk on someone like him. My guess would be Venables has a better shot than streeter.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:There’s a lot of folks on here that want Streeter but number one he’s not been a coordinator outside of FCS so he’s still very young in the profession to know how good of a head coach he can be and number 2 Ian has no connection to him to take a risk on someone like him. My guess would be Venables has a better shot than streeter.
Think bigger
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Streeter... everything I've read about him says that he has been instrumental in developing offenses into passing machines, particularly at Liberty and Richmond. Don't think that passing is an area we really need help on. Hopefully McCaw will be looking at someone with more experience. I'm sure he is a great guy and he is good at what he does, but why in the world would anyone think he'd be great as a head coach? By the way, that wasn't a rhetorical question.
By Jonathan Carone
A couple things here:
rogers3 wrote:Streeter... everything I've read about him says that he has been instrumental in developing offenses into passing machines, particularly at Liberty and Richmond. Don't think that passing is an area we really need help on.
You are thinking of who we have currently. That guy is gone in two years. Plus, if he’s this good with average coaching and questionable play calling, imagine what he could be with someone with Streeter’s QB experience helping with his development.
rogers3 wrote:Hopefully McCaw will be looking at someone with more experience. I'm sure he is a great guy and he is good at what he does, but why in the world would anyone think he'd be great as a head coach? By the way, that wasn't a rhetorical question.
Here’s his resume:

Offensive coordinator at two Top 25 FCS programs
QB coach for All Americans at the FCS and FBS level
Recruiting coordinator for a top five FBS program

An intangible of Streeter is that he’s the son of a very successful head coach. His dad was the head coach at Gettysburg College for over 30 years. While it’s only Division III, being around the head coach for that long gives him a unique perspective.

Lastly, as a player, he was a starting QB in the ACC and on the Academic Honor Roll.

Streeter is one of those guys that is looked at as “going to be a head coach one day.” I don’t know that he’s ready yet nor do I know if he’d want to leave his alma mater that has been built to a top five program under a coach he played for to come to a place he left on not great terms who is transitioning as an independent. The two biggest selling points would be money and getting a jump start on being a head coach.

If you were him, would you go to Liberty and try to build something that’s never been done or would you position yourself for OC at Clemson when the current OC leaves and then get a high G5/low P5 head coaching gig in 5-6 years? It’s a tough question and one any candidate we go after will ask themselves.
By JODY REYNOLDS
It is realistic to get Streeter. I don’t think Chip Kelly or any other big name will bite for the job. Tennessee is about to fire Butch Jones. He will probably end up in the MAC conference somewhere. I really think taking Streeter is a high risk/high reward situation. If it works out, great. If it doesn’t, then it can’t get worse. I am tired of throwing up in my mouth watching the D get gashed. Sure he doesn’t have HC experience. But he is a winner. He coached a Heisman Trophy winner and won a natty. He knows what right looks like. Turner Gill rode Tom Osborne’s coat tales in the 90s. He has not been a part of winning since those Nebraska power houses of the 90s. It can’t get worse. Kennesaw State (like 2nd or 3rd year program)rushed for almost 500 yards on us. What is Army going to do next year? Auburn??Shea Patterson at Ole Miss? Sure, TG is good guy when he is not frustrated cussing out SOTM band members, but this has ran its course.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
OC at Clemson probably will pay the same. He knows what LU is about. And if he didn't like it from previous experience....
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, dam lies and statistics- Mark Twain (quoting Benjamin Disraeli)
Then there are people who know a successful football coach when they see one. TG doesn't fit the bill at all, in any way, anywhere.

Gill 4 life.
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:There are two types of coaches available. Those who are a known quantity as a head coach in FBS, and those who are an unknown quantity at this level.

Of the known ones, you aren't going to get one of the winners. That leaves the losers, and we already have one of those.

The unknown quantities seem riskier, but in our current shoes it's the only way you are going to find a winner.

Give me an up and comer who is a winner.
Couldn’t agree more. I would add you won’t see the coordinators at known winning P5 schools either.
By JODY REYNOLDS
Give him 1 million with incentives. I.E bowl game gets you 500,000 or another million. Start with a million. Be prepared to go higher. Only give him 3 year contract though in case he fails.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:There are two types of coaches available. Those who are a known quantity as a head coach in FBS, and those who are an unknown quantity at this level.

Of the known ones, you aren't going to get one of the winners. That leaves the losers, and we already have one of those.

The unknown quantities seem riskier, but in our current shoes it's the only way you are going to find a winner.

Couldn’t agree more. I would add you won’t see the coordinators at known winning P5 schools either.
But that is Sooo not the Liberty Way
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts

Agree, we need a winning coach, who has had some experience as a HC in a FBS program. Not sure there are many of those around who would consider LU a good fit or vice versa. Hopefully IM can find the right guy. If not, we will be hiring another "up and comer" possibly with no HC experience........................... again.
Don't believe (I am not going to do the research), we have ever hired an experienced, head coach that was successful at the current level or higher classification than we were playing, with the exception of SR. He was a HC at the NFL level at least.

Gill 4 life
By JODY REYNOLDS
With Streeter, if pay is same for him to be OC at Clemson, then it will probably come down to whether wife wants to come. If he came and was successful he would probably be gone inside 5 years. We become like Memphis or Houston. Only way we get a good coach and keep him is if LU is dream job or we land in power 5 conference like ACC( not gonna happen). So whoever we get is just passing through. I am sure TG thought he was passing through. Didn’t work out and now he went from Auburn considering him to armchair qbs like me talking about getting rid of him. But, I guess if TG could clean house, we might be better off keeping him if you consider all that. New DC is a must and we have to get more talented in DL and Offensive Line.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JODY REYNOLDS wrote:With Streeter, if pay is same for him to be OC at Clemson, then it will probably come down to whether wife wants to come. If he came and was successful he would probably be gone inside 5 years. We become like Memphis or Houston. Only way we get a good coach and keep him is if LU is dream job or we land in power 5 conference like ACC( not gonna happen). So whoever we get is just passing through. I am sure TG thought he was passing through. Didn’t work out and now he went from Auburn considering him to armchair qbs like me talking about getting rid of him. But, I guess if TG could clean house, we might be better off keeping him if you consider all that. New DC is a must and we have to get more talented in DL and Offensive Line.
Really? TG is why these guys are here. If you don't cut the head off the snake, it won't die.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Rocco was on the short list for the Wake opening.

I doubt he was seriously considered. He might be now after some more HC experience and some success at Richmond. If he does well at Delaware, he will certainly be a big -time FBS target.

Gill 4 life

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]