Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Who would you target?

Current P5 Head Coach
6%
Current G5 Head Coach
24%
P5 Coordinator
24%
G5 Coordinator
4%
P5 Assistant Coach
20%
G5 Assistant Coach
2%
Current FCS Head Coach
14%
Retired/fired FBS/NFL Head Coach
6%
By Ewglenn
Would y'all be interested in a coach that runs the triple option? I always hated playing the service academies or GT. They are so efficient and it levels the playing field in terms of talent gap. Maybe a good triple option could cause problems for teams leading to wins?
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:Would y'all be interested in a coach that runs the triple option? I always hated playing the service academies or GT. They are so efficient and it levels the playing field in terms of talent gap. Maybe a good triple option could cause problems for teams leading to wins?
ballcoach would be a hard NO

To me that fits ‘Putting stamp on Program ‘
I mean it's boring to me but I also will get over that if they are winning.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:Would y'all be interested in a coach that runs the triple option? I always hated playing the service academies or GT. They are so efficient and it levels the playing field in terms of talent gap. Maybe a good triple option could cause problems for teams leading to wins?
ballcoach would be a hard NO

To me that fits ‘Putting stamp on Program ‘
I mean it's boring to me but I also will get over that if they are winning.
I think with Buckshot it’s not a good idea and a waste of talent.
But I actually find it entertaining to watch. You literally never know which one play will break for 80 yds. Because any play could
By Jonathan Carone
It’s not my ideal but I could see the value in it. We are in a similar situation as the academies in that our code of conduct makes coming here something many high end athletes wouldn’t be interested in. The option is the equalizer. I’d prefer the spread option or the Chadwell option over the Johnson option but it definitely could work.
By rtb72
Ewglenn wrote:I personally like the Elon coach. A Christian school close by that is winning. Elon has never won much of anything. So it's pretty impressive.
I agree the new Elon coach is starting to bring the program around for the first time in a long time. I think some more time will truly dictate how effective he is...but this year they have really done well. As for it being a Christian school. That is no longer how they affiliate themselves. Elon removed the "Fighting Christians" mascot years ago....one reason was to become more secular. I think they have over achieved in that area. Elon is more liberal than Chapel Hill now. Some alumni have revealed sadness at the direction the University has gone idealogically and philosophically.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
It’s not my ideal but I could see the value in it. We are in a similar situation as the academies in that our code of conduct makes coming here something many high end athletes wouldn’t be interested in. The option is the equalizer. I’d prefer the spread option or the Chadwell option over the Johnson option but it definitely could work.
I'm sure you know why, but I'm sure a few here don't know why the TO favors service academies.

Every cadet at every service academy has to be able to pass that services Physical Fitness Test by the end of the spring semester. This limits your linemen a lot. A lot a lot.

Minimum passing scores for each service

Air Force

1.5 Mile Run - <13:36

Waist Measurement - <39"

Army

2 Mile Run - <15:54

Navy

Body Composition Assessment (Body Fat %) - <22%

1.5 Mile Run - <12:45

In summary the academies fitness standards lean on cardiovascular and aerobic fitness. This favors use of the triple option and can exhaust defenses early in games. Additionally, the big men will never be near the size of their opponents because of the weight and fitness requirements in the off season.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In a women's sport at Elon, they have a lesbian head coach. Elon is not a Christian school.

As for Triple Option,............................................................ No
By Ewglenn
rtb72 wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:I personally like the Elon coach. A Christian school close by that is winning. Elon has never won much of anything. So it's pretty impressive.
I agree the new Elon coach is starting to bring the program around for the first time in a long time. I think some more time will truly dictate how effective he is...but this year they have really done well. As for it being a Christian school. That is no longer how they affiliate themselves. Elon removed the "Fighting Christians" mascot years ago....one reason was to become more secular. I think they have over achieved in that area. Elon is more liberal than Chapel Hill now. Some alumni have revealed sadness at the direction the University has gone idealogically and philosophically.
Valid points. I can honestly say I know very little about Elon except they are always pretty bad at football.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If I b the AD, I assemble a small group of former players and a couple of other administration people to help come up with a group of candidates. People would be shocked at some of the people who have contacts with good coaches who would welcome the chance to come to LU. (I saw a list sent to JB to fill the baseball coaches job and he was not aware of many of them) Several were much bigger names than our current coach, with MLB playing and coaching experience. Nothing against our current coach. I also aware of a former football coach at UGA that applied for a job at LU and didn't get it. He told me that JB seemed to be intimidated by him, when he interviewed.
I see IM as a much more learned individual and able to make a good decision . But I also believe that using others for input can be very valuable, especially since he is fairly new to LU. An outside consulting firm obviously didn't do a very good job last time they recommended a candidate for football. Especially since he was pretty much the only candidate.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I've seen search committees - the likes of which you are proposing, Flameshaw - do very well. I have also seen them perform very poorly. It's not just about the success of the person who gets the job. Hopefully they do more background BEFORE trying to put together a list.

1. Why did this HC fail?
2. What do we know now about what it takes that we didn't know last time?
3. Describe the next head coach we need.
4. List candidates who meet this criteria.
5. Present list to AD.

Just because a firm may have gotten it wrong with TG, doesn't mean LU shouldn't or wouldn't use one again.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I've seen search committees - the likes of which you are proposing, Flameshaw - do very well. I have also seen them perform very poorly. It's not just about the success of the person who gets the job. Hopefully they do more background BEFORE trying to put together a list.

1. Why did this HC fail?
5. Present list to AD.

Just because a firm may have gotten it wrong with TG, doesn't mean LU shouldn't or wouldn't use one again.
The questions you asked are the ones search firms pay to ask. Plus, you don't have the Politics, Prejudices and Hidden Agendas that 'In House' committees do
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Search firms are paid to ask, I think you mean.

I agree.
Grammar. Spelling. Whatevs. :D
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Current FBS Coach (Gof5)

Who: Bill Clark

Why: Resume, Faith, My Coach In HS, Recruiting Ties
106-11 as High School Coach
4 Years as DCO at South Alabama as they transitioned to FBS.
1 Season as JSU Head Coach. During his only season as head coach at Jacksonville State, Clark led the Gamecocks to their first playoff victories, 49 school records, 13 OVC records and three NCAA records.
Currently in 2nd Season at UAB. Led them to first bowl game in years in ‘15, led them through a bunch of crap to reestablish program in ‘16, and currently sits second in the the C-USA at 4-2.
Only 49 Years Old, has been successful at every stop. Has transition to FBS experience. Recruiting ties to much of southeast. Has FCS & FBS HC experience. Is a Christian. Clean record, Family Man, Defensive Minded yet none of his programs have been offensively inept.
May not be a huge name to average cfb fans, but his name is a lot more well known that you’d think. Unless Ian really thinks he has a shot at a coach that is a top
candidate for P5 schools, which maybe we do, this would be a really solid move IMO.

Why Come: Money & Higher Ceiling than UAB

Rumored candidate for current P5 schools so LU would need to move now with a lot of money!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I'm on the record for being on the Streeter bandwagon. Streeter is an up and coming coach. Loves the school and is a Liberty guy. I believe if he has success it would take the right school for him to jump unlike someone who would take the first p5 offer that would come his way.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I've seen search committees - the likes of which you are proposing, Flameshaw - do very well. I have also seen them perform very poorly. It's not just about the success of the person who gets the job. Hopefully they do more background BEFORE trying to put together a list.

1. Why did this HC fail?
5. Present list to AD.

Understand what you are saying. However, there have been very, very few times when an alumni-type committee has been used, if ever at LU. Maybe giving it a shot, is not a bad idea. Like I said, hard to do any worse than an outside committee. Besides, when a candidate is chosen, we do use an internal committee of sports admin-types to interview them. Can you imagine an employee being fully transparent with his/her boss? Not real likely. I am just suggesting that we put some knowledgeable alumni on the search committee to begin with, to help pick the candidates. With IM so new to the university, it might be helpful for his first major hire. Not suggesting that he is not capable, it just might present some people/ideas that he doesn't know about. We have a lot of good resources that we don't take advantage of. I suspect that JB was too insecure in himself to listen to others. I doubt that would happen with IM.

Gill 4 life.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:In a women's sport at Elon, they have a lesbian head coach. Elon is not a Christian school.

As for Triple Option,............................................................ No
Thank you for clarifying that. I forgot that God had certain people chosen to determine where someone's heart is based on their lifestyle. Elon is Christian in the same vein as LC. If I were thinking about making a replacement from that school, I'd go back in the years and look at Pete Lembo, now the Asst. Head Coach at Maryland. He gave us a couple of beatdowns back in the day.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Clark would be a good candidate. His name has been mentioned to replace a current SEc coach who is on hot seat.

If and when we are in market for a new coach, I believe there will be one person on search committee. IM

Now granted he may use a Company to do dirty work behind the scenes and background checks, etc.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:In a women's sport at Elon, they have a lesbian head coach. Elon is not a Christian school.

Thank you for clarifying that. I forgot that God had certain people chosen to determine where someone's heart is based on their lifestyle. Elon is Christian in the same vein as LC. If I were thinking about making a replacement from that school, I'd go back in the years and look at Pete Lembo, now the Asst. Head Coach at Maryland. He gave us a couple of beatdowns back in the day.
I wonder if AST Coaches count. Cause LU has had a couple of those. Or maybe that’s ok so long as they are not head Coaches :dontgetit
(BTW you guys do awesome work)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Clark would be a good candidate. His name has been mentioned to replace a current SEc coach who is on hot seat.

If and when we are in market for a new coach, I believe there will be one person on search committee. IM

Now granted he may use a Company to do dirty work behind the scenes and background checks, etc.
There will be at least 2 You forgot whose school this is
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:

I wonder if AST Coaches count. Cause LU has had a couple of those. Or maybe that’s ok so long as they are not head Coaches :dontgetit
(BTW you guys do awesome work)
Yep, I know for a fact that there have been assistants on coaching staffs who are gay/lesibian/bi. As well as prayer leaders, SLDs, RAs, athletes, etc...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well LU isn’t a Christian School than according to ballcoach
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:Well LU isn’t a Christian School than according to ballcoach
Ball coach is a sith. Only a sith deals in absolutes.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I put FCS head coach. I think LU would be better off looking for a successful FCS coach and enticing them with their first head FBS coaching job than trying to hire a fired or retired "name". I really like the guy from Elon. And used to coach at d2 IUP before that. My sister went there. He won games in two tough places. I think his record is something like 52-17. And he went to the post season 6 of the last 7 years. He's my favorite choice.

If we did decide to go with a coordinator, then Streeter is the only one I'm really excited about. He knows the LU culture, and he would get someone that could run a productive offense with an identity.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]