Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
R i wrote:His daughter took to twitter and I will paraphrase ,

" In 25 years I have never heard him swear, so I have a hard time believing he cussed out the band"
She's not the most unbiased source but it appears very out of character for him, which is why he's getting the benefit of the doubt. I don't know the other coaches well enough but there could have been one close who said it and when people looked up they saw Gill.
The whole thing was bizarre from the car unveiling to the Band to the game. Crazy
Do the band members necessarily even know what he actually looks like? Could they have seen/heard another coach and just assumed it was him? I find it highly unlikely that Gill would have used that language if all I have heard about his character is true. I'm no saint but I have never used that phraseology no matter how angry I have become at times. It's just not in my nature to do that because of my upbringing (my mom).
By Jonathan Carone
Let's play detective a little bit:

Colorguard says they were yelled at to get the f off the field while performing in front of 17,000 people. They say a black man yell that at them. There are seven black men on our coaching staff. In the moment, with adrenaline going and while performing, it's very likely the girls in the guard got Gill mixed up with another person on the staff.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Let's play detective a little bit:

Colorguard says they were yelled at to get the f off the field while performing in front of 17,000 people. They say a black man yell that at them. There are seven black men on our coaching staff. In the moment, with adrenaline going and while performing, it's very likely the girls in the guard got Gill mixed up with another person on the staff.
That's why I'm holding off judgment. It could also be they KNOW what he looks like and a coach near him said that. When they looked in that direction he's the only one they saw they recognized
I am operating under the reasoning that black and white coaches will he mingled together. This isn't public bussing in 1950's Alabama
By BigRed1
Class of 20Something wrote:If Gill is still the head coach Monday afternoon I'm not going to another game this season.

Send a message. This is not acceptable.
After going to Presbyterian last year and watching Liberty struggle to beat a team a good high school team could beat, I decided that I would never go to another game as long as Turner Gill was HC.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Seems really out of character for TG. If it was the colorguard, who ever yelled at them may have been justified. :shock:
By k9saber
R i wrote:Seems really out of character for TG. If it was the colorguard, who ever yelled at them may have been justified. :shock:
How so on the justification for yelling at the CG?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I am forever and eternally grateful for all the hard work and passion that those student/athletes* put into their craft. The flags and dances are such a big part of the game. If they needed a few extra minutes to finish the routine, that most everyone in the stadium paid to come and see, they have earned it. This may be the first year of LU colorguard that there are more drops during the game than during halftime performance, those girls have really improved. Dr Kerr has been hitting the recruiting trail hard, and really brought in some talent. Thank You Colorguard for all you do to make the game day experience so amazing.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Gill denies using the F word, and said no one heard anyone else say it either.

ColorGuard vs Head Coach round 2.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Gill denies using the F word, and said no one heard anyone else say it either.

ColorGuard vs Head Coach round 2.
Source?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Took it further and said hes never used that word in his life. I actually believe him here.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
PH - In his weekly press conference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:PH - In his weekly press conference.
Interesting someone asked him. I would have been interested in his demeanor and body language.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Took it further and said hes never used that word in his life. I actually believe him here.
I haven't used it either........this afternoon
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote: With the "get the f&$@! off the field" comments. I've heard a few other people confirm that these comments were made by Gill, and were directed at the color guard.
:dontgetit
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
VAGolf wrote: With the "get the f&$@! off the field" comments. I've heard a few other people confirm that these comments were made by Gill, and were directed at the color guard.
:dontgetit
Not sure what you're questioning, that's exactly what I've heard from multiple marching band members.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
It is interesting...his comments are so focused on the word used. I don't necessarily know that he used that word, and I think the questioning of whether or not it was Gill is legitimate. It's certainly possible that band members saw "black guy in a polo" and assumed it was Gill. It's also possible that the F word wasn't used. Maybe it was just "get the heck off my field" etc. Again, I don't know. I simply posted what I saw from a friend, and asked a few other marching band members that I know.

As I've said before, I don't care about the use of a curse word. Lots of our athletes, coaches and professors swear. If the accusations are true, my concern is with the disrespect shown towards students who were simply performing as they were instructed to do so.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Using the F word is all that bothers me about it.

If band members are going to post about it on social media as it were solid fact, Dr Kerr should be involved in resolving who saw it , and who heard it. If it was indeed Gill, and if he used the F word.

A twitter account that immediately accused Gill of cussing at the band, has recently deleted the tweet. I can see a defamation law suite coming if proper action is not taken by the band to get a clear picture of what happened. I am almost positive that the moment in question will be captured somewhat on film. You will not hear for sure, but there is a specific story going around that Gill used the F word when asked to step off of a color guard flag during the performance. That moment in time should be easy to point out if true.

Gill's outstanding reputation and character are on the line here, he wrote a letter responding to turmoil this summer, he will not let this go. So for all of those sharing what you heard, be prepared to give an answer is may advice.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Create Drama between the band and the coaching staff so no one will talk about how bad we lost on homecoming. Image
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Meanwhile we picked up a DL commit.
Meanwhile we still loss to St. Francis and Kennesaw State on homecoming.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I would wager at this point it was someone on staff not named Gill
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Here's something else that annoys me. Why does Gill feel the need to jump to the defensive? I wouldn't be happy if I was the accused party either, but at the same time, I would do something more than simply defend myself and my staff. Why not get in touch with the marching band? Have a conversation with the color guard and ask them what they heard? If someone on color guard is indeed making it up, they won't accept that meeting. And at that point, it's on color guard. Story over.

Jumping to the defensive just launches into an endless he said/she said, and Gill still looks bad.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Meanwhile we picked up a DL commit.
Name???
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just lik[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]