Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Before my father passed away, and without knowing anyone in the band, their halftime show was his favorite part of game day. Jon can confirm. :cry:
Tough crowd. Guess I might need to add a sarcasm meter to the post. No disrespect meant. That aside the band is still super, duper boring.
But let's get back to bashing our "successful" HC, that is a lot more fun and no sarcasm required. 8)
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:My friend, from marching band, posted this last night:

“One of the things I am most proud of in my life is having been a part of The Spirit of the Mountain at Liberty University. Through SOTM, I gained a love and a respect for my school that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. I made friends and memories that will last a lifetime. I was a part of something. And most importantly, I was using my talent for Christ. As band members, we put in long hours and hard work. There’s so much that goes into being a member of SOTM, including traveling to other schools and getting cussed at and things thrown at you. And not because you’re in the marching band (well maybe partly) but because you’re in a CHRISTIAN marching band.
To have this same kind of disrespect shown to the SOTM at home is just disgusting. I am absolutely shocked that the president of Liberty University was a part of this. You don’t get on the field, in the middle of formations during a half-time show. You don’t play a student’s instrument EVER, but most especially during a half-time show and you DON’T tell students, who attend the university you are a head coach for and who are also fellow Christians, to get the f$&@ off your field. Speaking from a Christian perspective, it’s not yours anyway, it’s God’s. You’re just supposed to be looking after it.
I do expect a public apology to the band. Because this is ridiculous. No wonder a lot of people don’t take Liberty or Jerry or Christians seriously if this is how we treat each other.
SOTM, just remember that you have a higher calling.
#libertyu #jlfalwell #spiritofthemountain #highercalling #iloveband”

Does anyone know what happened?
Jerry just posted this on Facebook:
We were honored to have former New York Giants player and Dancing With the Stars winner, Rashad Jennings, return to his alma mater for the football game Saturday night. I was on the field with Rashad before the band came out and several band members asked me to take Rashad out to play the snare drum with them while they were performing. (He is a snare drum player.) I honored their request and took him out to play. We almost got run over by the band several times but Rashad did a great job sharing a snare drum with one of the band members on the big video board. We are so proud of the Spirit of the Mountain band and impressed that they were creative enough to see the benefit of a celebrity joining them in the performance Saturday night! The vast majority of the crowd loved it!
I wonder if he actually wrote it - it sounds much more polite and nice than usual. He didn't even attack anyone in what he said! Maybe the PR people wrote it?
By PAFlame
I really wonder if this is case with JR (I won't comment on it involving Jennings because I think he has a good head on his shoulders) and this is what really happened. We all see what Trump is doing with forcing people to say certain things (Lindsay Graham INSISTING Trump shot a 72 in wind and pouring rain), and if JR is following path.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
“The horrible band didn’t get off the field. Nobody likes them. Sad!”

-what he probably really thinks
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I don't believe a band member asked Rashad to play snare drum. First of all, that's a weird request from a band member...just really weird (side note, there's not really an advantage to having a celebrity play with you). Second of all, why would a band member know that Rashad played snare drum? None of that sounds right.

Even assuming his story is 100% fact, why not at least say sorry? Why diminish the feelings of band members like that? He just jumps to defending himself, by telling band members that it was to their benefit? Feels more disrespectful than if he just hadn't said anything.

With the "get the f&$@! off the field" comments. I've heard a few other people confirm that these comments were made by Gill, and were directed at the color guard.
By Class of 20Something
Regardless of record, a Liberty HC using an fbomb on a student is unacceptable. I could maybe understand at an athlete in training camp or on maybe even on the sideline. But to direct it to a member of the band should be an outright dismissal.

The cynics will view it as Ian McCaw overcompensating for Baylor. I think it would really spark some of Liberty's supporters. Remind them that we aren't going to compromise certain things in our quest to compete at FBS.

I want the business savvy of Jr with the humility of Jonathan. It's truly saddening that he doesn't want the role.

It looks like Trey is being groomed for the President role at the University. Anyone have a feel if he is as egocentric as Jr?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Regardless of record, a Liberty HC using an fbomb on a student is unacceptable. I could maybe understand at an athlete in training camp or on maybe even on the sideline. But to direct it to a member of the band should be an outright dismissal.

The cynics will view it as Ian McCaw overcompensating for Baylor. I think it would really spark some of Liberty's supporters. Remind them that we aren't going to compromise certain things in our quest to compete at FBS.

I want the business savvy of Jr with the humility of Jonathan. It's truly saddening that he doesn't want the role.

It looks like Trey is being groomed for the President role at the University. Anyone have a feel if he is as egocentric as Jr?
It will be a flat out huge disappointment if it turns out Gill was the Coach involved in the incident. His biggest selling point is him being a great representative of the University. I’m with you, what is said on the field/court to your players in one thing. Doing that to someone not on your team is totally different
By rtb72
The band adds greatly to the college football atmosphere especially during the game and before. It would be BORING not to have them, and I think the vast majority of fans would agree. Not to hear the fight song after a TD would suck. Whether you like the HT show or not....you cannot discount what they add and the work they put in to do it. Secondly, I don't know TG personally but this contradicts what I perceive of him. I know we are all human and emotions can overwhelm us....but to have no more control than that would certainly demonstrate a lack in judgement and professionalism. That not withstanding, I think he knows it's possibly over, thus the frustration.

I have not seen his post game comments....anything out of character with that?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
First of all i like the band during the game. The halftime shows however stink and the “us against the world” mantra that band people have doesnt help their cause.

Jr’s involvement doesnt seem like a big deal. To blatantly call him a liar seems absurd to me. Especially if you read the comments on his FB post. There are multiple percussionists stating they liked it and i believe one even posted that they asked. This is a non issue to me.

Gill on the other hand, if true i think it shows things are unraveling. To come out after halftime and do that is really bad. If there was a time to say it it would have been right after that td before halftime, not after youve had time to collect yourself.
By Class of 20Something
It truly seems out of character. Most of us here have only been critical of him as a professional coach. He is widely revered by all as the manifestation of the spirituality of a Liberty football coach. If he truly said that to a band member it will be difficult to not have flashbacks to Ergun Caner.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I love the band's halftime show this year. This year and the Rock of Ages show from a few years ago are my favorites. I also liked the New York one where they played the trash cans, that was about 10 years ago.

Anyway, I know many posters on here used to be in the band, myself included. Way back in '97, I think it was, something happened and someone complained the band was on the field too long. After the game, some band members were upset, but the director said not to write to the champion (this was prior to fb being popular). .But the.point was, you don't call someone out like that publicly. A PM would have been a much better way to handle this, IMO.

I wasn't there so I have no idea what happened, but it sounds like it was just a gameday operations mix up. The unveiling of the car took time, and there wasn't enough left for a full fieldshow. Someone has to let the drum major or director know, and say, "Hey, we're running behind, you can only do two songs, etc."

It just seems like that was the main problem, and bc our team is down big, TG may have let his emotions get the best of him.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:
It just seems like that was the main problem, and bc our team is down big, TG may have let his emotions get the best of him.
I would have expected him to be upset and yelling at the band to get off the field, his team was down big at halftime in what felt like a must win. No problems there. If he indeed use the F bomb and multiple people heard and can confirm, that should be addressed publicly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:
I would have expected him to be upset and yelling at the band to get off the field, his team was down big at halftime in what felt like a must win. No problems there. If he indeed use the F bomb and multiple people heard and can confirm, that should be addressed publicly.
I'm going to disagree with your first part because the Band is a known entity. They ha e been at every home game since he's been here. I'm sure he was surprised they were STILL on the field but he knows it's their fault. Now if it was something new or unscheduled I might cut him some slack
But I know how stories can get exaggerated so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now
By R i
Registration Days Posts
If you read quotes, or hear about Gill's halftime speech, you can see that he was much more passionate and emotional than normal. When he runs out of tunnel after that display, only to see the band running late on their performance, wanting to keep any amount of spark he may have given at halftime, being upset is expected.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
He’s a terrible coach. Who cares what language he uses.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
The biggest proponent of keeping him, was how well represented the school. Its a major factor in my opinion.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:The biggest proponent of keeping him, was how well represented the school. Its a major factor in my opinion.
He has represented the school well. That is the easy thing to do, almost anyone should be able to do that. If IM does his job correctly, he will find a guy who can be a natural or easily learn to do that. It is a lead pipe cinch that TG is not ready for FBS prime time coaching and doesn't appear that he is capable of learning to do that either. No evidence to suggest otherwise. So, we do the correct thing and hire a good coach who can also represent the mission of the school well. Shouldn't be that hard, we have had amazing people apply for coaching jobs in the recent past, the administration just didn't hire the right guy or lady. Sometimes you make the wrong decision.
On a side note, I know it happens, but there is zero excuse for any coach at LU to drop the F bomb anywhere, for any reason.
Gill 4 life.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
2017 FCS Independent champs! To God be the glory!
By R i
Registration Days Posts
His daughter took to twitter and I will paraphrase ,

" In 25 years I have never heard him swear, so I have a hard time believing he cussed out the band"
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
The problem here isn't the use of the F word. A lot of our coaches swear...even some of our professors do. Personally, I don't have an issue with that. The problem is that Gill yelled the F word at the marching band.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:His daughter took to twitter and I will paraphrase ,

" In 25 years I have never heard him swear, so I have a hard time believing he cussed out the band"
She's not the most unbiased source but it appears very out of character for him, which is why he's getting the benefit of the doubt. I don't know the other coaches well enough but there could have been one close who said it and when people looked up they saw Gill.
The whole thing was bizarre from the car unveiling to the Band to the game. Crazy
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:The problem here isn't the use of the F word. A lot of our coaches swear...even some of our professors do. Personally, I don't have an issue with that. The problem is that Gill yelled the F word at the marching band.
Agreed. If he's going to go off go off on game Ops. Or the band director. Not some kid playing sousaphone
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]