Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
Chippy wrote:Meanwhile we picked up a DL commit.
Name???
"View Unread Posts"

Edit: Sorry if that seemed snippy. Bonus feature that took me forever to figure out. At the unread post screen, clicking the * just to the first unread post in the thread. Saves me a ton of time.
Last edited by Class of 20Something on October 17th, 2017, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Here's something else that annoys me. Why does Gill feel the need to jump to the defensive? I wouldn't be happy if I was the accused party either, but at the same time, I would do something more than simply defend myself and my staff. Why not get in touch with the marching band? Have a conversation with the color guard and ask them what they heard? If someone on color guard is indeed making it up, they won't accept that meeting. And at that point, it's on color guard. Story over.

Jumping to the defensive just launches into an endless he said/she said, and Gill still looks bad.
Why doesn't the Marching Band get in touch with him?
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
If the accusations are true, they don’t bare that burden. They’re students. He’s a public figure. They get $1,000 scholarships. He gets a $800k salary. Want me to continue?
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the last gameday devotional that the band has is usually done by a member of the football coaching staff, so there may already be a meeting scheduled.
Also, the band already posted Jerry Jr.'s response on the official facebook page. Hopefully, they will link TG's response as well.

I love seeing the team play and I love watching the band at halftime.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Both seem fine to talk about and kind of go together. It appears the wheels are coming off. This story just kind of adds fuel to that fire.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I really don't buy the story. We should be talking about how bad of a football coach the guy is, not this.
Did you just #fakenews ? :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Yes, I do think the "Gill F-Bomb" story is fake news.

Sad!
That’s awesome
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Dropping the F bomb in public as a coach, professor, etc. is never the right thing to do, in my humble opinion. Sadly however, I know it happens. My personal response is to give TG the benefit of the doubt in this situation.
Besides, even if true, he has done much more grievous things as a coach. St. Francis, KSU, Monmouth, ISU, G-W, etc. come to mind immediately.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Both seem fine to talk about and kind of go together. It appears the wheels are coming off. This story just kind of adds fuel to that fire.
I wonder if the team will go all Killing In The Name Of.... and just start airing it out if they deduce Gill is a lame duck.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:If the accusations are true, they don’t bare that burden. They’re students. He’s a public figure. They get $1,000 scholarships. He gets a $800k salary. Want me to continue?
They should have gone to Dr. Kerr their leader, and not social media with accusations that could end Gill's career if true.

If they are making up this story, or misheard , or got the wrong person, and Gill ends up losing his job this season, they could be held liable. "Kaitlyn Babbitt" on facebook, and "@kwheel_ "on twitter are the two that I know made claims of hearing Gill.
By Jonathan Carone
If we fired a coach for dropping an f-bomb in the heat of a game then we are just as bad. That is by no means a fireable offense, even at Liberty. Whatever coach said it should be reprimanded, possibly fined, and apologize and then we all should move on. For a school built on second chances and the idea of grace, there’s a lot of people willing to go overboard on a minor issue because a great man is an average football coach.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If we fired a coach for dropping an f-bomb in the heat of a game then we are just as bad. That is by no means a fireable offense, even at Liberty. Whatever coach said it should be reprimanded, possibly fined, and apologize and then we all should move on. For a school built on second chances and the idea of grace, there’s a lot of people willing to go overboard on a minor issue because a great man is an average football coach.
I was not calling for him to be fired, I do not think he said it for starters. I agree with you, an apology and possible suspension would suffice, mainly because it was directed at a student and band member. I wanted to point out that it was plausible he loses his job, and that incident could be listed as a reason.The color guard was being wreckless with how they handled the accusations.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am more concerned about our lack of offense and defense, than a rumor on social media. Our poor performance on the field is not a rumor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If we fired a coach for dropping an f-bomb in the heat of a game then we are just as bad. That is by no means a fireable offense, even at Liberty. Whatever coach said it should be reprimanded, possibly fined, and apologize and then we all should move on. For a school built on second chances and the idea of grace, there’s a lot of people willing to go overboard on a minor issue because a great man is an average football coach.

But to fire him they must first strip him of any support or defense. Which right now is him being a great face of the University. As time marches on it appears that it was either an assistant coach or some band members being drama queens
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Honest question: how popular is your podcast? What are the usual topics discussed?
Our popularity is similar to that of Lane Kiffin's dog in Knoxville.

We discuss a bit of everything, but mostly keep it to local college and pro teams.
By k9saber
VAGolf wrote:Jon Manson will join my podcast this evening to discuss the issue:

https://www.facebook.com/cjsweatshow/

Podcast starts at 7PM. Interview with Jon starts at 7:20 PM

If you don't Facebook, you can listen here: https://www.spreaker.com/show/cj-sweat-show
VAGolf, I look forward to tuning in...this has morphed into something much bigger than it should have. This question peaks my curiosity: What motive would LU color guard member(s) have to bring an allegation such as this against TG or a member of his staff? Was it a plan to attack him with no credibility behind their statement, to then announce it via social media?

Logically, I don't see this as being on someone's bucket list of goals to accomplish while at LU...
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Color guard emotions on game day are off the charts.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Maybe we should change the name of the band to "Spirit of the Snowflakes" Not to over-generalize, but most musicians I know are very selfish of their time to perform and be in the spotlight. Funny thing is, most non-musicians I know, could care less about watching a band at halftime. Personally...............................BORING.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Maybe we should change the name of the band to "Spirit of the Snowflakes" Not to over-generalize, but most musicians I know are very selfish of their time to perform and be in the spotlight. Funny thing is, most non-musicians I know, could care less about watching a band at halftime. Personally...............................BORING.
That's an interesting train of logic. Out of curiosity, do you classify color guard members as musicians or non-musicians?
Last edited by VAGolf on October 18th, 2017, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
k9saber wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Jon Manson will join my podcast this evening to discuss the issue:

https://www.facebook.com/cjsweatshow/

Podcast starts at 7PM. Interview with Jon starts at 7:20 PM

If you don't Facebook, you can listen here: https://www.spreaker.com/show/cj-sweat-show
VAGolf, I look forward to tuning in...this has morphed into something much bigger than it should have. This question peaks my curiosity: What motive would LU color guard member(s) have to bring an allegation such as this against TG or a member of his staff? Was it a plan to attack him with no credibility behind their statement, to then announce it via social media?

Logically, I don't see this as being on someone's bucket list of goals to accomplish while at LU...
Thanks! I hope you enjoy. Hoping we don't have any technical difficulties. This is our fist interview with our new streaming format.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Maybe we should change the name of the band to "Spirit of the Snowflakes" Not to over-generalize, but most musicians I know are very selfish of their time to perform and be in the spotlight. Funny thing is, most non-musicians I know, could care less about watching a band at halftime. Personally...............................BORING.
That's an interesting train of logic. Out of curiosity, do you classify color guard members as musicians or non-musicians?
Dude just hates the Band. Or Musicians. Either one. Or both. Haters gonna hate
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
VAGolf wrote:
Dude just hates the Band. Or Musicians. Either one. Or both. Haters gonna hate
Once again, my good friend PH, invents his own set of non-factual assumptions. Kinda getting to be a habit. There is a cure, but not betting that will ever take place. 8)
Boring Gill 4 life. :D
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]