Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
I will start by saying I’m an Alumni & Football Season ticket holder. Therefore, I’m fully invested in the school and its mission. I’ve been impressed and excited at the changes within the football program, specifically in the last 5–10 years. I was one who struggled through the Karcher era, found hope in the Rocco era and am currently just baffled in the Gill era.

I shouted from the hilltops when we gained FBS approval and DO believe Independent status was the only way in the near future (decades perhaps) we would ever move up. I’ve also been rather pleased and elated at the scheduling IM and his team has put together for the next few years.

So, why do I have such a concern deep in my gut? Because Big South play begins this week!!!

Every program must start somewhere and in 2018 we begin FBS Status. However, I’m filled with concern and trepidation at what might become very quickly, a struggling program to compete on the field. Notice I stated “On the Field.” We have no doubt amazing facilities and have fully invested in the Athletic Brick and Mortar of Liberty. However, the recent on-field results over the last few years give me concern moving forward. When I review the last 5 years of Gill’s tenure, I’m not impressed. Every team has troubling games, but those games under Gill seem to warrant additional review. Let me explain further…

We have all the money needed to compete with facilities, training, travel etc…etc…etc…with any high profile team. Yet, we struggled to have outright championship wins in a standard FCS conference. SO, what will change come next year? Since our “FBS” announcement, we will have only a minor level of recruit adjustments in one year. We can’t possibly gain such a recruitment class in that we have a dramatic shift from the upper classman that we see on the field now. There will always be competition of position and we will always see a change from time to time on a new starter or individual outplaying for a starting role, but not an entire squad. Can we all honestly say we feel comfortable with the exact squad on the field now, playing next year at an FBS level? I recognize program development takes years but Gill has been here for some time.

Based on Gill’s years as coach I am forced to turn my review towards staffing. I praise Coach Gill as a representative of Liberty. Although his on field results as a coach hasn’t given me confidence that we will compete toe to toe with higher caliber teams. In less than 3 years we are scheduled to play teams such as Syracuse, Auburn, UVA, NC State, VT, Wake Forest, Ole Miss, Army, Troy, Rutgers, BYU, UMass, Bowling Green. Therefore, does it sound right that a team playing the above schools in the next 3 years, should be losing to schools such as Coastal Carolina, Charleston Southern, Monmouth, Gardener Webb, Indiana State (yes, that was a loss in my book), St. Francis in the last 2 – 3 years. If you put aside some key positions on the field over the last 2 – 3 years, what has changed in our program year to year that would warrant an immediate expectation we would compete with the aforementioned schools.

Any further loses this year in Big South play will just solidify my above concerns. Am I looking into this too much?
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
That is a very well thought out post and I am sure most of us agree with how far this program has fallen under Coach Gill. Right now we don't have much in reserve for next year. A few red-shirt freshmen, verbals, and a transfer from Iowa State. That is it. Recruiting or verbal commits have been poor. We need a change with someone who is willing to get some FBS transfers for a quick fix and then build on that. We have great facilities, scheduling but we need the personnel to get us to a competitive level. Hopefully a decision will be made before the season is over so we can get a jump on recruiting.

We seem to have some talent at WR, QB, and Special teams. Defense is below par and the Offensive line needs a complete overhaul. I also don't like him giving scholarships to walk-ons who don't deserve it. Such a waste of resources. Someone stated that only 60 were recruited and the others went to walk-ons.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:That is a very well thought out post and I am sure most of us agree with how far this program has fallen under Coach Gill. Right now we don't have much in reserve for next year. A few red-shirt freshmen, verbals, and a transfer from Iowa State. That is it. Recruiting or verbal commits have been poor. We need a change with someone who is willing to get some FBS transfers for a quick fix and then build on that. We have great facilities, scheduling but we need the personnel to get us to a competitive level. Hopefully a decision will be made before the season is over so we can get a jump on recruiting.

We seem to have some talent at WR, QB, and Special teams. Defense is below par and the Offensive line needs a complete overhaul. I also don't like him giving scholarships to walk-ons who don't deserve it. Such a waste of resources. Someone stated that only 60 were recruited and the others went to walk-ons.
You almost lost me after your first sentence. But other than that I don’t think you are far off target in the middle. As for scholarships for walk ons , why not? If no one else is going to use them why not reward them?
By Class of 20Something
Stevev wrote:We need Offensive linemen first and foremost. JUCO's and FBS transfers.
All of them. Spend the last 10 scholarships on FBS and JUCO linemen and we could be a threat overnight.
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
I guess my initial post should not have referenced so much on field player personalities and more the way they are being used by the coaches to execute a game plan. The level of game management, staffing and game execution is causing me the concern moving forward.

This game management recently occurred during the 1:04 min left prior to the half of a recent game. We had two time outs and clearly needed points on the board but our offensive staff left it on the field. “Not the players,” but the coaching staff. This reminded me of Coach Layers final game with CC where he walked over, shook hands and began exiting the court before the game ended. What was happening on the field and sidelines to warrant wasting 1min and 2 time outs in any game besides blowout in our favor.

I agree with all the positional review talk taking place here, but what about simple team management and game execution. The last 3 games of play calling are driving me to scratch my head; i.e. see other post labeled, “Last 8 Quarters, GIF.

Therefore, considering the challenges that await us in less than 11 months, I will be purchasing a ticket on the “Time to move on from GILL Train,” if we lose to any team listed under a BIG SOUTH label, Oh wait, that’s the rest of our schedule.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Point of clarification: FBS transfers are no longer a quick fix for us. Just like the Iowa State DL, they have to spend a year on campus before they can help us at all. And the staff has been working the JUCOs harder than any time I can recall since the early Rocco era.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I would also like to point out recruiting the JUCO's as hard as this staff has been doing is one thing. Getting these juco's to commit is a whole different ball game. Most juco's expect to start right away and if there is any question on them starting they more than likely will pass. We have been fortunate with the ones we have gotten recently. In my opinion Gill has recruited well at LU. However, injuries, transferring out and leaving the team has really hurt our depth talent wise, especially on the offensive line the last 2-3 years. All that to say, keep watching this recruiting class because I believe this class is MUCH better than what some are perceiving. And there are still many more commitments to come.

Let's ask this questions though, will some of these recruits switch commitments if we just up and fire Gill after he leads us to an 8-3 or 9-2 record. Something to consider. Would hate to lose guys like Michael Lewis, Uriah West, Sean Queen and Emmanuel Cater due to Gill going 8-3 or 9-2.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I would also like to point out recruiting the JUCO's as hard as this staff has been doing is one thing. Getting these juco's to commit is a whole different ball game. Most juco's expect to start right away and if there is any question on them starting they more than likely will pass. We have been fortunate with the ones we have gotten recently. In my opinion Gill has recruited well at LU. However, injuries, transferring out and leaving the team has really hurt our depth talent wise, especially on the offensive line the last 2-3 years. All that to say, keep watching this recruiting class because I believe this class is MUCH better than what some are perceiving. And there are still many more commitments to come.

Let's ask this questions though, will some of these recruits switch commitments if we just up and fire Gill after he leads us to an 8-3 or 9-2 record. Something to consider. Would hate to lose guys like Michael Lewis, Uriah West, Sean Queen and Emmanuel Cater due to Gill going 8-3 or 9-2.
Understood but I would hate to flounder through several more years of mediocrity or worse because we are afraid of losing a few recruits. If we bring in the right coach, those recruits will stay and more high quality ones will follow.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The next month is key for gill. If he wins out and adds more recruits (word is theres 3 or 4 2 and 3 stars coming this weekend) then i would give one more year. If we drop another game or 2 and recruiting fizzles then its 100 percent time to move on.

Juco recruiting was tough last year when theres no postseason for 2 years and thats all most jucos have is 2 years. This year should be a different story and we better be replacing a lot of thos walk on schollies with true scholly players. I can agree on guys like sargaeant and diavante brown spence jones and spence jones that are proven contributors but there are several that do not deserve a scholarship.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been. We will not win any more than 2-4 games next year. Time to move on. Too many bad losses.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been. We will not win any more than 2-4 games next year. Time to move on. Too many bad losses.
Buffalo called and Nebraska is waiting on line 2
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
All I have to say is how about big ole Henry Chibueze all 330 pounds of him saying yes to Gill and LU! Guys, this guy is a game-changing o-line recruit for us! This my friends is a GREAT PICK ME UP!
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
By the way some services have him the #1 OG in VA and some have him rated in top 50 OG in America!!! Great job by coaching staff to get this. Also, of our 10 recruits only Marcellous Harris, Noah Frith and Mason Yost are without stars connected to their recruiting pages. 70 percent of this class so far are rated! Great start. And trust me more are to come.
By Class of 20Something
This get is helping me too. The 2019 schedule drop was disappointing with two FCS home games. I'm interested to see what 2020 looks like. At least we aren't playing 7 games away from The Bill though.

Any idea which recruits are in town? Lewis is coming back I believe. Could be a really great situation to have that kind of presence with the guys on the fence.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been. We will not win any more than 2-4 games next year. Time to move on. Too many bad losses.
:clapping HCTG won an FBS conference championship in 2008 and took Buffalo to a bowl game. Even the great DR has never done that. :nonono
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The players we have are all solid to me either by ratings or looking at their offers or tape. Frith is probably the biggest risk but hes 6”4 and its worth seeing if you can develop that to me.

I dont know who the visits are other than henry and lewis. I just heard that was atleast 1 more big time target if not 2 on campus and several other lesser regarded were lined up.
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the “Pick Me Up,” Ya’ll!

Based on the comments here, it’s clear through the evidence that the recruiting seems to have improved over past years. Therefore, it’s really up to Gill. He needs to display that he is the man by winning out the rest of the season and showing us HIS coaching staff is up to the challenge for next years opponent’s through game plan execution.
By Class of 20Something
LUinPA wrote:Thanks for the “Pick Me Up,” Ya’ll!

Based on the comments here, it’s clear through the evidence that the recruiting seems to have improved over past years. Therefore, it’s really up to Gill. He needs to display that he is the man by winning out the rest of the season and showing us HIS coaching staff is up to the challenge for next years opponent’s through game plan execution.
We would really have to massacre the rest of the schedule for me to have that kind of confidence. A "W" is not a "W" anymore. Every game needs to be a statement. Two possession leads every game. There is no excuse with 75 scholarships, our facilities, our fan base and our reach.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
A couple of things. None of these recruits have signed anything yet, things can get better or worse, as we know. And 99% of the time, recruits to LU football do not live up to the hype.
Gill won at Buffalo and LU with the previous coach's players. What we do know for sure is that with his players, LU has not even won the BSC outright........ embarrassing. For every big win, we have had a worse loss. It can be easily argued, that we are worse off, at every part of the game, except QB. WR's are probably a push, if we want to give him the benefit if every doubt.
Great guy, just not a FBS coach. Nebraska on line 2? Laughable. If we fired him today, does anyone think that he would have a chance/sniff at an FBS job? Please elaborate if you want to answer that one. I could use a good laugh this morning, it is dreary outside.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been.
These are your words. You are unable to back them up. Look at his record as a player at Nebraska. Look at Nebraska's record when he was on staff. Obviously what he did at Buffalo was roundly praised in the FB World.
Maybe you're just bitter
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
These are your words. You are unable to back them up. Look at his record as a player at Nebraska. Look at Nebraska's record when he was on staff. Obviously what he did at Buffalo was roundly praised in the FB World.
Maybe you're just bitter
Player? I am sure everyone here knows that we are talking about a coach. Sorry, I didn't make it simple enough for you to understand. Just to help out, I will stipulate HC. Again, he has not been successful as a HC anywhere, with his players and only marginally successful with the players he inherited. That doesn't need to be backed up, it is fact. Maybe you can tell us what part of our team is better than we he arrived, sans the QB position?
Finally, maybe you want to tell us who you think would come calling to hire him as a HC at any level, if we fire him after this year? FCS highly doubtful, but maybe. FBS................. zero chance.
And for the record, I don't think you are as dumb as you act on here in a lame attempt to prop up your man crush. But nice try. Maybe someone here is buying it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Maybe you're just bitter
Player? I am sure everyone here knows that we are talking about a coach. Sorry, I didn't make it simple enough for you to understand. Just to help out, I will stipulate HC. Again, he has not been successful as a HC anywhere, with his players and only marginally successful with the players he inherited. That doesn't need to be backed up, it is fact. Maybe you can tell us what part of our team is better than we he arrived, sans the QB position?
Finally, maybe you want to tell us who you think would come calling to hire him as a HC at any level, if we fire him after this year? FCS highly doubtful, but maybe. FBS................. zero chance.
And for the record, I don't think you are as dumb as you act on here in a lame attempt to prop up your man crush. But nice try. Maybe someone here is buying it.
I can only go by the words you chose to post. I’ve even highlighted them for you again so you can see. If you are going to try and trash someone and their reputation you might want to provide actual proof.
You can take his playing career off the table. I mean finishing 4th in the Heisman and being QB in the National Championship Game are such common and pedestrian feats.... I’m sure you were right there too in your playing days :roll:
But now you’ve moved the goalposts. Not just to ‘coaching’ but to ‘HC’. Since you won’t believe me maybe our Champion Quiz Bowl Coach can off er insight
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
:clapping HCTG won an FBS conference championship in 2008 and took Buffalo to a bowl game. Even the great DR has never done that. :nonono
TG has been successful in his vocation. Only those bitter and ignorant would think otherwise
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
LUinPA wrote:Thanks for the “Pick Me Up,” Ya’ll!

We would really have to massacre the rest of the schedule for me to have that kind of confidence. A "W" is not a "W" anymore. Every game needs to be a statement. Two possession leads every game. There is no excuse with 75 scholarships, our facilities, our fan base and our reach.
+1 However, I'm not sure, for now, that having 75 scholarships gives us any advantage. We really don't have an excess of talent in those 75 scholarships. Maybe in the future if we can get more 2-3-4 stars on board then that would mean something. From what I see on our recruiting here we are losing out on a lot of 3 star recruits and some recruits with no stars. Recruiting is probably a real challenge for whoever the coach is here at LU for a lot of reasons shared by others here.
Most quality FBS teams have at the very least a dynamic QB and WR, a dynamic RB, at least 1 DL and 1 OL. Next 2-3 years could be brutal unless we start getting FBS transfers and quality JUCOs that show up on a lot of FCS teams we play this year.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

UVA playing against a mid-pack MEAC team is thei[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]