Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
For your comparison to be correct the statement about JR would have to read 'JR has been an arrogant blowhard everywhere he went'. Because Shaws statement was 'Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been'. That is a far far different argument than 'Gill has not been a successful coach at LU'
Now he did clarify that he meant head coaching career and that's fine. I stated that he was successful at Buffalo and that it wasn't just my opinion but that of many people. People who know the Sport. So, yes he has been successful as a head FB Coach.
Having put that to rest the question has become why hasn't that happens to a greater extent at LU where there has been greater resources and commitment? That's a great conversation to have.
But saying he has not been a successful HC at LU is not the original statement nor the original intent of the statement as witnessed by his follow up comments.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:For your comparison to be correct the statement about JR would have to read 'JR has been an arrogant blowhard everywhere he went'. Because Shaws statement was 'Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been'. That is a far far different argument than 'Gill has not been a successful coach at LU'
Now he did clarify that he meant head coaching career and that's fine. I stated that he was successful at Buffalo and that it wasn't just my opinion but that of many people. People who know the Sport. So, yes he has been successful as a head FB Coach.
Having put that to rest the question has become why hasn't that happens to a greater extent at LU where there has been greater resources and commitment? That's a great conversation to have.
But saying he has not been a successful HC at LU is not the original statement nor the original intent of the statement as witnessed by his follow up comments.
Ok. I got his intent. I’d imagine most other posters did as well. You didn’t and that’s been beaten into the ground. Gill sucks as a head coach. He has mostly always sucked as a head coach. He may have been a good assistant coach. He was a good football player in the 1980’s. Neither of my two previous statements is relevant to this conversation. It’s time to move on.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:For your comparison to be correct the statement about JR would have to read 'JR has been an arrogant blowhard everywhere he went'. Because Shaws statement was 'Gill has not been successful anywhere he has ever been'. That is a far far different argument than 'Gill has not been a successful coach at LU'
Ok. I got his intent. I’d imagine most other posters did as well. You didn’t and that’s been beaten into the ground. Gill sucks as a head coach. He has mostly always sucked as a head coach. He may have been a good assistant coach. He was a good football player in the 1980’s. Neither of my two previous statements is relevant to this conversation. It’s time to move on.
None of which should distract from the fact that you are a tremendous human being and an asset to the human race. Or as much as a Red Sox fan can be :twisted:
#fakenews
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
None of which should distract from the fact that you are a tremendous human being and an asset to the human race. Or as much as a Red Sox fan can be :twisted:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Somehow my post quoting your post showed up before your post. #twilightzone
It’s done that a few times for some reason
At least the Cubs are still World Series Champions.....for a few more hours
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
:D
Gill 4 life.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
"Gill sucks as a head coach."

Counterpoint: He has had some measure of success, namely Buffalo winning MAC and LU getting to playoffs for first time ever, and then winning a game in said playoffs.

Counter-counterpoint: yeah, but it's dropped off from there, and that success was mostly with other players. He and staff have shown an inability to make timely adjustments and properly motivate the talent in the program to perform at peak level. He has tremendous resources and advantages. Why can't he get it done?

^^^THIS is what we need to figure out. Let's discuss this. Because as the title of the thread suggests, it is EXTREMELY relevant to understand in the process of selecting the next head coach, if/when such a decision becomes necessary.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:"Gill sucks as a head coach."

Counterpoint: He has had some measure of success, namely Buffalo winning MAC and LU getting to playoffs for first time ever, and then winning a game in said playoffs.

Counter-counterpoint: yeah, but it's dropped off from there, and that success was mostly with other players. He and staff have shown an inability to make timely adjustments and properly motivate the talent in the program to perform at peak level. He has tremendous resources and advantages. Why can't he get it done?

^^^THIS is what we need to figure out. Let's discuss this. Because as the title of the thread suggests, it is EXTREMELY relevant to understand in the process of selecting the next head coach, if/when such a decision becomes necessary.
:clapping :clapping :clapping It's almost like you understand coaching or something
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
After we beat JMU in playoffs, we went "down". We should have built off that season and taken program to new heights. Look what JMU has done since then. LU should have done the same.
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:Good historical point of reference.

WHY did it happen?
I'm looking for the game that the change occurred. We went into 2015 and started okay at 1-1 with the loss to WVU. Expected. Then we fail to score two touchdowns against Southern Illinois then follow it up with an FBS win at GaSt(Who went bowling that year). Then we follow it up with two road losses to GW and Monmouth. I noticed a trend and went and looks it up . In the Turner Gill era, the Flames are 25-8 at home. In a complete departure from the true Home Field Advantage that the Flames have, they drop to 13-18(1-1 In Playoffs) on the road. May be interesting to see how we perform on the road over the next couple weeks.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Since you've already done the research, is there any correlation to the quality of the opponents on the road?

Sometimes the quality of the opponent is enough to motivate young men to prepare and compete at top level. How does a coach motivate the same group to prepare and perform at their peak when the perceived quality of the opponent is equal to or below them? Age-old coaching question.
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:Since you've already done the research, is there any correlation to the quality of the opponents on the road?

Sometimes the quality of the opponent is enough to motivate young men to prepare and compete at top level. How does a coach motivate the same group to prepare and perform at their peak when the perceived quality of the opponent is equal to or below them? Age-old coaching question.
It was really a mixed bag of quality on the road. Obviously all our FBS games to this point have been on the road. All those wins and losses are in there. Blocked FG at CCU is in there. It just looks like we struggle hard on the road.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:How does a coach motivate the same group to prepare and perform at their peak when the perceived quality of the opponent is equal to or below them? Age-old coaching question.
#RatPosion :football

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]