Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Over Fall Break, thanks to Manson, I went to the UVa vs. Duke football game (go Hoos!), and I was really impressed with their food service. I didn't have their nachos (sorry, Purple), so I can't comment on those, but they had an $8 bottemless souvenir bicentennial cup with unlimited free refills. And they had Philly cheese steaks, buffalo chicken cheese steaks, Papa John's pizza, burgers, hot dogs, and fries. They also had a small area that sold ONLY fresh popcorn hot pretzels, and drinks. And they had vendors walking through the stands selling fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Plus, they had multiple souvenir stands with "discounted" prices on game day--$24 ball caps on sale for $19.

All that is to say, I hope LU's food service expands and improves when we are an FBS football program.

Though smaller, I honestly think LU's expanded Williams Stadium will look much better than UVa's aging Scott Stadium. But I was impressed that UVa's jumbroton was used almost exclusively for replays, sometimes showing the same good play 3 or 4 times from different angles, and almost NO video shots of the UVa fans. Plus, their scoreoboard also showed out of town scores, which I really loved.
Last edited by Cider Jim on October 7th, 2017, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Over Fall Break, thanks to Manson, I went to the UVa vs. Duke football game (go Hoos!), and I was really impressed with their food service. I didn't have their nachos (sorry, Purple), so I can't comment on those, but they had an $8 bottemless souvenir bicentennial cup with unlimited free refills. And they had Philly cheese steaks, buffalo chicken cheese steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and fries. They also had a small area that sold ONLY fresh popcorn hot pretzels, and drinks. And they had vendors walking through the stands selling fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Plus, they had multiple souvenir stands with "discounted" prices on game day--$24 ball caps on sale for $19.

All that is to say, I hope LU's food service expands and improves when we are an FBS football program.

Though smaller, I honestly think LU's expanded Williams Stadium will look much better than UVa's aging Scott Stadium. But I was impressed that UVa's jumbroton was used almost exclusively for replays, sometimes showing the same good play 3 or 4 times from different angles, and almost NO video shots of the UVa fans. Plus, their scoreoboard also showed out of town scores, which I really loved.
Yeah the Merchandise and Concessions at LU are nowhere near #fbsready. But I think some of that may be contractual. Knowing the labyrinthine contracts at LU it wouldn’t surprise me. But I also suspect IM and his Right Hand Man will have input when those contracts are renegotiated
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Those of you that go to football games at P5 schools, do you have any favorite game foods?

I know VA Tech sells turkey legs at their games, but that's kind of like eating your mascot, which is kind of gross.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Those of you that go to football games at P5 schools, do you have any favorite game foods?

I know VA Tech sells turkey legs at their games, but that's kind of like eating your mascot, which is kind of gross.
So are the turkey legs. Yuck.
Arizona St sells a variety of French fries. Garlic Parmesan being their biggest seller but also...yuck
I like that Tech and UVA let people come in for fundraisers and run a Place. That’s where the good food usually is.
I can’t remember what game I was at but they had grilled cheese panini’s that were the bomb You could add bacon or tomato or something else that escapes me.
By rtb72
Although I steered clear for a while....I have discovered Taco Food Trucks. They have become pretty popular where I live and a lot of the youth love them. The food is authentic and it is amazing how much different the food is when not "Americanized". They just have to keep their sanitation grade up...lol. Also, BBQ is served here at several University concessions....but this is NC so....

I think either would add variety and be well received.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, for many years, my Morgantown cousin worked the concessions at WVU as a fundraiser for her Methodist church in town. if there was ever a way for the Lynchburg communithy to rally behind LU, that sounds like an excellent way to bridge the gap: let local church groups work some of concessions for part of the profit.

Also, does WVU have a signature food at their football games? (I'm tempted, but I refuse to make any 'roadkill' jokes).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Purple, for many years, my Morgantown cousin worked the concessions at WVU as a fundraiser for her Methodist church in town. if there was ever a way for the Lynchburg communithy to rally behind LU, that sounds like an excellent way to bridge the gap: let local church groups work some of concessions for part of the profit.

Also, does WVU have a signature food at their football games? (I'm tempted, but I refuse to make any 'roadkill' jokes).
Pepperoni rolls. With or without roadkill seasoning
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Sounds as if LU could learn something from UVA video board.
They don't do a lot of crowd shots because there's not much of a crowd
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Those of you that go to football games at P5 schools, do you have any favorite game foods?

Arizona St sells a variety of French fries. Garlic Parmesan being their biggest seller but also...yuck
I like that Tech and UVA let people come in for fundraisers and run a Place. That’s where the good food usually is.
I can’t remember what game I was at but they had grilled cheese panini’s that were the bomb You could add bacon or tomato or something else that escapes me.

The Bill needs to Add Fifth & Federal Station!! Will make the signature food whatever the opposing teams mascot is every game!! You want Beach Chicken Wings with garlic Buffalo sauce boom there on the menu! We play Buffalo ?!?! Ok Bison Burger sliders on an open "Flame" with Ghost pepper cheese that week! New Mexico St coming to town? No problem... Can't eat Pistol Pete, but we can steal his horse and call our stew Pistol Pete's Horse Chowder! Haha that last one may need some work but you get the point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jlread wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

The Bill needs to Add Fifth & Federal Station!! Will make the signature food whatever the opposing teams mascot is every game!! You want Beach Chicken Wings with garlic Buffalo sauce boom there on the menu! We play Buffalo ?!?! Ok Bison Burger sliders on an open "Flame" with Ghost pepper cheese that week! New Mexico St coming to town? No problem... Can't eat Pistol Pete, but we can steal his horse and call our stew Pistol Pete's Horse Chowder! Haha that last one may need some work but you get the point.
I have no problem with that whatsoever!! Just not sure your 'drink cart' would go over that well :flamingdevil
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I refuse to eat a Bison burger when we play Marshall. Go Herd!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
jlread wrote:What if we cut back the number of bourbons? Maybe only
Offered 20-30? Haha jk
Only Cinnamon Whiskey in stadium. Get that FIRE!!!
Mixed with:
Root Beer
Apple Cider
Dr Pepper
Or
Vernors
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
jlread wrote:What if we cut back the number of bourbons? Maybe only
Offered 20-30? Haha jk
Only Cinnamon Whiskey in stadium. Get that FIRE!!!
Mixed with:
Root Beer
Apple Cider
Dr Pepper
Or
Vernors
On that, How long until CVCC's lot becomes the drinking tailgate lot?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
With all due respect to Purple and Cider Jim, the turkey legs at VT are awesome. They can be a bit salty at times, but generally are great.
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
Only Cinnamon Whiskey in stadium. Get that FIRE!!![/quote]
Mixed with:
Root Beer
Apple Cider
Dr Pepper
Or
Vernors[/quote]

On that, How long until CVCC's lot becomes the drinking tailgate lot?[/quote]

The field across the street from hokey rink is always the area for adult pre-game libations when we go. Usually a good crowd of folks that keep beverage consumption in moderation. The Liberty guys on golf carts even drop extra trash bags off sometimes to encourage cleanup.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
PEPPERONI ROLLS!!!!

Love me some anytime I get back to WV. Julia's are the best brand, but there's TONS to choose from.
By Class of 20Something
jlread wrote:

The field across the street from hokey rink is always the area for adult pre-game libations when we go. Usually a good crowd of folks that keep beverage consumption in moderation. The Liberty guys on golf carts even drop extra trash bags off sometimes to encourage cleanup.
How have I not known this?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]