Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Yup. This confirms it. Worst loss of the post Karcher (modern LU) era. Truly humiliating.
Which Karcher Era loss was worse?
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Presby beatSt. Francis. Let's not hear any more talk about how good they were - we just were bad, and we'd better improve. Time to stop letting our schedule be an excuse. I'm tempted to start hoping for a bad season, because I think that's the only way we get some real change in the football program. If we win out, how do you get rid of a coach that just went 9-2?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
First, Gill in NOT killing this program. Name a coach in the history of LU football that has beat more FBS teams? None. Now, has the team underachieved with Gill at the helm? Yes, especially the last 3 years. Nevertheless there are only 9 other teams in all of FCS football that have had 11 straight winning seasons. Let's make that 12 with this year. Of those 11, 5 are Gills and this year will make 6. If that is killing a program, then most of college football will be without coaches next year.

Yes, Presby beating St. Francis does not look good for us. But it is college football. Today alone proves that. A WALK-ON QB went into Norman and Iowa State who was 2-2 just beat #3 Oklahoma. Crazy wins happen. Teams get lucky and my personal opinion is that the worst loss of the post Karcher era belongs to rocco when we lost to presby during that 10-2 season.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Obviously it has been pretty well proven that Gill is not the guy going forward. Losing to St. Francis was inexcusable, having to block a FG to beat ISU is, was embarrassing, (they get beat 52-0 today). I fully expect us to lose at least one more game. But even if we go undefeated the rest of the way, a change is needed going forward.
We have progressed as a team, very little to none under Gill. Our DL and OL are no better, our DB's are arguably worse and our tackling is horrible. Our players (mostly) and our coaches are clearly not FBS ready.
By Class of 20Something
Giving out scholarships just to meet a quota is absolutely an abuse of resources. If anything that makes me more angry. We should have added an additional 5 schollies each year until we were at the FBS max. Evenly distribute them over recruiting classes.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Obviously it has been pretty well proven that Gill is not the guy going forward. Losing to St. Francis was inexcusable, having to block a FG to beat ISU is, was embarrassing, (they get beat 52-0 today). I fully expect us to lose at least one more game. But even if we go undefeated the rest of the way, a change is needed going forward.
We have progressed as a team, very little to none under Gill. Our DL and OL are no better, our DB's are arguably worse and our tackling is horrible. Our players (mostly) and our coaches are clearly not FBS ready.
He's got a lot of Playoff wins and FBS wins for someone who hasn't moved the program forward
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Obviously it has been pretty well proven that Gill is not the guy going forward. Losing to St. Francis was inexcusable, having to block a FG to beat ISU is, was embarrassing, (they get beat 52-0 today). I fully expect us to lose at least one more game. But even if we go undefeated the rest of the way, a change is needed going forward.
He's got a lot of Playoff wins and FBS wins for someone who hasn't moved the program forward
A lot of playoff wins? I remember one, (mostly with Rocco's players), maybe I missed some? He actually gave one away at Villanova that we had won. Yes we have had a few FBS wins. But they are outweighed by losses to Monmouth, G-W, St. Francis and a few other games we couldn't lose but did.
Maybe you can share your thoughts more definitively, do you really believe we are better program than when Rocco left? Really?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
You need to be able to QUICKLY analyze what your opponent is doing and make radical adjustments if necessary. At least make good halftime adjustments. I'm not sure that's happening. It's really hard to say anything negative about someone with Coach Gill's charter. You can't get enough men like him involved. So I'm on the fence.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
A lot of playoff wins? I remember one, (mostly with Rocco's players), maybe I missed some? He actually gave one away at Villanova that we had won. Yes we have had a few FBS wins. But they are outweighed by losses to Monmouth, G-W, St. Francis and a few other games we couldn't lose but did.
Maybe you can share your thoughts more definitively, do you really believe we are better program than when Rocco left? Really?
He has every playoff win in LU history. He’s had the most FBS wins of ant LU FB coach And just a few weeks ago I believe he was welcomed back from Waco to the FOC with fans laying palm branches in front of the team bus. Although I’m still looking into that rumor.
I I think this Program better reflects LU than it did under Rocco. It also has more signature wins then it did under Rocco. Although, that win against St Paul and those other D2 schools were amazing
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Know your self. We all have weaknesses. Hire staff to fill yours.
^^^^^^^^^

And don’t be intimidated, threatened or insecure when they do. THAT is the hard part
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:We've had more headline grabbing wins, no doubt. However, those successes have hidden what has actually been a decline in the overall condition of the program.

He has to go. The sooner the better.
+1, no need to delay the inevitable and waste 2-3 more years. We are looking at a 2-3 win season next year which will do nothing to build excitement around the program going FBS in 2019. Maybe new leadership will. So far, our recruiting results have been underwhelming as well. However, to be fair, you never know about this area until they get on the field. Most of the time, they are not as good as advertised (at all schools).
By Class of 20Something
Can we stop pretending the rules were the same for Big South Champs and the playoffs?

Turner Gill got us in the playoffs once with an auto bid. We're talking about 4 seasons in the big south that we failed to perform well enough to secure an at large bid.

How about this, without 2017 conference play, Turner Gill has lost more BSC games in 5 years than Rocco in 6 years.

The bottom line is, with Liberty's resources failing to outright win the BSC every year is a failure. We have regressed.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:We've had more headline grabbing wins, no doubt. However, those successes have hidden what has actually been a decline in the overall condition of the program.

He has to go. The sooner the better.
+1, no need to delay the inevitable and waste 2-3 more years. We are looking at a 2-3 win season next year which will do nothing to build excitement around the program going FBS in 2019. Maybe new leadership will. So far, our recruiting results have been underwhelming as well. However, to be fair, you never know about this area until they get on the field. Most of the time, they are not as good as advertised (at all schools).
+2 . Amazing how many blessings he got with FG blocks.

amazing to think he lost 5 games and made no playoffs when he had players like Hagen, Davis, Woodrum, Fogg, Aikens, and Peterson all around. All who either are on the practice squad or had a stint in the NFL. All Rocco recruits btw. I know Woodrum and Hagen were on the 2014 team but 2013 should've been golden.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Rocco is the one who built the program to the point where Gill was able to capitalize on it. I was ok with LU and Rocco going their separate ways but Turner Gill is not the man to help us succeed at the next level.

Some people disagree but they have every right to be wrong

:lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Rocco is the one who built the program to the point where Gill was able to capitalize on it. I was ok with LU and Rocco going their separate ways but Turner Gill is not the man to help us succeed at the next level.

Some people disagree but they have every right to be wrong

:lol:
I agree Rocco that took LU as far as he could. Having said that there was no guarantee the next coach could have maintained or capitalized on that
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not even saying Gill was a bad hire. In the heat of the moment I think those thoughts but he has been good for the program. I just think we are in a place where we should move on. I don't see Gill getting us to where we want to be.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Turner Gill is a decent FCS coach, and when that was what we needed/wanted, the relationship was a good one. That isn't where we are anymore; we need a good FBS coach, and that's not him. That was made clear to me in the last two games, when we abandoned the gameplan that won us the Baylor game, and refused to make adjustments when it was obviously not working the way it was drawn up.

I think that my biggest concern is the lack of concern - or the seeming lack of concern. I saw no emotion out of Gill on the sidelines. I heard the same press conference that I've heard after most of LU's losses since the beginning of the Gill Era. Unless we come out of the locker room fired up and put up 21 points in the first half against KSU, I'm not seeing the emotion that we should be seeing at this point. We need some emotion and fire on the sidelines.
By Class of 20Something
phoenix wrote:Turner Gill is a decent FCS coach, and when that was what we needed/wanted, the relationship was a good one. That isn't where we are anymore; we need a good FBS coach, and that's not him. That was made clear to me in the last two games, when we abandoned the gameplan that won us the Baylor game, and refused to make adjustments when it was obviously not working the way it was drawn up.

I think that my biggest concern is the lack of concern - or the seeming lack of concern. I saw no emotion out of Gill on the sidelines. I heard the same press conference that I've heard after most of LU's losses since the beginning of the Gill Era. Unless we come out of the locker room fired up and put up 21 points in the first half against KSU, I'm not seeing the emotion that we should be seeing at this point. We need some emotion and fire on the sidelines.
+1
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]