Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By gerb
Very happy we got rattled the way we did and still came away with the W. Jax has two weeks to plan for us and we are going to need to be as focused as we were going into Baylor to prevail.
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
Defense was straight up garbage…. especially Chris Turner. The Sycamore coaches knew that Tuner is a weak tackler, plays the ball more than he plays his man and will melt on all run plays that are directed in his direction. Jimmy Faulks may take his position in the next few weeks. Gill got lucky this time with Indiana, but Jacksonville will be a different story.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
At the beginning of the season, the toughest games on our schedule were Baylor, Indiana St, and Jacksonville St. We're inexplicably 2-0 in those games. We'll lose next week but after that we should theoretically roll through the rest of the schedule. KSU will probably play us well. If you would have told me we'd only lose once, I'd take that every time. (Assuming we actually roll through remaining schedule)
By cruzan_flame13
Liberty22 wrote:At the beginning of the season, the toughest games on our schedule were Baylor, Indiana St, and Jacksonville St. We're inexplicably 2-0 in those games. We'll lose next week but after that we should theoretically roll through the rest of the schedule. KSU will probably play us well. If you would have told me we'd only lose once, I'd take that every time. (Assuming we actually roll through remaining schedule)
Thank you for your assumption. I hope we win to see your response. We were suppose to lose by Baylor, remember? Anyways, I'm really not sure with Gill as the head coach for the future. I know he's a great man and also it could be unstable to just bring in a new coach(who has great experience in the FBS; not Briles though), but it may be best to refresh on the transition, the expansion of the Bill and a head coach.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
flamehunter wrote: Kids are fresh out of high school. They have certainly not reached your level of maturity yet so give them credit for staying for the end and being excited about a win that didn't look like it would happen 5 seconds before.
I know this. I felt even more strongly about this topic when I was at LU. Now I can just sit back and call them morons.

Let me be a grumpy old man! Geez. Haha
You mean like ballcoach? I don't know man, I don't think I want to let you do that! You seem like such a nice young man.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
So, Jax St. is good and no will argue against that. But they are not the same team as last year and not as explosive too.

We are not the same team as last year with much more explosiveness.

The trenches will dictate the game. Looking forward to next week.
By Ewglenn
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:There is something to say about mindset of the defense and the heart of this team tonight. Especially at the end. To block that kick in a moment like that is special. I know the timeout was a terrible decision, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Make your decision on Gill at the end of the season. We are 3-0 guys and the first two games his coaching was on point.
No his terrible decision making was on display in the Baylor game too. He is lucky things have gone in LU's favor with the flag on the two point conversion in that game and one of his players bailing him out tonight. You can't do this stuff at the FBS level and expect to win.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Turner- very athletic, but plays like a prima donna. I thought the wheels really started falling off when we had a third and one on our 45. In stress off running it, we throw a long pass incomplete, then 4th and one, and we go for it. ISU took over on downs. Momentum seemed to shift a bit. If I we're coach, I'd try to put them as deep as possible each possession and not take a chance at giving them the ball at midfield.
In regards to our porous defense, there were some really wacky formations that our defense was not able to prepare well for. I heard talk of this before the game, so I wasn't surprised. The soft coverage became very predictable.
Interesting that their kickoff guy is John Lunsford's brother. Watching him gave me a bit of deja vu; they even have the same motions.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Defense was bad. This game should not have been close.
Disagree...they are better than we give them credit for and we are not as good as we'd like to think
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I'm as frustrated as everyone else about the defense and the play calling, but seriously, who was predicting a blowout and why? The MVFC is a legit conference, and every team is very good.
By cruzan_flame13
jbock13 wrote:I'm as frustrated as everyone else about the defense and the play calling, but seriously, who was predicting a blowout and why? The MVFC is a legit conference, and every team is very good.
I agree and I'm thankful that we took the win. LU needs to definitely look at the videos this week and also JSU plays. Gill's abilities (or for some who would say inabilities) as a coach is showing and it's truly mediocre.
By rtb72
Did anyone here the post game pressed by Gill? Put TO on defensive coach and said it was the right call to make...so he did. I think that disappointed me the most. He is the head coach. The buck stops with him....no need to even mention the request by Defensive coach. Play calling in second half reminded me of of GW game two years ago. 3rd and fifteen is not going to be picked up with short yardage schemes and rushing. Very frustrating game to watch. ISU was good, but I really think we helped make them look that way on several series. In the end...this game spoke volumes on several levels.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I am now ready to let this go, be thankful for a win and move on. The only thing I ask is that we admit our mistakes, own them, learn from them, and quit repeating them. Love him or hate him that is one of the things Saban does so well here in Tuscaloosa. Even after wins he finds all the deficiencies, calls them out, and focuses on eliminating them. The W is not good enough but we need to keep looking forward not back. Moving on to the next game...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:Did anyone here the post game pressed by Gill? Put TO on defensive coach and said it was the right call to make...so he did.
That was in today's paper, too. Doesn't a HC have to respect his DC's request?
By Class of 20Something
I'm really fine with the students on the field. With 10 minutes left in the 4th the entire Baptist side was on its feet(after some hag two rows up snarled at me for standing after big plays.) ISU or KSU will be our biggest home games this year. The students and especially the freshman need to be conditioned to CARE about football. Those students were invested in the game. I've never heard the Bill that loud on 3rd down in the 4th before. I refuse to gripe about a passionate fanbase. Who here will complain of the students rush if we beat ODU next year? Syracuse in 2019? Outside of Coastal, I've never seen our fans that pumped about an unranked FCS opponent.

As for the TO, I doubt any 3-0 coach has a warmer seat. Boneheaded. The referees letting 24 seconds pass AFTER the play to process the time out was absurd. I truly believe they influenced the pace of the game. They essentially gifted ISU timeouts with their vacation length reviews.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While we are questioning coaching decisions, the one that made me :dontgetit more than any of them happened on our failed 4th down conversion.

I have no problem with going for it.

I have no problem with running it up the middle.

I have a BIG problem with giving the ball to your 175 lb scatback (Matthews) on a play like that while Mosely and Hickson sit on the bench. I assume that would have been Daley's decision, and I really don't get it. It was his only carry of the game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was curious about that as well, but think of it this way...if he gets the edge and converts the down or breaks one for a score, it turns out to be a genius decision and likely changes the end result. I mean, we convert, keep the ball, grind off more clock and probably a don't have a game coming down to a field goal at the gun
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]