Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
rtb72 wrote:Did anyone here the post game pressed by Gill? Put TO on defensive coach and said it was the right call to make...so he did.
That was in today's paper, too. Doesn't a HC have to respect his DC's request?
No. As I have often been reminded. Assistant Coaches make suggestions head Coaches make Decisions. As the announcers stated only HCTG is allowed to call a TO on the sidelines. I think that's just his rule not a FB rule.
As for the officials they OBVIOUSLY were not on the same page. That took way too long. I also fault the Broadcast team. They had more then enough time to show the sequence of events from the end of 3rd down to the end of the game and never did. There HAD to be a camera angle of an Official waving TO or Gill calling one Or they could have run their own clock countdown on the play. Instead we got mindless rambling with no replays Certainly not #fbsready
Buckshot was great but showed a chink in his armor last night. He is looking for the spectacular play That sack at the end of the game almost cost the game. He can't take that sack in that situation. He throws it away Probert makes the FG and the TO situation doesn't occur
By willflop
The sack did force ISU to burn their last TO vs throwing it away. Somewhat of a silver lining. Just a bad time for Probert to not get a full foot on it.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I'm concerned about the defense - secondary especially. I haven't thought they looked really good all season - coverage is too soft, and it seems that they're cchasing the INT rather than trying to stop the receiver.

I'm not worried about Calvert's sack - yeah, he shouldn't have taken the sack, but it was really only the second big mistake I've seen him make - first one was the mistake that resulted in him running the ball in for a touchdown, so I'm not sure I'd call that a real mistake.

I'm a little concerned about our playcalling -- everybody knows we're going to throw that swing pass, and Indiana State did a decent job late in the game stopping it. I could understand it if we were trying to keep our Big South opponents from learning our playbook, but we're not playing for a championship anyway, so why not show everything we've got and dare them to stop us?

I'm not worried even a little about our offense. We've shown we can put up points; we just need the defense to make sure the other team can't do the same. If more of these games are this close, I'm going to have to up my BP medicine's dosage!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:The sack did force ISU to burn their last TO vs throwing it away. Somewhat of a silver lining. Just a bad time for Probert to not get a full foot on it.
It was a heck of a long kick. 7 more yards would make a difference between 1 and 4 point lead. Not gonna beat up the kid for it. Just pointing out it's a mistake and hoping it's not a sign of things to come. I would wager it won't be but some thing to think about
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Breaking down that unusual 4th down play that wasn't & the timeout that was called

http://www.aseaofred.com/breaking-down- ... n-to-call/
Good break down. What's unacceptable as well is having no video coverage of it. Kept waiting and waiting for the TV crew to cut to the clip of HCTG calling The TO but nope. Obviously someone somewhere had video of it because otherwise what were the officials doing?
The whole thing was a Cluster
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I'm really fine with the students on the field. With 10 minutes left in the 4th the entire Baptist side was on its feet(after some hag two rows up snarled at me for standing after big plays.) ISU or KSU will be our biggest home games this year. The students and especially the freshman need to be conditioned to CARE about football. Those students were invested in the game. I've never heard the Bill that loud on 3rd down in the 4th before. I refuse to gripe about a passionate fanbase. Who here will complain of the students rush if we beat ODU next year? Syracuse in 2019? Outside of Coastal, I've never seen our fans that pumped about an unranked FCS opponent.

As for the TO, I doubt any 3-0 coach has a warmer seat. Boneheaded. The referees letting 24 seconds pass AFTER the play to process the time out was absurd. I truly believe they influenced the pace of the game. They essentially gifted ISU timeouts with their vacation length reviews.
I agree here. These kids aren't tainted with the shiny brilliance followed by stupidity. Let them get out there and celebrate with the team. It build the confidence of the program. That also means that kids are sitting through the entire half time show with our underwhelming marching band. For some reason this doesn't feel like a typical Liberty year. Glad they got the W and I have every bit of confidence that the staff will have them ready for Jax St. Don't be shocked that we're 4-0 by this time next week.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The crowd noise played with ISU's offence throughout the 4th quarter. (Go 12th man) And the noise caused problems for the officials the last 2 mins. While the replay guy was on the field near our bench huddled with two officials, the crew with the ball at the line of scrimmage almost allowed the teams to run another play. Official were not communicating very well?
Last edited by TH Spangler on September 17th, 2017, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote: I have every bit of confidence that the staff will have them ready for Jax St. Don't be shocked that we're 4-0 by this time next week.
I hope you're right, I want some of that kool aid.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Does anyone think the officials would have granted the TO after the play if ISU had made the first down? I say absolutely not.
That's a great point. I bet you're right.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Does anyone think the officials would have granted the TO after the play if ISU had made the first down? I say absolutely not.
That's a great point. I bet you're right.
I think they would have. And Indiana St would be complaining about it to no end. But the amount of time it took they'd have been happy with the extra TO
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
The timeout and in game decisions dont bother me near as much as all the personal foul penalties. That is a worrisome issue. How undisciplined is this program internally?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If he called TO it should have been granted BEFORE ball was snapped.
Of course, but that doesn't mean the official had time to stop the play before the ball was snapped.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The officials completely screwed that entire sequence up but Gill should of had some balls and told his coordinator no because it was absolutely the wrong choice to call a time out in that situation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If he called TO it should have been granted BEFORE ball was snapped.
No kidding? Really? :dontgetit I always thought they could just wait until the play was over tondouble check to see if they wanted to REALLY take a time out.
But you're saying that when a Time Out is called there should be no play run Huh. Wonder if that's in the rule book somewhere
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The entire game sucked with the exception of AGG. The coaching was horrible, bad play calling, bad TO, bad 3rd and 1 decision and 4th an 1 execution , the officials were unorganized, made many, many errors spotting the ball, defense didn't exist, Buckshot throws a huge interception, I could go on and on.
Taking the sack could be viewed a couple of ways. If he throws it away, the clock stops. We still were in FG position with the sack. IF, we were up by 4 in the last minute, there is a good chance we lose the game. ISU would have had to score a TD and probably would have, they moved the ball on us all night and outscored us in the second half. Hindsight is 20-20, but it probably worked out better for us.
One of the worst things about the post game comments, is the TG actually said we played a "good game" We were obviously unprepared, both physically and mentally, uninspired, poor play-calling.. It is good to win those type of games, but we are going to have to play our best game yet to compete with JSU.
The Baylor win, seems like it was a lifetime ago. Next week is not a time to be over-confident............. again. My guess would be, that we have less than a 10% chance of winning next weekend.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:The entire game sucked with the exception of AGG. The coaching was horrible, bad play calling, bad TO, bad 3rd and 1 decision and 4th an 1 execution , the officials were unorganized, made many, many errors spotting the ball, defense didn't exist, Buckshot throws a huge interception, I could go on and on.
Taking the sack could be viewed a couple of ways. If he throws it away, the clock stops. We still were in FG position with the sack. IF, we were up by 4 in the last minute, there is a good chance we lose the game. ISU would have had to score a TD and probably would have, they moved the ball on us all night and outscored us in the second half. Hindsight is 20-20, but it probably worked out better for us.
One of the worst things about the post game comments, is the TG actually said we played a "good game" We were obviously unprepared, both physically and mentally, uninspired, poor play-calling.. It is good to win those type of games, but we are going to have to play our best game yet to compete with JSU.
The Baylor win, seems like it was a lifetime ago. Next week is not a time to be over-confident............. again. My guess would be, that we have less than a 10% chance of winning next weekend.
Wow and someone got all in my poop after the Baylor win. Doubt the same poster will do the same here
By Class of 20Something
Now that I have had a chance to decompress from the game.

I want to see fewer penalties.

McCaw has been quiet about his thoughts on Gill as a coach. The silence is damning. If an AD is behind a coach, he's open about it. I imagine he has a list in mind. I think HCTG's career has peaked. He could do well in many top 25 FCS schools. We've seen his coaching at Buffalo and Kansas.

I'm glad we can get humbled and get the win. Buckshot looked human. Our defense cannot stop the big play. Execution was lacking all the way around.

The game plan seemed subpar. It makes me wonder, even if insulated from the players, if the coaching staff was working a week ahead as well.

On the LFSN side of experience, 0 replays of the timeout. What on Earth were they doing. They had plenty of time.

Game day experience, the video board is inconsistent with replays. Did anyone else think the player entrance was rushed? I also think the visitors should be on the field for our entrance. And the anthem should be after the entrances. Announcer has game rhythm this year. Much better than last season.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Very poor execution of timeout sequence by the officials.

I can't find fault in the HC calling timeout when his DC called for it. That's common. It seems to me more fans are PO'ed about it because it appeared LU would've gotten the stop. But you simply can't know that for sure. The only thing that could be done is Gill reviews with DC why he asked for TO, and they decide if it was truly warranted.

Regardless of all that, I think the execution of the TO and the clock was royally screwed up by the officials there. Really bad.

As far as the team, I thought LU was down a little bit. But it was also playing a far better opponent than the week prior, and maybe both weeks prior. I think the 2-0 start had expectations around here unreasonably high. ISU is GOOD. And their coaches adjusted to the pass when it worked a little. Ok.

LU is 3-0! Baylor ain't what they could be, and Morehead is AWFUL. ISU was a real test. We all know JSU will be a much tougher test. I'm glad the team maybe got humbled a tad and got the message without having to take the L. LU is 3-0!! I can't believe how many Negative Nancy's there are around here for an undefeated team. We could be Baylor. Haha!

LU is 3-0!!!!
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I thought Buckshot did excellent. I hated the long throw on 3rd & short. And then giving a guy his first carry on 4th and 1. I'd like to see Matthews get a few more carries on 1st or 2nd down, and maybe swing it out of backfield to him. I love the band being in the endzone, so much louder. There was one FG where Indiana State was kicking towards the band, and the band & cheerleaders cheered "Block that kick". (This wasnt at the end, but earlier in the game). Instead of cheering BLOCK THAT KICK. The band should hold up two signs. On one side of the signs, it should say Hooked and Left. If they flipped them over it could say, Bad and Snap. They could alternate how they use them...and if the cheerleaders helped, we could do those chants like we do the LU chant on both sides of the stadium. Imagine you're trying to snap it, and the entire stadium is cheering BAD SNAP...BAD SNAP...BAD SNAP. Or of your the kicker, and the people are cheering Hooked Left, Hooked Left. Like some schools do for foul shots at basketball games. Just a thought.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]