Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I thought this was worst game ever for video board. Seemed out of touch as to what was happening on the field of play.

And the PA Operations were bad. They had to play "noise" on PA system all the time, except when ball was being snapped and play was in progress. On one play, the noise on PA was so loud, no one could hear what Ref was saying on his headset to the stadium.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:You don't storm the field for Indiana state. What a bunch of morons.
same
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Our wide receiver group played well. Gandy Golden made some outrageous catches all in a sequence. Farrow and King look explosive on every play.

O-Line gave buckshot time and run blocked well.

Stubbs looks very sure of himself on Punt returns, and he reminds me of Steve Smith with his YAC yards being so violent and tough. Overall the kick coverage and return game were in LU favor all night. This has been the biggest area of improvement over Gill's tenure.

Baptist side was very engaged in the game. The band sounded so good in the end zone. We have done away with some of the super lame game day stuff, like the red jacket guy telling us how to chant , and I could be wrong but I did not notice any "flame throwers" at the game for the first time in a couple seasons. I thought the PA did a fantastic job and really has improved. Students storming the field is pretty lame, but if it keeps them there for the fourth quarter, it may be worth it. Props to the students for coming out and really being a force at home games.

Now for some of the negatives I noticed. Chris Turner can cover, and jumps routes. He cannot tackle, and he tries way to hard to make a play on the ball on every play. The secondary (Tillman, Peters, Turner all got burnt in situations where they were looking back for the ball. I am not a DB coach, but I feel like their main job is to make it difficult and prevent the WR from catching the ball, not to go up and make a SCTOP10 play on every ball.

Play calling in a few key situations was pretty awful. Defensive and Offensive coordinators cant get every play call right, but the 3rd and 1 with game in the balance, you cannot throw a go route, and then run it with RB that hasn't had a carry yet. Not good.

16,000 fans. I get it , that we are being audited now, and these numbers have always been this low in real life, but it just hurts a little to see that number so low.

Fan reactions , It really shows some of our fan base immaturity and how new some of you are to this, that you can only find the negatives with LU football unless we beat a P5. Here is a reminder, ISU is a good team in a good conference, they beat us badly in 2014. We are now winning games (3-0) , and the fan base is calling for a national championship or bust. If you take a step back and enjoy the progression and very sharp incline this program is on, it would do some of you well. I am not sure if Gill is the man going forward, but I am thrilled to be 3-0.

Overall it was another fun Saturday night in Williams Stadium. #GOFLAMES
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I thought this was worst game ever for video board. Seemed out of touch as to what was happening on the field of play.

And the PA Operations were bad. They had to play "noise" on PA system all the time, except when ball was being snapped and play was in progress. On one play, the noise on PA was so loud, no one could hear what Ref was saying on his headset to the stadium.
I also heard that there were kids on your yard during the game
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Very poor execution of timeout sequence by the officials.

I can't find fault in the HC calling timeout when his DC called for it. That's common. It seems to me more fans are PO'ed about it because it appeared LU would've gotten the stop. But you simply can't know that for sure. The only thing that could be done is Gill reviews with DC why he asked for TO, and they decide if it was truly warranted.

Regardless of all that, I think the execution of the TO and the clock was royally screwed up by the officials there. Really bad.

As far as the team, I thought LU was down a little bit. But it was also playing a far better opponent than the week prior, and maybe both weeks prior. I think the 2-0 start had expectations around here unreasonably high. ISU is GOOD. And their coaches adjusted to the pass when it worked a little. Ok.

LU is 3-0! Baylor ain't what they could be, and Morehead is AWFUL. ISU was a real test. We all know JSU will be a much tougher test. I'm glad the team maybe got humbled a tad and got the message without having to take the L. LU is 3-0!! I can't believe how many Negative Nancy's there are around here for an undefeated team. We could be Baylor. Haha!

LU is 3-0!!!!
THIS! We won - be happy. Yes, there were some questionable decisions made during the game, but WE WON!!! Some of us remember being shut out by UConn, W&M and Youngstown State (at home) in successive games, and not scoring till after halftime at homecoming - against VMI (where we still lost).
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
A few belated thoughts:
Impressed with Buckshot's command of the game. He obviously throws the ball well, and usually in the right place. One mistake was holding on too long trying to make something happen and getting dropped for the costly yardage loss on third down that led to the crossbar-plunk FG attempt. Aside from that, Buckshot to Gandy-Golden is especially fun to watch.

I thought a key part of the game came in the second quarter with a chance to pull away. Should have focused on picking up the needed yard on the third-and-one play from near midfield rather than taking the shot downfield, given the situation. That led to a risky and failed fourth-down try and opened the door for Indiana State.

Would have never guessed in the third quarter that the defense would wind up basically winning the game. The fourth-quarter stops were huge.

That was one of the craziest finishes I've seen. It was fun to be there, great weather night and the crowd was really into the game in the section I was in. Definitely got money's worth and the payoff was in the last minute despite the emotional roller coaster ride. Can't blame the kids for rushing the field, getting caught up in the moment of such an incredible and exciting finish regardless of the opponent.

This season is shaping up to be much more interesting than would have thought, given the prospects of a "meaningless" season as result of the transition to FBS. This team now has something to play for heading into the Jax State game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read in N&A this morning, that the BSC Commissioner admitted that replay official "blew the call" as it pertained to amount of time remaining, after TO was granted. Sounded like someone could not read a game clock.
I have met Replay Officials . Most have a personality of a rock in the woods on Candler's Mountain.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
with ballcoach we have learned that boring personalities and sexual orientation negatively impacts the ability to be good at pretty much any occupation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:What does personality have to do with ability as a replay official?
I get that. But I want to know why he's trying to have conversations with rocks :dontgetit
And how does he know the personality differences between rocks in the woods and say a rock on the side of the road?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
I get that. But I want to know why he's trying to have conversations with rocks :dontgetit
I know, right? Last time I checked, he didn't want Roc (Thomas) to beat us.
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I know, right? Last time I checked, he didn't want Roc (Thomas) to beat us.
Which thread am I in?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]