Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
thepostman wrote:What is an old ASOR timer?

This is flamefans don't let Manson's or Duks's marketing change that! :D

:oldhag
LOL, that just illustrates how he's a newcomer. :lol:
Maybe in your own little small world YR :twisted: (as opposed to your little big world)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:So if I don’t support everything someone else does, am I thinking inside the box, or outside the box? I’m so confused.
That's because you can't get reception IN the box. Everyone knows that but you apparently smh
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:So....

Would we rather push the American into the P6 they want, or try to be a travel partner for WVU in the XII, assuming no realignment?
How exactly would adding LU make The American a P6? I want WVU OUT of the Big XII so...

IMO, the next round of realignment is going to be seismic so who knows. BUT I think being an Independent after that is going to be nigh impossible
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:So if I don’t support everything someone else does, am I thinking inside the box, or outside the box? I’m so confused.
"Our society currently suffers from two incredible lies: that to love someone I must agree with everything they say or do, and that to disagree with someone is to fear or hate them." -Rick Warren
By tyndal23
I have posted a few times under different topics re: the vision of LU and what the Leaderships goals are and how we get there. Are we satisfied being a regional FBS team that plays 3-4 P5 teams a year, 1 FCS and the rest G5 schools or are we trying to actually position LU for a future P5 invite or a path to Playoff whether that is 4 team or 8 team down the line. It is pretty interesting to watch the comments re: UCF and their schedule limitations that even get them consideration for 4 team playoff. One analyst said they have to play P5 teams and not even the best P5 teams as Non Con for him to take serious. In actuality, they had 2 P5 schools scheduled - Pitt and UNC ( postponed due to hurricane ). Again, this has nothing to do with the present, BUT has everything to do with how we schedule 7 years out. I have proposed a minimum of 6 P5 games ( BYU counts as 1 ) per year and either being road warriors in Sept. and be the only school that can boast playing every P5 conference each year as 1 off road games OR paying enough $ to get 1 for 1 P5 games. I think we already see the lack of fan interest for FCS and G5 teams visiting Lynchburg. Would having this tough of a schedule increase recruiting and coaching interest? Would the downside of having losing seasons with this type of schedule be worse than being bowl eligible more often but never being taken serious as anything other than a G5 outlier. I am interested in hearing all arguments...
By LUDad
Two regional g5 teams that I would love to have home & home games with are ECU & App State. Great games and I think all three schools would travel well to each others games.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I had rahter we play Marshall than Appy State. To me Appy State isn't attractive.
When we get "somewhat good", we need to play some ranked teams.
I believe we are undefeated vs Big 12 teams. I'd like to see another Big 12 team in future.
We need to beat some P5 teams.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I had rahter we play Marshall than Appy State. To me Appy State isn't attractive.
I believe we are undefeated vs Big 12 teams. I'd like to see another Big 12 team in future.
Appt state is a ranked team ball coach
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Appy State is over rated. They are still reaping benefits from beating Michigan a few years ago. They may be ranked , but I rather we play a P5 team. There are some who probably thinks they are still FCS.

But if we can somehow beat Auburn...………………………………………………….
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I had rather we play Marshall than Appy State. To me Appy State isn't attractive.
You tell 'em, ballcoach!!! :clapping Study :nod
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I had rahter we play Marshall than Appy State. To me Appy State isn't attractive.
When you schedule 7 years out, you have no idea who will be ranked.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is not an FBS team in America right now that has certainty about what the future holds beyond 6-7 years out.. The lawsuit in California that is in trial right now about conferences being able to set their own limits on player compensation instead of a flat rate from the NCAA could blow up the entire conference model. Seriously. The next major wave of realignment is expected to occurring the next 3-4 years in advance of the ACC & Big XII GORs expiring. It could happen sooner if it becomes obvious that certain schools would be leaving and the others are willing to let them walk away. Clemson & FSU leaving the ACC is the most common example stated along with Texas & Oklahoma headed somewhere. How that all shakes out could open up doors for us that do not currently exist. Economics could make strange bedfellows.

Being Indy and scheduling the way we have since moving up is right where we need to be ... with a few more Texan opponents if possible strictly to satisfy this poster.
By tyndal23
You don’t need to try predict if a P5 will be ranked 7 years out, if you have 6-7 no the schedule LU would be considered a P5 like BYU is for most conferences. There are at least 4 programs in each P5 that would travel to LU for the $ and 10 or all teams in every P5 conference that would take a 1 off home game based on $ ( I.e. we charge minimum vs them having to pay a big $ game to FCS or other G5 ). That scheduling philosophy is easily doable, it is just whether we are willing to do it. IF LU wants to simply make a bowl game every year we should limit P5 games to 2 a year to give us a best chance for 6 wins. I much prefer the tougher schedule with the hopes it brings in much higher recruits and better everything...
By LUOrange
I definitely agree with scheduling up as much as possible in order to improve in any and every possible way. I think we should be doing this in football and basketball. That said, we do need to play as many regional G-5's as possible as well. Schools like ECU, Appy, Marshall, UNCC & ODU need to be on our schedule regularly. but first and foremost, we need win consistently and limit ourselves to only 1 FCS game a year.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:There is not an FBS team in America right now that has certainty about what the future holds beyond 6-7 years out.. The lawsuit in California that is in trial right now about conferences being able to set their own limits on player compensation instead of a flat rate from the NCAA could blow up the entire conference model. Seriously. The next major wave of realignment is expected to occurring the next 3-4 years in advance of the ACC & Big XII GORs expiring. It could happen sooner if it becomes obvious that certain schools would be leaving and the others are willing to let them walk away. Clemson & FSU leaving the ACC is the most common example stated along with Texas & Oklahoma headed somewhere. How that all shakes out could open up doors for us that do not currently exist. Economics could make strange bedfellows.

Being Indy and scheduling the way we have since moving up is right where we need to be ... with a few more Texan opponents if possible strictly to satisfy this poster.
This. There is so much uncertainty in the next 5 years as it pertains to the college football landscape that its next to impossible to predict what we think the P5 will look like 7 years down the road. I also think scheduling P5's (unless you want to play every game on the road) is very difficult. I can tell you the only reason VT and UVA are willing to do 2 for 1's or home and homes with us is that we are so close. and after what happened to VT this year at ODU i would very much doubt that they ever schedule an in state opponent away game again for a very long time. you have to remember BYU was in the WAC and MWC up until 8 years ago. They were an established FBS program well before we were even thought of as a school. We are a brand new FBS program with zero history of conference affiliation in the FBS and comparing us to BYU and trying to get to that P5 level in 8 years of FBS independence is an extremely tall order. Not to mention BYU has been battling whether or not to stay independent in the past few years. for now just enjoy the fact that we have P5's coming to lynchburg already over the next few years and the fact that we aren't playing in Clinton, SC or Boiling Springs, NC any more.
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:Fun fact, Appy has an amendment to never play us in football.

https://sga.appstate.edu/index.php?modu ... ith&id=155

2014 was a last minute thing for them to find a game and we were available.
That would make them hypocrites especially in moral psychology. In that case, I wouldn’t waste my time with them either. In order to be tough, you have to play tough. I don’t think we need to be a P5 school to play like one.
By LUDad
Home & home with Charlotte would be a great winable series and provide exposure for recruits in this area. The fact that I live in this area has no bearing on this suggestion. :D
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Since, I have moved out west to the great state of Montana. I would love to see a 2 for 1 with Boise State or even a home and home with Wyoming. Both of those games are within driving distance for me :D .

Independent status allows for much creativity in scheduling as we have witnessed with Ian and his crew. Hats off to them as well due to their success in scheduling so many different programs which allows our brand to get into many different locations. As for the future and where I predict us to be: I say stay Independent until the right conference opens up its doors to us. However, staying independent wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]