Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

TallyW wrote:I've always found that argument to be somewhat strange for schools in our position. I wouldn't expect Big South recruits to "bring" much to the Big East. I'd expect that if/when we're on the bigger stage, we'd start to get Big East type recruits. What I'd expect a conference to want to see is our commitment to excellence, resources, possibly media (LFSN), etc.

Also, media consumption is changing. I wonder if the metrics of a media market are even going to matter as much in the near future. At this point, new content is being created for platforms, not broadcast. That, to me, would signal a value of brand over immediate population base. If alum/fans can watch the broadcast from Seattle to Miami and beyond (via the internet)... who cares how many people live near the campus...
Creighton brought basketball success and recognition to the Big East. Ditto Butler ( plus Indianapolis).
It's going to be awhile before people figure out how the change in delivering content effects Sport programming but with the tumble of ESPN and pay outs for contracts that at least is becoming clear. So where does a school make up the revenue? Since most schools in the Big East, at least Legacy schools, settle near their school having local or regional rivalries would be beneficial to put butts in seats.
Again from a Basketball standpoint I don't see where LU fits
Sly Fox wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The Big XII grant of rights (GOR) ends in 2025. It is expected that the next grand wave of realignment will likely occur in 2022-2023 as school position for life after the GOR is dead. Honestly the 2025 season is our target for joining any conference. It is expected that both the P5 & G5 conferences are going to be significantly overhauled. What that looks like is anyone's guess right now. There is wild speculation about what Texas & Oklahoma choose to do. Their decisions impact nearly everyone else.

All we can do now is improve our resume. It was well below par 2-3 years ago during the last minor realignment. We need football and mens hoops to continue to improve. Those two will determine our fate since we are generally solid everywhere else.
Are you feeling alright? That is in alignment with the Principles of :flamingdevil
It is not me that is finally seeing the light. My position hasn't changed.
You keep telling yourself that :D But you were a cheerleader for 'what happens on the field doesn't matter'. This seems to be a change in tune. And a welcome one.
thepostman wrote:Great job deflecting.

I was of the belief it was a,bad idea and that scheduling would be close to impossible. So far I have been proven very wrong. Which I have no problem admitting.
I'm with you on the scheduling. I'm uber impressed with what they have pieced together. The big question is can they win? Not all these teams will be at Baylors level. Will LU improve accordingly?
It's also a change in philosophy to go 'all in' like this. Didn't see that coming based on past performance.
I'm still waiting to pass judgment on the move but willing to be swayed
Purple Haize wrote:I have no idea what you are trying to say in your first sentence. Based on your last sentence you didn't read MY first sentence. Look at it from a basketball perspective. LU brings exactly 0 to the table. It doesn't enhance the Conference at all.
I did and that's why I was asking for those teams that were denied getting into the Big East(I messed up pasting the link and didn't edit correctly). My last sentence I stated that LU does have to step it up in basketball. Again, basketball is a high priority in the Big East, but not the entire focus for the conference. For viewers, fans and alumni; yes. But for the Presidents, AD's, commissioner, donors and others representatives; no. This is business which is a necessity to keep the conference and the schools involved going. If you don't get that then that's on you to be honest. I will add however that politics is definitely involved(as I stated before) and LU is not compared to the Big East schools.
I think that pretty much confirms our intention to stay independent for a long time. Nothing like giving folks the middle finger! Ha! We are going to be America's most hated team. It worked for Miami for a long time. Now we have to continue to back it up!
TallyW wrote:Well, we can now safely (and permanently) eliminate two conferences from our future plans ;^)
The SunBelt I get. But why tick off CUSA? And ODU was supposedly LU's biggest advocate for CUSA. So now you make them look like chumps.
Anyone have a copy of 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' lying around?
Sly Fox wrote:The CUSA presidents never voted on us. That was a clear shot at the Sun Belt.
Yet he said CUSA as well. :dontgetit
Take the shot at the Sun Belt, but it is disingenuous. He was willing to pay a Princely Sum to be a part of that League.
But good grief. Leave CUSA out of it :roll:
It seems like we're aiming to carry ourselves like a P5-level independent. If we're playing the best schools and we can recruit that level of a student athlete, I can't really blame the administration for aiming above these two conferences in the realm of perception.
TallyW wrote:It seems like we're aiming to carry ourselves like a P5-level independent. If we're playing the best schools and we can recruit that level of a student athlete, I can't really blame the administration for aiming above these two conferences in the realm of perception.
I'm not sure you are wrong. The question then becomes where do the rest of the sports go?
TallyW wrote:A10, Big East?

For full membership, there's no reason not to hold out for AAC or better.
Is the AAC better than CUSA?
I'm still seeing the Big East as an odd fit.
Non Football A-10 wouldn't be bad.
Sly Fox wrote:Yes, the AAC is a HUGE step up from CUSA. The top teams from AAC will likely slide into vacated spots in Big XII in the next realignment. CUSA, not so much.
So that's my question. If the Top AAC teams leave, what's left? Is it better than CUSA? Unless you are going out on a limb and calling LU to the Big XII? :shock:
I think the next round of realignment might kill Conference Affiliation as we now know it. (Some smart SMGT Prof predicted that by 2020-2025.).
Purple Haize wrote:
TallyW wrote:A10, Big East?

For full membership, there's no reason not to hold out for AAC or better.
Is the AAC better than CUSA?
I'm still seeing the Big East as an odd fit.
Non Football A-10 wouldn't be bad.
A-10 would fit because there are schools that are close. Only reason. Big East would be better because of it's not able basketball power (as noted before) but also they have more options with D1 sports than A-10. AAC is great but I prefer staying with a more east coast conference (although some schools in the Big East are not located on the east coast).
When I said Liberty being in the AAC as long as Jr doesn't do anything stupid well that didn't last long.

What's funny is I heard Liberty had a lot of friends in the CUSA compared to the Sun Belt. It was a couple of schools that blocked Liberty. It wasn't really politics that kept Liberty out but the online factor. Jr just killed any shot of a potential invite and probably lost the few friends that Liberty did have. Such a dumb thing to say by Jr. He just needs to delete his twitter.
ballah09 wrote:When I said Liberty being in the AAC as long as Jr doesn't do anything stupid well that didn't last long.

What's funny is I heard Liberty had a lot of friends in the CUSA compared to the Sun Belt. It was a couple of schools that blocked Liberty. It wasn't really politics that kept Liberty out but the online factor. Jr just killed any shot of a potential invite and probably lost the few friends that Liberty did have. Such a dumb thing to say by Jr. He just needs to delete his twitter.
He's trying to emulate his new mentor
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]