Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I will say this had I known the choices were spending 24 million to get into cusa or going independent I would of chosen independent status if those were the only choices. Things are going well initially as an independent so I don't get why Jerry feels the need to take shots publically. It makes zero sense to me as a grown man but high school Jesse would of loved it. So there is that...
R i wrote:Liberty and all that comes with it, is a better fit as a lone wolf, trail blazing, complete message controlling, and non conforming independent. We have always had the "us vs. the world" mentality. As a fan it would be miserable being the outcast of a conference, because of our conservative beliefs.

If being a good fit were the only criteria, Independent would be the obvious choice.
Meh. Being an Independent isn't really 'US Against The World' It's "US Against......no one really cares"
thepostman wrote:I will say this had I known the choices were spending 24 million to get into cusa or going independent I would of chosen independent status if those were the only choices. Things are going well initially as an independent so I don't get why Jerry feels the need to take shots publically. It makes zero sense to me as a grown man but high school Jesse would of loved it. So there is that...
A couple of things to consider: First, the independent thing looks pretty cool right now because we beat Baylor and should have a very good record this season. Next year is going to be very different. I don't see us having a winning record for a few years after this one, based on the status quo of the staff and some normal, growing pains. The only way that could change is for Buckshot to have AMAZING junior and senior years and we actually put some emphasis on and play defense.
Finally, I don't see anything wrong with Jr calling things the way they are. Not a fan of Christians getting run over and taken advantage of because of their faith and not speaking up. Bottom line, our exclusion from a conference so far is based solely on intolerance and bias by others, of our mission. The fact that we were granted FBS status the week after the NCAA president visited the campus pretty much proves that. We were FBS ready in every way, facilities, funding, etc. On the field performance will follow soon enough. It will take a few years. We were/are light years ahead of CCU as far as being ready for the next step.
Last edited by flameshaw on September 23rd, 2017, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flameshaw wrote:
thepostman wrote:I will say this had I known the choices were spending 24 million to get into cusa or going independent I would of chosen independent status if those were the only choices. Things are going well initially as an independent so I don't get why Jerry feels the need to take shots publically. It makes zero sense to me as a grown man but high school Jesse would of loved it. So there is that...
A couple of things to consider: First, the independent thing looks pretty cool right now because we beat Baylor and should have a very good record this season. Next year is going to be very different. I don't see us having a winning record for a few years after this one, based on the status quo of the staff and some normal, growing pains. The only way that could change is for Buckshot to have AMAZING junior and senior years and we actually put some emphasis on and play defense.
Finally, I don't see anything wrong with Jr calling things the way they are. Not a fan of Christians getting run over and taken advantage of because of their faith and not speaking up. Bottom line, our exclusion from a conference so far is based solely on intolerance and bias by others, of our mission. The fact that we were granted FBS status the week after the NCAA president visited the campus pretty much proves that. We were FBS ready in every way, facilities, funding, etc. On the field performance will follow soon enough. It will take a few years. We were light years ahead of CCU as far as being ready for the next step.
Many people call that Sour Grapes. Your conclusion about the NCAA President granting LU FBS status because LU was obviously ready isn't exactly true. He didn't want to deal with a massive and nasty lawsuit.
I do agree that LU is light years ahead of CCU and I hope they enjoy their time in obscurity
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Finally, I don't see anything wrong with Jr calling things the way they are. Not a fan of Christians getting run over and taken advantage of because of their faith and not speaking up. Bottom line, our exclusion from a conference so far is based solely on intolerance and bias by others, of our mission. The fact that we were granted FBS status the week after the NCAA president visited the campus pretty much proves that. We were FBS ready in every way, facilities, funding, etc. On the field performance will follow soon enough. It will take a few years. We were light years ahead of CCU as far as being ready for the next step.
Many people call that Sour Grapes. Your conclusion about the NCAA President granting LU FBS status because LU was obviously ready isn't exactly true. He didn't want to deal with a massive and nasty lawsuit.
I do agree that LU is light years ahead of CCU and I hope they enjoy their time in obscurity
Being that we never threatened a lawsuit and likely never would have filed one, it is a yuuuuuuge leap to assume that would be our direction. The NCAA is involved in lawsuits all the time. Doubtful they would be afraid of taking on little old LU in court. Don't think that anyone could successfully argue that we were not ready for FBS from a facilities and financial perspective, we just needed the ok/invitation to move forward. It will take a few years, but I suspect a conference invite will be forthcoming and that we will accept.
:koolaid Also a good day for those Rose colored glasses. LU most certainly was on track to sue to get on the FBS level. To think otherwise is baffling nieve. There is no 'lil ole LU' they will sue at the drop of a dime. (Ask Lipscomb.) Plus, they've already sued the NCAA once, they'd certainly do it again. Plus, the Chancellor did graduate Law School.
I'm not arguing if LU was FBS ready or not, because compared to a bunch of FBS schools they are certainly capable
Purple Haize wrote::koolaid Also a good day for those Rose colored glasses. LU most certainly was on track to sue to get on the FBS level. To think otherwise is baffling nieve. There is no 'lil ole LU' they will sue at the drop of a dime. (Ask Lipscomb.) Plus, they've already sued the NCAA once, they'd certainly do it again. Plus, the Chancellor did graduate Law School.
I'm not arguing if LU was FBS ready or not, because compared to a bunch of FBS schools they are certainly capable

I don't think it is naive at all just because LU sued once. If you have any links, documents or words from JR and lawyers to prove this notion, then your claim is for now a assumption/bias. Calling someone naive still doesn't make the claim factual, but actually a flaw without actual proof. I'll Aldo add so what if JR went to law school. I don't think JR, McCaw and the others would've traveled all the way to TN to exhibit why they are ready when they could've just filed a lawsuit. Any who, the point is that JR doesn't have to file a lawsuit for occurances and it look like JR was looking for a good opportunity to try again. McCaw and the idea of a waiver came at a very interesting time; McCaw especially. JR isn't the emotional or snowflake type. People only claim that when they don't like what he said or tweeted. That's basically pot calling the kettle black.
Purple Haize wrote::koolaid Also a good day for those Rose colored glasses. LU most certainly was on track to sue to get on the FBS level. To think otherwise is baffling nieve. There is no 'lil ole LU' they will sue at the drop of a dime. (Ask Lipscomb.) Plus, they've already sued the NCAA once, they'd certainly do it again. Plus, the Chancellor did graduate Law School.
Any tangible evidence? Didn't think so. It is an opinion, nothing more, nothing less, you may be correct, you may not. We will never know. What we do know for a fact, is that soon after the NCAA president visited, saw our facilities and our presentation, we were granted FBS status. Coincidence? Maybe. The Chancellor did graduate from law school. And your point is that makes him more likely to sue? I would say that is terribly naive but............................ 8).
flameshaw wrote:
Any tangible evidence? Didn't think so. It is an opinion, nothing more, nothing less, you may be correct, you may not. We will never know. What we do know for a fact, is that soon after the NCAA president visited, saw our facilities and our presentation, we were granted FBS status. Coincidence? Maybe. The Chancellor did graduate from law school. And your point is that makes him more likely to sue? I would say that is terribly naive but............................ 8).
Yes, I have secret computer hacking codes that can get me access to all sorts of emails.
I think you are asking the wrong question. The question should be WHY invite the President of the NCAA to visit? Why display how FBS ready LU was? To ask for a waiver? Sure. But what do you think the response was when the NCAA President said 'Well, we don't really allow FCS teams to move up without a Conference invite and you don't have one."? "Golly Mr President, you're right. Shucks. I guess we will just have to wait for an invite." Please. It was to say, "Look, this is what we have. We are more than capable of supporting an FBS program. If you don't give us a waiver, we will have to find other recourse to become FBS".
I'm sure the President said 'Fine. Here's your waiver. Sink or swim". That's pretty much how the Real World works
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Yes, I have secret computer hacking codes that can get me access to all sorts of emails.
I think you are asking the wrong question. The question should be WHY invite the President of the NCAA to visit? Why display how FBS ready LU was? To ask for a waiver? Sure. But what do you think the response was when the NCAA President said 'Well, we don't really allow FCS teams to move up without a Conference invite and you don't have one."? "Golly Mr President, you're right. Shucks. I guess we will just have to wait for an invite." Please. It was to say, "Look, this is what we have. We are more than capable of supporting an FBS program. If you don't give us a waiver, we will have to find other recourse to become FBS".
I'm sure the President said 'Fine. Here's your waiver. Sink or swim". That's pretty much how the Real World works
LOL, I will just have to take your word for it. I wasn't in the room, sounds like you were. smh. :BS
Am I in the minority that made a foregone conclusion PH's lawsuit scenario is how it went down?

Didn't LU sue in the 80's to let football players kneel in endzone?

The first thing I thought when I heard about the NCAA's decision was, "Smart. Avoid the lawsuit." I just assumed everybody saw it that way.
JK37 wrote:Am I in the minority that made a foregone conclusion PH's lawsuit scenario is how it went down?

The first thing I thought when I heard about the NCAA's decision was, "Smart. Avoid the lawsuit." I just assumed everybody saw it that way.
Apparently it's not Politically Correct on this Board to agree with me :flamingdevil
JK37 wrote:Am I in the minority that made a foregone conclusion PH's lawsuit scenario is how it went down?

Oh yeah. I have no doubt we already had the paperwork ready to file within a week of a waiver denial. I never even considered that we wouldn't sue. It's too easy.
thepostman wrote:Wait. People actually are debating if LU would've sued had the ncaa not granted their waiver? Of course they would have.
There was a quote a few years ago I remember reading where that was asked and I feel like the answer was, "All our options are on the table." But I could be misremembering it. But c'mon, the school sued a bunch of homeowners in Forest and the descendants of the family who's cemetery was on campus. You really think they wouldn't sue the NCAA to get what it wants? LOL

Obviously they had to go through every legal avenue of courting and trying to join a conference before any lawsuit would have legs. Toward the end of that journey, it seems they were granted a waiver. Yay. No lawsuit! :)
Class of 20Something wrote:

Oh yeah. I have no doubt we already had the paperwork ready to file within a week of a waiver denial. I never even considered that we wouldn't sue. It's too easy.
Well if you weren't in the room or have any paperwork to back that up you're wrong ! :flamingdevil
Yacht Rock wrote:
thepostman wrote:Wait. People actually are debating if LU would've sued had the ncaa not granted their waiver? Of course they would have.
There was a quote a few years ago I remember reading where that was asked and I feel like the answer was, "All our options are on the table." But I could be misremembering it. But c'mon, the school sued a bunch of homeowners in Forest and the descendants of the family who's cemetery was on campus. You really think they wouldn't sue the NCAA to get what it wants? LOL

Obviously they had to go through every legal avenue of courting and trying to join a conference before any lawsuit would have legs. Toward the end of that journey, it seems they were granted a waiver. Yay. No lawsuit! :)
Well you are both Haters anyways. You just can't make some people happy :flamingdevil
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:

Well if you weren't in the room or have any paperwork to back that up you're wrong ! :flamingdevil
Well my girlfriend in Canada has it. You wouldn't know her.
Yacht Rock wrote:

The difference between the homeowners in Forest and the family cemetery relatives is that those groups wouldn't necessarily have the resources to fight, successfully, in court. The NCAA does have resources. That said, I don't doubt LU would've tried to sue had the waiver been denied. Fortunately, we got the waiver.
rogers3 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote: Well my girlfriend in Canada has it. You wouldn't know her.
The things I learn from lurking!
Yeah. He likes girls! :shock: :D

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Some statistics

Our RPI is quite a bit higher than those rankings.[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]