Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I drink some to a lot of the Liberty kool-aid, but I don't believe they were completely wrong on the lake dam or the on-campus cemetery deals. I like to think that I call them as i see them. That said, if you don't think Liberty was ready to sue the NCAA if they didn't grant them the waiver then your kool aid was spiked. I'm sure McCaw helped smooth things over with the NCAA some for us, so maybe we didn't have to threaten as loudly and as often as may have been necessary. But a suit was obviously coming with a denial.
LU is more FBS ready than many current FBS schools. Our facilities are better than many FBS schools, including some P5 schools. We just need to move up a notch in recruiting and scheduling.
Basketball seems to be the forgotten sport in this search for a big conference. Basketball is probably farther behind than any other sport. Not counting the minor sports.
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote: Well my girlfriend in Canada has it. You wouldn't know her.
The things I learn from lurking!
Yeah. He likes girls! :shock: :D
I think that I recall that he is married... didn't expect an non-native paramour. Maybe I've got it all wrong, though.
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
The things I learn from lurking!
Yeah. He likes girls! :shock: :D
I think that I recall that he is married... didn't expect an non-native paramour. Maybe I've got it all wrong, though.
You are correct rog. Wife and baby are doing well.

Just poking fun at the middle school fake summer girlfriend.
ATrain wrote:C-USA has: Charlotte, FIU, FAU, N. Texas, UTSA, UTEP, Rice, and UAB (which was going to discontinue football before something happened that they changed their minds). That is hardly a strong lineup, and is worse than the bottom half of the SunBelt. The top teams (ODU and Southern Miss) are better than any team in the SunBelt, but realignment has favored the SunBelt in overall strength.
ODU is not better than App. They got steamrolled in back to back games recently 31-7 and 49-0.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 713957001/
And that could help explain why the NCAA granted Liberty a waiver for the rule that it needed to have an invitation from a conference to move up to the FBS level, surprising a number of administrators around the country. Had it not been granted, Falwell acknowledged he would have explored a “monster lawsuit” against presidents who opposed Liberty on religious grounds.
Class of 20Something wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 713957001/
And that could help explain why the NCAA granted Liberty a waiver for the rule that it needed to have an invitation from a conference to move up to the FBS level, surprising a number of administrators around the country. Had it not been granted, Falwell acknowledged he would have explored a “monster lawsuit” against presidents who opposed Liberty on religious grounds.
Wow. I'm surprised no one on this board suspected that..... :roll:
I think the few that said that could never happen were the ones that thought a lawsuit was unlikely. Like many others, I expected a lawsuit would be the end game of all this. Jerry was probably drooling over the prospect...maybe even slightly disappointed that he couldn't add that feather to his cap.
flameshaw wrote: Being that we never threatened a lawsuit and likely never would have filed one, it is a yuuuuuuge leap to assume that would be our direction. The NCAA is involved in lawsuits all the time. Doubtful they would be afraid of taking on little old LU in court. Don't think that anyone could successfully argue that we were not ready for FBS from a facilities and financial perspective, we just needed the ok/invitation to move forward. It will take a few years, but I suspect a conference invite will be forthcoming and that we will accept.

This seems comical now...
thepostman wrote:
flameshaw wrote: Being that we never threatened a lawsuit and likely never would have filed one, it is a yuuuuuuge leap to assume that would be our direction. The NCAA is involved in lawsuits all the time. Doubtful they would be afraid of taking on little old LU in court. Don't think that anyone could successfully argue that we were not ready for FBS from a facilities and financial perspective, we just needed the ok/invitation to move forward. It will take a few years, but I suspect a conference invite will be forthcoming and that we will accept.

This seems comical now...
It seemed comical then. And 13's posts as well
Well, let's be honest, anyone who follows everything that the school does, good and bad, agreed that they would resort to a lawsuit. That's Liberty's style. I honestly wouldn't even blame them necessarily. In my opinion it's miles apart from some of the other questionable actions. I think they actually had some good arguments.
Had it not been granted, Falwell acknowledged he would have explored a “monster lawsuit” against presidents who opposed Liberty on religious grounds.
“I don't know what we would have done,” he said, “but it was a major antitrust violation for schools to try to keep Liberty out based on nothing other than disagreement on religious and political issues.

We called governors and attorney generals and various states where these schools were located. One attorney general wanted to go after one of the presidents, but I said, we won't get in a conference through legal action so we didn’t encourage them to do that.”

The above doesn't sound like Jr. had already made up his mind, before the ruling, to definitely file a lawsuit. Not trying to wiggle out of my comment or parse words. My post did say "likely not", not "definitely not". I have read tons of things on here a lot more comical and 100% incorrect. I am still not convinced, that if we were not approved for FBS, that we would have sued. I am certain, we would have explored it as Jr. stated. However, IF we were to lose that lawsuit, there really wasn't anything good that would result in a loss of the lawsuit. Our chances of ever getting into a conference, or getting a waver would almost be zero. We will never know, with certainty, what we would have done...........thankfully.
Kinda interesting to see some who don't believe half of what Jr. says, all of a sudden take something he would have "explored" as gospel truth, without considering all of the quotes, information available. Not real surprising. :roll:
Last edited by flameshaw on September 28th, 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flameshaw wrote:Had it not been granted, Falwell acknowledged he would have explored a “monster lawsuit” against presidents who opposed Liberty on religious grounds.
“I don't know what we would have done,” he said, “but it was a major antitrust violation for schools to try to keep Liberty out based on nothing other than disagreement on religious and political issues.

We called governors and attorney generals and various states where these schools were located. One attorney general wanted to go after one of the presidents, but I said, we won't get in a conference through legal action so we didn’t encourage them to do that.”

The above doesn't sound like Jr. had already made up his mind, before the ruling, to definitely file a lawsuit. Not trying to wiggle out of my comment or parse words. My post did say "likely not", not "definitely not". I have read tons of things on here a lot more comical and 100% incorrect. I am still not convinced, that if we were not approved for FBS, that we would have sued. I am certain, we would have explored it as Jr. stated. However, IF we were to lose that lawsuit, there really wasn't anything good that would result in a loss of the lawsuit. Our chances of ever getting into a conference, or getting a waver would almost be zero. We will never know, with certainty, what we would have done...........thankfully.
Kinda interesting to see some who don't believe half of what Jr. says, all of a sudden take something he would have "explored" as gospel truth, without considering all of the quotes, information available. Not real surprising. :roll:
:koolaid :koolaid :koolaid :koolaid
flameshaw wrote:Had it not been granted, Falwell acknowledged he would have explored a “monster lawsuit” against presidents who opposed Liberty on religious grounds.

Yes, we’ve already established you’ll believe everything you’re told.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]