Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I do not think so, in reference to Independent Bowl Tie In.

With that being said, I personally do not like some of the current bowl tie in's, even those involving Power 5 schools. The number 7 team in Big 10 with a 6-6 record should not be tied into any bowl, same goes for every other conference.

The number 1 key to any bowl bid for LU will probably be, "how many fans we will bring to bowl". Thus when we get a bowl bid, it's imperative that we sell a lot of tickets and take a lot of fans,, regardless of bowl.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ball coach, I'm with you on the undeserving getting a bowl bid. But there being so many bowl games, the cities and groups hosting them have to find SOMEBODY to play.

Sadly, it's all about what you said: whose fan base will travel. There are some .500 record teams in the Power 5's whose fans will travel much better than a G5 or lower school that wins or finishes runner-up in their league.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
IIRC, there have been sub-.500 teams in recent years who got a invite. Crazy. If I coached a 5-6 team that got invited to a bowl, I'd have a hard time. It turning it down.

I seem to recall from my SMGT days at LU that many bowls lose money. It's such a weird system.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:IIRC, there have been sub-.500 teams in recent years who got a invite. Crazy. If I coached a 5-6 team that got invited to a bowl, I'd have a hard time. It turning it down.

I seem to recall from my SMGT days at LU that many bowls lose money. It's such a weird system.
Usually until you get to one of the Big Bowls around New Year's Day, and even then it's no guarantee, most every team loses money going to a Bowl. The Bowl itself is sometimes a Non Profit entity so it makes things different
This could be a positive in LU remaining Independent. It wouldn't have to share Bowl revenue with anyone. Conversely it wouldn't receive shares from other Conference teams appearing in Bowls
Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]