Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ewglenn
Obviously Thursday night games are typically nationally televised games. Do y'all think Liberty will try to get an agreement with ESPN to get Liberty on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU for Thursday/ night games?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I could see us getting a possible Thursday night on ESPNU. I think ESPN to the SEC or ACC on Thursday and ESPN2 would also be a P5 game
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Why would they not? Or any other day of the week?
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:Why would they not? Or any other day of the week?
It's obvious to do it for away games. I should have put home games. Attendance numbers for those games are always really low. Even P5 schools struggle to get fans out. So what I'm asking is would they sacrifice home attendance to get a nationally televised game per year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think LU will get a Thursday night game, not so sure of one this season, but next season. If we can upset Baylor, it will help us get one quicker.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I think LU will get a Thursday night game, not so sure of one this season, but next season. If we can upset Baylor, it will help us get one quicker.
Has LU ever upset a P5 school?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
It's obvious to do it for away games. I should have put home games. Attendance numbers for those games are always really low. Even P5 schools struggle to get fans out. So what I'm asking is would they sacrifice home attendance to get a nationally televised game per year.
Again, why would they not? Or any other day of the week? Attendance won't be an issue
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
Again, why would they not? Or any other day of the week? Attendance won't be an issue
November 19 7:00 PM No. 4 Coastal Carolina Williams Stadium • Lynchburg, VA ESPNews W 24–21

18,955 Attendance

From the LU Wiki.

245 shy of capacity for an FCS game makes it look like a good idea going forward.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
But if that game wasn't on ESPNews (or national TV), I doubt we'd get that crowd.
By Ewglenn
jbock13 wrote:But if that game wasn't on ESPNews (or national TV), I doubt we'd get that crowd.
Also if that game wasn't against Coastal, who was ranked #4 at the time, we wouldn't get that crowd. I think week night games are a good idea in the long run but there are plenty of negatives to those games. A lot of fans from outside of VA won't be able to make it to week night games because of work the next day. If it's on a Friday the coaching staff misses out on high school games they would otherwise be scouting. Just wanted to see the opinions.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
jbock13 wrote:But if that game wasn't on ESPNews (or national TV), I doubt we'd get that crowd.
Also if that game wasn't against Coastal, who was ranked #4 at the time, we wouldn't get that crowd. I think week night games are a good idea in the long run but there are plenty of negatives to those games. A lot of fans from outside of VA won't be able to make it to week night games because of work the next day. If it's on a Friday the coaching staff misses out on high school games they would otherwise be scouting. Just wanted to see the opinions.
If it wasn't on ESPN or Nationally Televised why have it on a weeknight? That's the point of those games. LU would draw really well mid week. Much better than some schools
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
If it wasn't on ESPN or Nationally Televised why have it on a weeknight? That's the point of those games. LU would draw really well mid week. Much better than some schools
I never said that wasn't the point of those games.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Then what are you saying? There are 0 negatives for LU doing and paying anything it can to get an ESPN weekday game.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Those games are about exposure for a school like LU. As long as the stadium isn't half empty it's definitely a big win to be on.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:That was also free ticket day for staff.
There were a lot of tickets being given away either for free or at a steep discount for that game to get people to show up.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I would prefer all Liberty home games to be on Thursday night. I wouldn't have to worry about missing an important game on TV. lol.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
There were a lot of tickets being given away either for free or at a steep discount for that game to get people to show up.
It really depends upon who we are playing. If it is Army, do you really think we would have problems with turn out?
By rtb72
I like Thursday night games and I think LU could draw a respectable crowd. A lot of student bodies at schools our size don't attend as strongly as our kids do. Granted...winning matters, so a Thursday night game last year may not have made much of a difference. But with improved competition and an LU team to look forward to...I really think it would be a win (hopefully on the field and in marketing). Plus, it gives me a reason to take off all day on Thursday to travel up from NC.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:
It really depends upon who we are playing. If it is Army, do you really think we would have problems with turn out?
Most definitely. The matchup will be key.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]