Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
It is never to early to start thinking about next weeks game. :D

First, the line is Baylor by 30. Atleast that's what I found on a couple sites.

Second, Baylor's defensive backfield is limping into the season. Their coach is really concerned about this as they will not be at full strength in regards to depth or talent against us next week.

Third, their o-line had 3 guys leave the program over the summer and they have a freshman starting at center as well as some depth issues like us on the o-line.

Fourth, they have still not named their starting QB against us.

Fifth, their #1 running back is suspended for the first 3 games.

Lastly, as we all know, they are breaking in a new coach and a new offensive system.

I know we will do our predictions next week but I can't contain myself with the kool-aid I have been drinking the last few days. With that said, This game is beginning to line up favorably for us to show up and potentially shock the baby bears. I am not saying that this game is a done deal with a victory for the flames. However, I am saying we have a great opportunity to REALLY show our promo of FBS READY. Our o-line's development and consistency will be a big reason why we win, keep it close or get blown-out.
At Flames Fan Fest today, the our defense looked strong, tight, and consistent. Buckshot was absolutely sacrificing WRs to the defense. He was making the throws, but the defense was like white on rice. There were a few magnificent break ups, an incredibly athletic INT, and they never seemed lost. A source discussed the difference with training camp with tackling this year versus previous seasons without. They indicated that least season, it seemed there were a couple weeks of breaking the muscle memory of pulling off and/or being afraid to tackle.

Based on your research, we might match up well with the bears.
By BrutalBear
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: Second, Baylor's defensive backfield is limping into the season. Their coach is really concerned about this as they will not be at full strength in regards to depth or talent against us next week.
While this is true, our defensive backfield is the deepest part of our team this year. A lot of talent, be it untested, is on the roster back there. As a BU fan/alum/former player I hope to see the defense take a huge step forward this year. If Coach Phil Snow is as advertised many BU faithful will be very happy. So many of us were sick of seeing our defense under Bennett create third and long time after to time just to get burned on Third or Fourth and a million.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: Third, their o-line had 3 guys leave the program over the summer and they have a freshman starting at center as well as some depth issues like us on the o-line.
The depth on the offensive line is what scares me the most about this team. We had 5 scholarship offensive linemen on campus during spring ball if that tells you guys anything about the nature of our problem in this position group. The young guys seem to be coming along well and the staff is really impressed with the freshman center Ryan Miller. Apparently he picks things up quite quickly, is a weight room addict, and is very very physical. This depth issue is why our more mobile QB was picked as starter though I have a feeling we may see a good bit of both QB 1 and QB 2.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: Fourth, they have still not named their starting QB against us.
Anu Solomon (Arizona grad transfer) will be starting. This is mostly due to the depth issue on the line. Coach Rhule wanted someone more mobile back there in case the line breaks down. Zach Smith has a lot of talent and a pro arm but he isn't the most fleet footed guy on the roster. I understand he was injured for a portion of last year, so that may have contributed to his lack of speed, but even then I believe he's probably more Chevy Tahoe than McLaren F1. That said, I believe we will see both guys get quite a few snaps in this game.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: Fifth, their #1 running back is suspended for the first 3 games.

Wrong. We do however have an O-Lineman suspended for the first half and a DB suspended for the first 3 games. He's recovering from surgery on an injury. I'm hoping he's back by time conference play starts. He's fairly quick, but he's more of a bruising big back that we really need. We have other guys to take on the speed role.
Lastly, as we all know, they are breaking in a new coach and a new offensive system.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: This game is beginning to line up favorably for us to show up and potentially shock the baby bears. I am not saying that this game is a done deal with a victory for the flames.
I respectfully disagree. ;-) The cupboard isn't bare in Waco. As long as we don't lose any more offensive linemen or DBs to injury or suspension I think the Bears take it in the range of 38-14. Thanks for having me. I always enjoy good banter during the football season. I'm not here to troll, just to talk football. If you guys have any questions about the team or any questions about Waco if you're visiting, feel free to message me or hit me up here and I'll do my best to answer!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]