Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/stad ... book-2017/

Without a conference affiliation, LFSN will be on it's own in 2018. This opens up some interesting avenues for LFSN to make broadcasting contracts. Stadium is a new network that has some strong partners behind it. The have agreed to carry nearly 30 G5 games this season with 15 of them being live streamed on Facebook. ESPN is largely seen as a sinking ship because of overpaying for every football market and making bad PC decisions as of late.

The NFL has been partnering with Twitter and Yahoo for the free streaming of select games and it was obvious Twitter was ready to handle the burden of the network traffic.

The question becomes, who does LFSN syndicate with?

NBC Sports is a strong option that is in a lot of homes already. It won't require a smart TV or any other smart set top box. It is a recognized name and can make regional contracts as well. NBCSports is also known for having the highest quality video feed of most major sports networks.

Fox College Sports is another interesting option. They are picking up where ESPN is failing, however their regional network coverage is spotty at best. Here in Lynchburg, finding a FCS provider is nearly impossible. Comcast is the largest cable provider in the area and does not carry FCS.

Streaming independently. Liberty recently launched the Liberty University app on Roku. It is easy to use, streams live TV, and has every convocation easily accessible. This is a viable option IF a large scale advertising campaign is waged.

Streaming with a social media network. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Stadium, Yahoo, and others have began streaming live sports. Piggybacking on their bandwidth capabilities will help long term, however I don't think this makes sense in the short term as I don't believe our viewership is large enough to crash what we are independently capable of. If Liberty does choose to use one of these platforms, they will need ways to guarantee picture quality without paying too much. Last year a few basketball games were carried on Facebook. I watched these games because of how accessible they were. Not because I follow basketball.

I think LFSN needs to find a way to get into as many hands as possible without charging a dime in the short term. The base needs to grow over the next few years. While there is money to be had in TV contracts, I believe that exposure to the university and its teams is far more valuable.
Excellent info CO2. I am not as bearish on ESPN. Yes they are making some bad PR moves, and have been for years. However their platform, and streaming services are still so far above the others you mentioned. I would like to see LFSN stick with ESPN syndication. ESPN3 is so accessible by most across the country. If you truly think that exposure is most valuable in the short term, ESPN can provide that better than any of the others mentioned.
flamehunter wrote:Stadium is owned by Sinclair broadcasting. They bought ASN, Scar's old network. Sinclair also owns WSET so I am hoping 13.2 will become a Stadium channel.
With so many starting to cut cable, being on an OTA like Stadium seems like a good idea. On the other hand ESPN 3 is available to so many people, could we make it available to multiple networks/platforms at the same time?
Is there not a way to simply contract the bigger games out to multiple regional networks like MASN?

As a millennial, I like the idea of live streaming but it usually only last a few minutes until I move on. If there is a game that I want to see, either I go to the game or find it on TV. Point being, utilize live streaming for smaller games and to generate some publicity but get the bigger games on TV's.
VAGolf wrote:Is there not a way to simply contract the bigger games out to multiple regional networks like MASN?

As a millennial, I like the idea of live streaming but it usually only last a few minutes until I move on. If there is a game that I want to see, either I go to the game or find it on TV. Point being, utilize live streaming for smaller games and to generate some publicity but get the bigger games on TV's.
Sound strategy. I think MASN would need to get into Lynchburg though. It's not available unless you have satellite(DirecTV / Dish)
Class of 20Something wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Is there not a way to simply contract the bigger games out to multiple regional networks like MASN?

Sound strategy. I think MASN would need to get into Lynchburg though. It's not available unless you have satellite(DirecTV / Dish)
They're available on Cox and I believe Verizon too.
Streaming is the only way I get to watch Liberty athletics unless I take a weekend and travel to the Burg - which doesn't happen often. I'd get to watch a Liberty football game maybe once every three years without streaming, so I'm all for keeping the ESPN3/LFSN streams going. MASN is available here, but I'd have to pay extra for it and I'm paying too much for cable right now anyway.

I'n not sure what you mean. Streaming doesn't mean it's not on a TV. A TV is a device. Streaming is the method of delivery, not the device on which it's consumed.

There are many families that watch all of their content exclusively on TV's and stream 100% of their content.

What I think you mean is that you want the games to be broadcast on either an over the air/subscription cable/subscription satellite channel. These days, I don't think you can use the term "TV" and have it mean what you seemed to be inferring.
Yacht Rock wrote:

I'n not sure what you mean. Streaming doesn't mean it's not on a TV. A TV is a device. Streaming is the method of delivery, not the device on which it's consumed.

There are many families that watch all of their content exclusively on TV's and stream 100% of their content.

What I think you mean is that you want the games to be broadcast on either an over the air/subscription cable/subscription satellite channel. These days, I don't think you can use the term "TV" and have it mean what you seemed to be inferring.
I understand how streaming works...networks are starting to catch on and don't want games being streamed that they're also broadcasting. The exceptions would be NBC's Thursday Night Football being streamed on Twitter. In that case however, it's NBC's crew and it's their broadcast. This would be our broadcast being contracted out to regional outlets. I don't see a network like MASN agreeing to that if the game can also be received on Twitter.

Additionally, this is also why MASN, and other regional networks won't stream their content through avenues like Sling. Thus, I believe we're at an either/or option.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't work in that industry but from what I've read and heard, that's how the more regional networks are operating.
VAGolf wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:

I understand how streaming works...networks are starting to catch on and don't want games being streamed that they're also broadcasting. The exceptions would be NBC's Thursday Night Football being streamed on Twitter. In that case however, it's NBC's crew and it's their broadcast. This would be our broadcast being contracted out to regional outlets. I don't see a network like MASN agreeing to that if the game can also be received on Twitter.

Additionally, this is also why MASN, and other regional networks won't stream their content through avenues like Sling. Thus, I believe we're at an either/or option.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't work in that industry but from what I've read and heard, that's how the more regional networks are operating.
I just didn't understand when you said, to paraphrase, "I don't want to watch a streaming game, I'd rather watch it on TV." Those two aren't mutually exclusive. I.E. streaming content, even if it isn't on broadcast, is available to watch on a TV via Roku, Apple TV, smart TV's, etc.
Ah, sorry, I should have phrased better. I mostly meant aiming to stream games on Twitter and Facebook. That seems geared towards tablets and iphones. That's fine if we're playing Presby or Idaho, but I need the game with ODU on the big screen.
VAGolf wrote:Ah, sorry, I should have phrased better. I mostly meant aiming to stream games on Twitter and Facebook. That seems geared towards tablets and iphones. That's fine if we're playing Presby or Idaho, but I need the game with ODU on the big screen.
I don't know if even that's accurate going forward. Nearly everyone I know has the ability to play Twitter and Facebook streaming content on their television and do when there is something they are interested in.

It is correct that a lot of people might not know how to do that, but, it was just a few years ago that people though that Netflix was relegated to the computer screen as well.

I would agree though that most people don't want to watch most of their games on a small device or computer. Most fans want to watch it on a TV.
SumItUp wrote:The #1 difference for me in the streaming services vs. Cable/SAT/OTA services is the live DVR options. Streaming services are severely lacking in DVR functionality.
This right here. Yea streaming options are great, but why they don't incorporate dvr options is beyond me.
SumItUp wrote:The #1 difference for me in the streaming services vs. Cable/SAT/OTA services is the live DVR options. Streaming services are severely lacking in DVR functionality.
Yes, but they are adding that functionality (albeit slowly). Both Sling & DirecTV Now are rolling it out.

Of course, I am a "TIVO Snob." No one does it like TIVO... Alas, I can't justify the expense. It was best when it was a $5 add on to DirecTV.
This would be another great possibility for the long shot of getting College Gameday in Lynchburg
. Getting the major influx of eyes and devices on Saturday morning and also maybe getting the game on one of the satellite channels like ESPNU (Since ESPN, ESPN 2 and ABC will be contractually carrying major games) and hopefully parlay that into a position where we can get more opportunities for otber games down the line
Last edited by BJWilliams on August 26th, 2017, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJWilliams wrote:This would be another great possibility for the long shot of getting College Gameday in Lynchburg
. Getting the major influx of eyes and devices on Saturday morning and also maybe getting the game on one of the satellite channels loke EDPNU (Since ESPN, ESPN 2 and ABC will be contracually carrying major games) and hopefully parlay that into a position where we can get more opportunities for otber games down the line
JMU hosted before they were national Champions. I think LU has a shot. We certainly have the student support for it.
Im not sure if this is directed at me JK, but I know that getting Gameday, especially for the ODU game is a massive longhot at best, but it'd be an awesome showcase for the campus upgrades and the expansion of the stadium among other things
BJWilliams wrote:Im not sure if this is directed at me JK, but I know that getting Gameday, especially for the ODU game is a massive longhot at best, but it'd be an awesome showcase for the campus upgrades and the expansion of the stadium among other things
The thought that Gameday would come to Lynchburg on the opening weekend of the college football season is absurd. Week 6-8? Worth dreaming about. Week 1? See FSU vs. Bama.
Can we mention that WSET channel 13 is based in Lynchburg, and you cannot get it over the air in Lynchburg. I live 50 miles away and have zero chance of getting WSET with any type of antenna.

This thread started asking how LFSN should move forward, and I urge them to never , never go with WSET.
LUnpretty11 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Im not sure if this is directed at me JK, but I know that getting Gameday, especially for the ODU game is a massive longhot at best, but it'd be an awesome showcase for the campus upgrades and the expansion of the stadium among other things
The thought that Gameday would come to Lynchburg on the opening weekend of the college football season is absurd. Week 6-8? Worth dreaming about. Week 1? See FSU vs. Bama.
That's why I said it would be a massive longshot AT BEST. Being kickoff weekend, im certain there will be some massive matchups in Atlanta and Dallas and other places where theyll want the eyeballs on Saturday morning. Just a cool pipe dream i had rattling around in my overly active, sports loving brain

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]