Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: December 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm
stokesjokes wrote: December 17th, 2021, 11:19 am I think we should build a smaller stadium next to the bigger stadium and never use the big one again.
:lol: :D :lol: I don't know who would ever do that...
Well at least they wouldn't have to go through the hassle of setting up and tearing down for graduation every year. Makes sense to me. :wink:
BlueBlood, LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:06 am
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:54 am How about we actually fill the place once before we start talking expansion?
Spoken like a true disciple of The Dark Side.
People on this Board tend to overlook the small fact LU has had 2 Nationally Ranked teams come to town and could not sell out either. Yet they are perplexed why LU can’t get an invite to the ACC or why GameDay hasn’t been on campus
So true. Worrying about seating for the handful of actual games that will get sold out only by opposing fans ( next year twice ) and 1 a year maybe after that OR tiering a good looking end zone so a couple hundred “family friendly” tickets for little kids to roll down the hill makes zero sense. Ticket sales are only going to go down once 2022 is behind us.
Liberty22 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:54 am How about we actually fill the place once before we start talking expansion?
People on this Board tend to overlook the small fact LU has had 2 Nationally Ranked teams come to town and could not sell out either. Yet they are perplexed why LU can’t get an invite to the ACC or why GameDay hasn’t been on campus
So true. Worrying about seating for the handful of actual games that will get sold out only by opposing fans ( next year twice ) and 1 a year maybe after that OR tiering a good looking end zone so a couple hundred “family friendly” tickets for little kids to roll down the hill makes zero sense. Ticket sales are only going to go down once 2022 is behind us.
I feel like you want them to. :lol: :shock:
Kricket liked this
By LUDad
For what its worth, the link below gives ACC stadium capacities and seats sold. However, it does not reveal no shows. I imagine a number of season seats sold each year go unfilled, especially if team is having bad year.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:06 pm
tyndal23 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm

I feel like you want them to. :lol: :shock:
Not sure what you mean? Clarify - what I want “ them” to do? U talking about tiering the bowl or tickets sales to go down?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:40 pm Ticket sales going down.
Why on earth would I want that?
I was just pointing out that you sounded like you wanted that. It was part tongue-in-cheek. Apologies I wasn’t clear on that.

But I could see you feeling that way to justify your previously-held position of P5 or bust. It’s not a far leap for me to hear you in three years saying, “See, we went CUSA, and ticket sales dropped. If we had bought more home P5 games, like I said we should, then that wouldn’t have happened.”
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 7:23 am
tyndal23 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:40 pm Ticket sales going down.
Why on earth would I want that?
I was just pointing out that you sounded like you wanted that. It was part tongue-in-cheek. Apologies I wasn’t clear on that.

But I could see you feeling that way to justify your previously-held position of P5 or bust. It’s not a far leap for me to hear you in three years saying, “See, we went CUSA, and ticket sales dropped. If we had bought more home P5 games, like I said we should, then that wouldn’t have happened.”
True, I didn’t want anything to do with G5 and believed Ian when he stated repeatedly we prefer Independent. I also stated we have a hard cap on local fan base and to build the Program on future tv and national appeal since most of our alumni are scattered. Since he chose to go CUSA, while I disagree, I also concede that with all the changes this year in CFB, he may have felt Independence was no longer best option. We made the choice, and I won’t be negative and will root for CUSA success. But if you want to argue projected ticket sale trajectory ( which continue to drop nationally) based on CUSA teams that are all outside 5 hour drives - happy to debate that all day. If Marshall, JMU, ODU were in - then I could see more ticket sales, as PH pointed out, we didn’t even sell out HF first game with a ranked P5 team visiting. The games that will sell out will be P5 - after 22 we will have 1 every other year or so, spending $ on stadium capacity is just spending it for opposing fan base to make more noise at our home games.
By tyndal23
ballcoach15 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 4:47 pm ODU will never move the needle on attendance in Lynchburg.
Referring to travel fan bases, not Lynchburg. Lynchburg has proven they don’t really have a needle. Which of the 8 teams with 4 CUSA home games will “move the needle” OR travel well? Which will have out of state alumni flying in for? JMU, Coastal, App St and the occasional P5 games will have higher tickets sales than any of our Conference opponents. Am I wrong?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 5:21 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 4:47 pm ODU will never move the needle on attendance in Lynchburg.
Referring to travel fan bases, not Lynchburg. Lynchburg has proven they don’t really have a needle. Which of the 8 teams with 4 CUSA home games will “move the needle” OR travel well? Which will have out of state alumni flying in for? JMU, Coastal, App St and the occasional P5 games will have higher tickets sales than any of our Conference opponents. Am I wrong?
For now. Once we are in the conference awhile there may be a natural rivalry emerge (See MB and Lipscomb in ASUN). Conference games have more drawing power and importance than out of conference teams we may play once every blue moon (eg Middle Tennessee).
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Athletics Announces Williams Stadium Expansion Plans
January 20, 2022 Lynchburg, Va. RSS |

All seats on the West side of the stadium will be upgraded to chairback seating, and all seats on the upper East side of the stadium will be upgraded to benchback seating.

At the South end zone, 23 cabanas will be added above a newly graded berm with additional space for students and overflow seating.

Complete with seating for eight and a roof to keep the sun and weather out, each cabana will be furnished with a TV, fan, heater, and waiter service. A cabana could be the perfect space for your family or clients to cheer on the Flames!
stokesjokes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah that area will be huge for families with young kids. I like how all the non student areas will now have at least benchbacks. A lot of nice little things that don't necessarily add seating but makes the experience better.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 2:06 pm I wish stadium would go back to having some General Admission seating.
NEVER going to happen, Ballcoach. We are are so far beyond that now. If you want GA seating, go to a high school game.
By tyndal23

Lot of details. Seems like a mixed message on being used only for “overflow” and also discusses family friendly berm seating. Confirms 1 D1, 1 FCS, 2 regional G5 as future scheduling philosophy. Getting new turf as well and for PH and BC , he teases upcoming announcements on improved concessions.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
I really like the visual. Cabana’s blend in with stadium and are at the top vs just a quirky end zone G5 gimmick look. Can easily fill in seats down symmetrically down the road as needed. Very well designed and thought out. Nice work once again Ian.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]