Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Cider, find the construction cam on west side of stadium, and turn it a few degrees to the right, so we can see south end zone area.
Sounds like a job for TF. He's got keys to everywhere!
“In addition, a new 1,400 car garage, located near the major pedestrian tunnel linking East Campus to Main Campus, will provide much needed parking for events at the Vines Center—a major venue for both University and major events. East Campus’ improved accessibility and visibility from Rt. 460 highly recommend it as the future home of the Basketball Arena and associated structured parking. With the expanded Football Stadium(2018 $ 2019) to the West, the new Arena helps form a striking new identityfor Liberty.”
Liberty University 2030 Master Plan: June 2016 pg. 99(issuu.com/chenlu7/docs/lu_master_plan_030116_print)

Unless JLFJR or the director of construction(who’ll get the call and planning from JR) says otherwise, then the arena will be located exactly in the location of Docs.’
cruzan_flame13 wrote:“In addition, a new 1,400 car garage, located near the major pedestrian tunnel linking East Campus to Main Campus, will provide much needed parking for events at the Vines Center—a major venue for both University and major events. East Campus’ improved accessibility and visibility from Rt. 460 highly recommend it as the future home of the Basketball Arena and associated structured parking. With the expanded Football Stadium(2018 $ 2019) to the West, the new Arena helps form a striking new identityfor Liberty.”
Liberty University 2030 Master Plan: June 2016 pg. 99(issuu.com/chenlu7/docs/lu_master_plan_030116_print)

Unless JLFJR or the director of construction(who’ll get the call and planning from JR) says otherwise, then the arena will be located exactly in the location of Docs.’
That's all well and good. But we know how quickly plans change at LU. That Innovation Center that never materialized is exhibit #1.
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:“In addition, a new 1,400 car garage, located near the major pedestrian tunnel linking East Campus to Main Campus, will provide much needed parking for events at the Vines Center—a major venue for both University and major events. East Campus’ improved accessibility and visibility from Rt. 460 highly recommend it as the future home of the Basketball Arena and associated structured parking. With the expanded Football Stadium(2018 $ 2019) to the West, the new Arena helps form a striking new identityfor Liberty.”

Looking through the master planned manual, I see an interesting building located where the bookstore is now. It seem like the the project is a building and a car garage(just assuming) that is connected to the pedestrian bridge, which connects to the front stairway of the arena(what is suppose to be the basketball arena). I’m not a 100%, but the figure pictures are located in the east campus precinct section. Whatever that building is, it is going to look amazing being included with the facilities surrounding it.

That's all well and good. But we know how quickly plans change at LU. That Innovation Center that never materialized is exhibit #1.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The hill in the south end zone of the football stadium is GONE. That area is now all dirt and flat as a pancake. :shock:
The hill is still there. It looks more spacious and flat once they took out the visitor's locker room. Doing excavation and a lot of grading to bring the berm closer to the field, per the sketch above and to make room for the grand entrance/ticket windows. They will be filling in that area with a lot of dirt over the next few weeks.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I went by the stadium this morning and viewed the construction. I am glad the south end of stadium will undergo a major change. I have never liked that end of stadium, since the scoreboard was removed.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, you were on campus but didn't look me up? :oldhag
By GillsHill-LU
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:I hope they put a ribbon board on the student side as well.
I can confirm a new Ribbon Video Board will be going on the Student side. It will stretch longer than the home side ribbon board, which is being replace after next season to match what is installed this off-season on the student side. There is also going to be a New MUCH LARGER video Board and scoreboard installed in the same location as the existing (atop the FOC).
By GillsHill-LU
Registration Days Posts
There is going to be a new Video Board going up on the FOC. It will be about 4 times larger than the current board. They will be adding a video ribbon board on the student side that will extend the entire length of the field. After this upcoming season they will be replacing the Home side ribbon board to match that of the student side.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am not surprised to see that these upgrades are happening in the same capital project with the expansion. I am anxious to see what it will look like in reality as opposed to graphics.
ballcoach15 wrote:Hopefully new board will show out of town scores.

Hopefully new video board will show more replays and less of student section.
I predict that both sides of the board will be vertical advertisements. The score will be included in the screen portion rather than traditional LCD boards.

Also, the current screen is (20'x36')720 sq ft. Quadrupling the square footage would give us 2880 sq ft. We would still be 800 sq ft from being in the top 25 largest screens in CFB.

VT is 4,343 sq ft
Baylor is 5,029 sq ft
Auburn has the largest at 10,830 sq. ft; 190' x 57'
By GillsHill-LU
Registration Days Posts
Its going to be around 3,380 sq ft. They were wanting to go big like Baylor. The problem with duplicating Baylor or other similar Video Boards is that ours goes on the FOC right beyond the North Endzone while Hokie vision is behind and atop endzone stands and Baylor is mounted 100 feet further back than where the FOC is, so going with a screen that large while being that close to the stands would not be a good thing. While yes the Baylor board is still much larger it will not honestly feel much different from a spectator standpoint.
By GillsHill-LU
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Hopefully new board will show out of town scores.

Hopefully new video board will show more replays and less of student section.
The Ribbon Board does do that currently (Student Side can see them) and I imagine they will continue that with the new ribbon boards. And I do also hope to see more in-game replays as they occur.
GillsHill-LU wrote:Its going to be around 3,380 sq ft. They were wanting to go big like Baylor. The problem with duplicating Baylor or other similar Video Boards is that ours goes on the FOC right beyond the North Endzone while Hokie vision is behind and atop endzone stands and Baylor is mounted 100 feet further back than where the FOC is, so going with a screen that large while being that close to the stands would not be a good thing. While yes the Baylor board is still much larger it will not honestly feel much different from a spectator standpoint.
WOW! That is nearly 5 times the size. The proximity to the playing field will make it seem much larger. Thanks for the hard numbers.
By willflop
I remember thinking Monmouth's new scoreboard looked big on TV this year. That was 1800 sq feet, pictured here for perspective (and of course it's a picture of the final score against LU this year): http://monmouthhawks.com/news/2017/11/2 ... board.aspx

The article points out that south dakota state is ranked 1 in FCS at 3100 sq ft., so we are out of the FCS at least.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]