Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
pca0711 wrote:Just a quick note when it comes to parking for basketball games. All lots (not reserved for Flames Club) open up at 4:00pm. I get that you will still have to look for one but if you leave enough time, parking at East and walking through the tunnel is the best.
Did this on Saturday and can confirm the ease.
I parked in front of dorm to the right of David's Place. My normal spot over the was taken.
By LUOrange
Last McCaw said was that they were going to tier it this off-season. They've also said that their going to make enhancements to the Baptist side. I haven't heard officially what that means, but I think someone on here wrote that the Baptist side was going all-chairback.
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: December 16th, 2021, 11:01 am That is my understanding as well. I also suspect that we may see temporary bleachers erected in front of the fieldhouse for the VT game.
End Zone Tiering could be done with ( for example ) 3 flat sections that are wide enough to put temp bleachers on with gentle slope for blanket/dwellers in between for P5 games. Remaining games, fans can bring their own lawn chairs for flat sections only. Frankly, would rather just have true home field advantage vs trying to squeeze every dollar out of an extra 2k or so visitors making noise for opponent. Since we are now CUSA, trying to appease/impress the few P5 teams scheduled to visit after 2022 doesn’t seem logical from ROI. I guess App St / JMU type games may also sell out. Spend that $ on recruiting budget until we sell out every game and really need to expand. End Zone looks fine on TV as is. I am all for the chair backs everywhere and no bleachers...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:54 am How about we actually fill the place once before we start talking expansion?
Spoken like a true disciple of The Dark Side.
People on this Board tend to overlook the small fact LU has had 2 Nationally Ranked teams come to town and could not sell out either. Yet they are perplexed why LU can’t get an invite to the ACC or why GameDay hasn’t been on campus
LUOrange, Ill flame liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:06 am People on this Board tend to overlook the small fact LU has had 2 Nationally Ranked teams come to town and could not sell out either.
If you check the academic calendar, weren't students ON BREAK for one or two of those games?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:18 am
Purple Haize wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:06 am People on this Board tend to overlook the small fact LU has had 2 Nationally Ranked teams come to town and could not sell out either.
If you check the academic calendar, weren't students ON BREAK for one or two of those games?
Do you think that would matter at any other P5 (or P5 equivalent) school? The answer is no
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Actually the answer is yes. Powerhouse P5s, no. But I have had to cover plenty of Thanksgiving break games over the years in the Big XII where stadiums were less than half filled based on disappointing seasons. Then you don't even factor in the fact that you have generational fans of P5 schools whose grandparents or parents went to school there locally who consider those schools the local team. Those numbers are incredibly small for us since a generation ago Liberty was still a small Christian college. The generation prior the school didn't even exist. The younger large schools aren't historically in the P5 club. Some like UCF are on the precipice but they have similar attendance issues as well around breaks. And then when you factor in the majority of our alumni move significant distances away from Lynchburg after graduation and you can see why our attendance has issues.

All of this is pointless in regard to the current discussion. We have a massive opportunity to capitalize on a local P5 home game where nearly every Hokey fan can easily drive to an away game and likely sit much closer to the action than they ever have experienced at Lane Stadium. Our AD had one of these types of games every year during his Big XII days in Waco as either the Longhorns or Aggies would come to town in rotation every year. I know many UT and A&M fat cat alumni who purchased season tickets to Baylor just to get prime seating for that one game. I suspect Ian is working his same magic right now.

Tiering the end zone is easy for us to adjust in future seasons as needed. Adding temporary bleachers for big games is common practice in the G5 world when high profile P5s come to town. They get rented and then moved away but can generate significant revenue. They even do this for Super Bowls. The Tech game is one of those rare opportunities. As ballcoach points out, their fans are less flakey and more passionate with their spending than their rivals in Hooville.

The tiered endzone might be needed for BYU as well. They have more of a diaspora to their fan base making us an attractive East Coast opportunity. I doubt we would need temporary bleachers for that one. But I'd love to be proven wrong based on ticket sales.
LUOrange, Liberty22 liked this
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: December 17th, 2021, 11:55 am
Do you think that would matter at any other P5 (or P5 equivalent) school? The answer is no
I mostly agree with what you're saying about attendance, P5 viability, etc. But there are many P5's that are struggling with attendance. Matter of factly there's a few not too far from the Burg and 1 has that issue when the kids are in town.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 12:18 pm Temp bleachers are so janky and amateur. I thought we were past that level of desperation.
They only look that way when they are empty. We also have the ability to add them as we fill up the other sections.
By LUOrange
What was the actual attendance of that game? From my vantage point, it didn't appear to be that bad considering Thanksgiving Break.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]