Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Cider Jim wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you read that please at least click the link so Damien gets credit for the views.
I can read the article in Explorer, but when I click on it through Google Chrome, all the text is grayed out in blocks (and I even have a subscription to the paper). Anyone know why that is?
If you are getting things grayed out in boxes, there’s a reason. As you may have seen across several websites, it is because a survey pops up that needs to be completed. You may need to scroll up or down to find it. That’s the only explanation I can think of that I’ve seen.
Cider Jim wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you read that please at least click the link so Damien gets credit for the views.
I can read the article in Explorer, but when I click on it through Google Chrome, all the text is grayed out in blocks (and I even have a subscription to the paper). Anyone know why that is?
I run Google and all I did was click refresh and all was good with the world.
On Google Chrome, the text of your article showed up, but only AFTER I was forced to take that annoying little survey. I'm glad Explorer doesn't require such things.

The north tower is now wrapped in brick. South Endzone entrance is looking great. Holy cow that is a lot of screen.

Anyone have a clue what the tarps on the staircases are? I can't imagine pulling all that out just for repainting the steps.
I found this proud press release from 2009. https://www.liberty.edu/alumni/alumni-news/?MID=7938

The old screen was exactly 20'x36'. With what looks like an additional 15-20' on each side of the screen. The new screen is taking up that entire width to take us to about 70' wide. The new framework is a little more than twice the height of the old screen minus the framework for "LIBERTY FLAMES" on top. I think it will end up being about 45'-50' tall. The square footage would end up between 3150 and 3500 square feet. We wouldn't break the top 25 screens in FBS, but we would be on the bubble.
Class of 20Something wrote:I found this proud press release from 2009. https://www.liberty.edu/alumni/alumni-news/?MID=7938

The old screen was exactly 20'x36'. With what looks like an additional 15-20' on each side of the screen. The new screen is taking up that entire width to take us to about 70' wide. The new framework is a little more than twice the height of the old screen minus the framework for "LIBERTY FLAMES" on top. I think it will end up being about 45'-50' tall. The square footage would end up between 3150 and 3500 square feet. We wouldn't break the top 25 screens in FBS, but we would be on the bubble.
Thanks class O'20 for sharing the update. However, all due respect I will be a little more excited approaching top 25 in other catergories. A Good tv does not make a better movie.
CCWMichael wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I found this proud press release from 2009. https://www.liberty.edu/alumni/alumni-news/?MID=7938

Thanks class O'20 for sharing the update. However, all due respect I will be a little more excited approaching top 25 in other catergories. A Good tv does not make a better movie.

You must not have ever been to an IMAX.
CCWMichael wrote:

The old screen was exactly 20'x36'. With what looks like an additional 15-20' on each side of the screen. The new screen is taking up that entire width to take us to about 70' wide. The new framework is a little more than twice the height of the old screen minus the framework for "LIBERTY FLAMES" on top. I think it will end up being about 45'-50' tall. The square footage would end up between 3150 and 3500 square feet. We wouldn't break the top 25 screens in FBS, but we would be on the bubble.[/quote

In due time.
Didn't they say the new jumbotron would be FOUR TIMES the size of the old one? Square footage should be easy to figure out, if you know the old dimensions.
:fineprint
Cider Jim wrote:Didn't they say the new jumbotron would be FOUR TIMES the size of the old one? Square footage should be easy to figure out, if you know the old dimensions.
:fineprint
Four times 720 is 2880. But I believe it was said to be "over four times" which is ambiguous. Based on some good ol eyeball engineering, I came up with some possible dimensions.
Here's the article Jon was referencing, and it does say the new upper deck will be "more than" 6,000 seats.

http://wset.com/sports/local-college-sp ... enovations

If we were at 19,200 BEFORE the renovation, wouldn't that put us over 25,200 seats PLUS the "berm" seating above the south endzone? I just want us to be bigger than JMU's 25,000-seat FCS stadium.
Cider Jim wrote:Here's the article Jon was referencing, and it does say the new upper deck will be "more than" 6,000 seats.

http://wset.com/sports/local-college-sp ... enovations

If we were at 19,200 BEFORE the renovation, wouldn't that put us over 25,200 seats PLUS the "berm" seating above the south endzone? I just want us to be bigger than JMU's 25,000-seat FCS stadium.
They can keep their lopsided stadium. They have high school bleachers on the visitors side. Williams Stadium is clearly superior.
I have talked to a couple people that have been walking back expectations of the stadium being fully complete for September 1st. I have no doubts that the seats, concessions, and bathrooms will be complete for the first game. There are 67 days left(Thanks megan) until the season starts.

From the East View it looks like they are starting to grade the ground on the North(right) side of the crane. And it looks like the Tyvek is up for a large portion of the facade. I would imagine they are going to aim for all superficial aspects to be complete.
ballcoach15 wrote:All of LU's athletic facilities make JMU's look like "high school facilities".
Have you seen their FB stadium?
Ballcoach, JMU's football stadium now seats 25,000. Do you know of any high school stadiums in Virginia that seat that many?
Ballcoach is dodging the question.
Cider Jim wrote:Do you know of any high school stadiums in Virginia that seat that many [25,000]?
ballcoach15 wrote:I drove by it several years ago.
They spent 62 million dollars expanding and renovating it in 2011. Either your little drive-bye came before that, or you are blind, because the place is beautiful. Easily one of the top handful of FCS facilities. And yes, it seats 25,000
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]