Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Liberty has submitted a Conditional Use Permit for the expansion of the football to 25,000 seats (23,100 actual seats and 1,900 grass seats on the hill) This is the very 1st line of this entire forum. What changed ? People keep saying 6k for the upper deck and we will have 25,001 if 1 person just sat on the berm...did I miss something?
tyndal23 wrote:Liberty has submitted a Conditional Use Permit for the expansion of the football to 25,000 seats (23,100 actual seats and 1,900 grass seats on the hill) This is the very 1st line of this entire forum. What changed ? People keep saying 6k for the upper deck and we will have 25,001 if 1 person just sat on the berm...did I miss something?
Go look in person. The number looks low. No one that has seen the new upper deck in person believes that it is only adding 3900 seats.
Class of 20Something wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Liberty has submitted a Conditional Use Permit for the expansion of the football to 25,000 seats (23,100 actual seats and 1,900 grass seats on the hill) This is the very 1st line of this entire forum. What changed ? People keep saying 6k for the upper deck and we will have 25,001 if 1 person just sat on the berm...did I miss something?
Go look in person. The number looks low. No one that has seen the new upper deck in person believes that it is only adding 3900 seats.
flamehunter wrote:Aren't we losing some seats somewhere too with the eventual addition of the boxes (loge I think is the term)?
I believe so but we also have to consider the phase 2 of this expansion that will beginning 6 months. So maybe that will make it to 25k or maybe it'll be a little more. Are the still going to create seats on the sides of the berm? As stated before, I also saw the new upper deck in person and it is pretty big.
ballcoach15 wrote:Hopefully plans are being implemented to improve concession operations.
Something we can agree on!
BuryYourDuke wrote:Just throwing this out there...the previous berm got used a total of a handful of times, and even then it was very sparsely populated.

We just built this huge arse second deck that we will only be able to fill with opponents like VA Tech and ODU’s fans.

Why are we concerned about how steep the berm is? It’s just there for looks.
The previous berm was also a quarter mile from the field and behind a building...
BuryYourDuke wrote:So now that they moved it another 10-12k people are going to show up and need to sit there?
If you build it they will come. Everyone knows that’s the foundation of a great athletic department. Am I right Miami?
BuryYourDuke wrote:So now that they moved it another 10-12k people are going to show up and need to sit there?
I think it would be short sighted to add the immediate need without posturing towards a future need.

I'm not claiming we're going to have to use it for seating in the next 5 years, but I absolutely was planning to be able to take my daughter to be a goof on the berm for the foreseeable future.
I think the question would be if younger families would rather sit on a second deck or on the berm where their kids could run around.
I never was great at math, but if our 1,900 person berm is NOT used, then doesn't that make our 25,000 FBS stadium only seat 23,100 (which is smaller than JMU's)?
Cider Jim wrote:I never was great at math, but if our 1,900 person berm is NOT used, then doesn't that make our 25,000 FBS stadium only seat 23,100 (which is smaller than JMU's)?
But it CAN be used so that potential number can be used
I'm still not sure, I thought they originally said the upper deck would be around 4k, which is where the 23k came from. At some point I remember it being changed to 6k, which would be 25k actual. Not sure if the actual plans changed or if I'm just remembering wrong.
willflop wrote:I'm still not sure, I thought they originally said the upper deck would be around 4k, which is where the 23k came from. At some point I remember it being changed to 6k, which would be 25k actual. Not sure if the actual plans changed or if I'm just remembering wrong.
I thought they changed it to 25K actual seats too.
The new upper deck has 7 big sections and 2 small sections.
So, if total number of seats is 6k, each section capacity is gonna be 750(I counted 2 small sections as 1 big section).

If it is 4k, then 500 seats for each section.

I think it makes sense the new upper deck is 6k.
https://woolpert.com/project/sports-arc ... niversity/

from the architects themselves:
Woolpert wrote:Liberty University—the largest private, nonprofit university in the United States—selected Woolpert to provide sports architecture services for its $30 million stadium improvement project. Williams Stadium is being renovated and expanded to support the school’s move to a more competitive football subdivision.

The stadium’s capacity will be expanded by roughly 8,500 seats, and renovations include a new concourse level, restrooms, concessions, a press box, a video board, utility rooms, camera platforms, perimeter road improvements and a new southern gateway entrance. Throughout this project, Woolpert is providing project management, architecture, landscape architecture, 3D laser scanning and construction administration services.
thepostman wrote:That would bring the seating to 27,700 but I think I remember some changes coming to the Baptist side as well that would remove seating but I'm not sure when that will be happening.
I thought that was coming after this upcoming season. The FOC is suppose to be worked on after this season too.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]