Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: November 21st, 2019, 10:16 pm Again, because you know better than Hugh Freeze.
As much as I like Coach Freeze, head coaches make decisions to win games. He is going to build a schedule to gain wins not position Liberty to be a P5 based on scheduling.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: November 21st, 2019, 10:16 pm Again, because you know better than Hugh Freeze.
This is a strange response. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but are fans never supposed to have their own thoughts simply because they're not the head coach?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Going 0-12 won’t help us build our program. Yes, playing Notre Dame in Lynchburg would be more appealing than New Mexico State. It ain’t going to happen. Losing to mediocre P5 teams in Lynchburg won’t do us any good either. There may come a day when we can schedule more frequent games against better teams. It won’t be for a LONG time.
By tyndal23
alabama24 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 10:24 pm Going 0-12 won’t help us build our program. Yes, playing Notre Dame in Lynchburg would be more appealing than New Mexico State. It ain’t going to happen. Losing to mediocre P5 teams in Lynchburg won’t do us any good either. There may come a day when we can schedule more frequent games against better teams. It won’t be for a LONG time.
Seriously? What would be your plan to make that day come as fast as possible?
By LUOrange
I like the idea of a P5 equivalent schedule, but I don't think it's practical right now. We'll have to prove our bonafides first, but even then, like in MBB, that will or may have a downside too As many teams may not want to risk losing to us because we're us and we're Independent. While, I want to continue to schedule at least up to 4 P5's a year, the reality is most of those will be road games. Many of those teams will also not want to come to our 25K stadium, and there's no sense in expanding until we can at least have 23-25K in attendance consistently. And that won't happen until we win consistently. Obviously, it all goes together, and to quote the great philosopher, Bob Wileym, "Baby steps."
Last edited by LUOrange on November 24th, 2019, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
The 2019 schedule could not have worked out any better. I think it was masterfully done.

Mickey has cooked up the perfect recipe. Id like to scrap all of our schedules in 2023 or so and move over to a conference. I like the flexibility of the independent, I also like the bowl tie in with ESPN, but I miss the conference standings and rivalries and stability of being in a conference.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote: November 24th, 2019, 9:30 amI miss the conference standings and rivalries and stability of being in a conference.
I didn't realize I'd miss this as much as I do. Around the time of the Rutgers game I had a big conversation with some friends about how much I miss following along with where everyone in the league is.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 10:47 pm Speaking of attendance, I heard there were lots of empty seats in Hooville today.
Ballcoach, check your calendar: both schools are on THANKSGIVING BREAK. :fineprint And you certainly weren't there to help the attendance numbers. :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 24th, 2019, 6:50 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 10:47 pm Speaking of attendance, I heard there were lots of empty seats in Hooville today.
Ballcoach, check your calendar: both schools are on THANKSGIVING BREAK. :fineprint And you certainly weren't there to help the attendance numbers. :oldhag
And weather was crappy
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: November 24th, 2019, 7:05 pm
And weather was crappy
They also had MBB at home at the same time. So crappy weather vs us or indoors with their defending Champs? If I'm a big wahoo, it's a no brainer.
By LUOrange
Kricket wrote: November 24th, 2019, 9:37 am Would you take C USA if offered?
AAC, higher, or bust.

I'd actually consider CUSA but nowhere near what we offered to give them. A big negative on the Sun Belt. And strong consideration on the pipe dream of a new regional G5 conference that gets fantasized about on CSNBBS.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: November 24th, 2019, 10:03 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 24th, 2019, 7:05 pm
And weather was crappy
They also had MBB at home at the same time. So crappy weather vs us or indoors with their defending Champs? If I'm a big wahoo, it's a no brainer.
I believe the boo hoo basketball team was playing in Connecticut.

I don't care to be near Scott Stadium.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
ODU , Marshall , Charlotte as away games in all sports ?

Absolutely.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: November 26th, 2019, 7:20 am
ODU , Marshall , Charlotte as away games in all sports ?

Absolutely.
I think that's reasonable. It certainly would help all sports. I think a few more years of NCAA tournament appearances and a few bowl games and we just may have that option.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 10:37 pm
alabama24 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 10:24 pm Going 0-12 won’t help us build our program. Yes, playing Notre Dame in Lynchburg would be more appealing than New Mexico State. It ain’t going to happen. Losing to mediocre P5 teams in Lynchburg won’t do us any good either. There may come a day when we can schedule more frequent games against better teams. It won’t be for a LONG time.
Seriously? What would be your plan to make that day come as fast as possible?
1. Win games
2. Keep a coach which fits our culture, knows how to coach, build a team and can out recruit the other guys.
3. Get into a good conference
By sstaedtler
First and foremost, I would want the AAC. I'm near Temple, so one out of every 2 years I could see Liberty there. Good conference with teams like Memphis and Cincy. Also not too far from Navy. As for Conference USA, don't love it, but I would probably take it. I have no desire to be in the Sun Belt. I can see App. State leaving eventually which would make it worse. The Sun Belt is never on TV near me in PA. I see the AAC most, and then I do seem some Conference USA.

If we keep winning games as an Independent, and continue to do well in other sports like basketball, baseball, softball, etc...we will force a conferences hand. 2023 would be a good time to move. I love our schedule in 2022 but don't love it in 2023.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'd jump at the thought of joining the AAC. Now that our men's BBall team is playing at a high level we become a bit more appealing but I still doubt we get an invite. But I would love it. I still have 3.5 years left in Anne Arundel County, Maryland so being able to catch Liberty play Navy just down the road from me would be fantastic!

I doubt it happens but it is certainly a dream type scenario for me.
Kricket liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?!

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: