Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
The most impressive thing about this process has been how Ian developed a plan and stuck to it. These schedules are exactly what we needed .
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
A Sea of Red wrote:13 additional games announced

http://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-announ ... all-games/
Love the Southern Miss home and home! That's often been a solid program.
I think we're all excited for 18/19, but take a look at 2020. That's a FANTASTIC schedule of 1-2 winnable P5 games and winnable g5 games.
Plus, if we get 6 home games, that's 8 in state games. 4 ACC games in 1 year (!!!!!!)
VT, UVA, NCSU, Syr, BG, SoMiss, Umass. I don't care if we don't have a bowl tie in. If we went 6-6 and then beat 2-3 of those teams listed, we're going bowling.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU has finally scheduled a home game with a National Champion!

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:The most impressive thing about this process has been how Ian developed a plan and stuck to it. These schedules are exactly what we needed .
It's amazing what being competent and having autonomy can do
By Class of 20Something
Goto FBS Schedules and compare Liberty's 5-12 year range to every other independent. UMass doesn't have a single game scheduled past 2023 while Liberty has 14 already and has been scheduling for 6 months.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Most everything I have predicted in past 6 months is becoming a reality.
In ballcoach we trust!
:fineprint :bowdown :clapping
By LUalumfromnc
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:LU has finally scheduled a home game with a National Champion!

We have played a ton of FCS national champions already. Marshall's 2 national championships are also both FCS.

We still need a home game for 2019 because 5 FBS home games are required from the 2019 season onwards.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I am very excited with how things are shaping up... with one exception. Where are the home games? We do have some big games on the schedule, but will we be playing mostly FCS teams at home, in games which haven't been announced yet?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:I am very excited with how things are shaping up... with one exception. Where are the home games? We do have some big games on the schedule, but will we be playing mostly FCS teams at home, in games which haven't been announced yet?
I really don't know where you get that. From 2019 on we will be playing 5 FBS home games a year as required to maintain our FBS indy status, along with 1 or 2 FCS opponents.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Awesome schedules. I love that we are scheduling so far in advance. My wife now knows when we will be in Lynchburg through 2030! I hope we announce a multiple game series with BYU though. That would be the one that I would still like to see.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Anyone else see this tweet from FBSchedules?

"Liberty will receive $0 for trip to Marshall in 2023. Marshall will receive $500,000 guarantee for game at Liberty in 2024 (per MU release)."

:dontgetit
By Class of 20Something
Liberty22 wrote:Anyone else see this tweet from FBSchedules?

"Liberty will receive $0 for trip to Marshall in 2023. Marshall will receive $500,000 guarantee for game at Liberty in 2024 (per MU release)."

Exposure and marketing? I've got nothing.

It seems every contract is negotiated in a vacuum. No other prior contracts have any influence on how each contract is drawn up. I expected it to be far more routine patterns.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Great scheduling, now the coaching staff needs to recruit, execute, play and coach at the same level of competence. It isn't going to do us any good to have first class schedules and not win some of these games. Right now, I don't see us winning many, if any, at all. I know we still have a FCS roster, we are going to have to improve extremely fast to be competitive.
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:Great scheduling, now the coaching staff needs to recruit, execute, play and coach at the same level of competence. It isn't going to do us any good to have first class schedules and not win some of these games. Right now, I don't see us winning many, if any, at all. I know we still have a FCS roster, we are going to have to improve extremely fast to be competitive.
That might mean that some people will have to step down from some positions, as we have discussed several times before. Games plus amazing facilities are great, but most importantly a prospect want to play for a notable and successful coach/coordinators. Right now we are on the level of mediocrity when it comes to that category.

I'm hoping it's not Briles. The reason(s) are already known.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:Anyone else see this tweet from FBSchedules?

Exposure and marketing? I've got nothing.

It seems every contract is negotiated in a vacuum. No other prior contracts have any influence on how each contract is drawn up. I expected it to be far more routine patterns.
This is the dimension LU brings to the FBS Independent scene no one else does. LU is obviously not afraid to buy its way to anything. I wager it will be the first school to PAY to get invited to a Bowl game
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
alabama24 wrote:I am very excited with how things are shaping up... with one exception. Where are the home games? We do have some big games on the schedule, but will we be playing mostly FCS teams at home, in games which haven't been announced yet?
I really don't know where you get that. From 2019 on we will be playing 5 FBS home games a year as required to maintain our FBS indy status, along with 1 or 2 FCS opponents.
I looked at it again and it wasn't as bleak... but look at 2020. More generally: we keep hearing of 2:1 type deals, and a few 1:1 deals. When/where do we pick up extra home games?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
oldflame wrote:
I looked at it again and it wasn't as bleak... but look at 2020. More generally: we keep hearing of 2:1 type deals, and a few 1:1 deals. When/where do we pick up extra home games?
Because of the 2 for 1 deals we have had to make, there is no question we will be paying for some home games, at least for the next few years. There are quite a few G5 teams who are financially strapped, and we will no doubt still play one FCS opponent every year. I'm not worried. If I were the AD at UMass I would be worried.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I had the same question bama24. It was explained to me that we have to make up an 8 home game deficit over the next 12 seasons. Seems pretty easy with 1-2 FCS home games per season. We will likely be playing some BigSouth schools regularly at home to make up the deficit. I would like to see Gardner Webb, and Campbell. They fit the regional scheduling philosophy, and should be guarantee games going forward. I was at the overtime home game against GW last year.
By Class of 20Something
@oldflame

Yeah, we have the finances to run circles around the other Indy schools. We are going to snatch up everything in existence.

@R i

We are required to have 5 FBS home games every year after 2018. Unless you think we schedule 7 home games a season, it will be only one FCS game a year from here on out.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
The 5 FBS home game requirement could actually be 4 FBS + 1 FCS. Teams are allowed to count 1 FCS home game toward their 5 FBS home game requirement per year. So, in theory, Liberty could have 4 FBS home games + 1 FCS home gane for the 5 FBS home game requirement, and then add another FCS game for a total of 6 home games.

Hopefully that makes sense.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
We could also be holding back on announcing some of our home games that we have paid for until we have them all signed. Maybe we will have some 2-1's that are tilted toward us as well. Nothing to back it up, just spitballing.
By willflop
I was curious about the math on the 2-1s a well. Here's a hypothetical breakout. As long as a single year doesn't have more than 3 games (that are part of a 2-1 deal), you only have to buy one game. And, of course, you get the sequencing right, which there are a lot of ways to spin it.

By Class of 20Something
jcmanson wrote:The 5 FBS home game requirement could actually be 4 FBS + 1 FCS. Teams are allowed to count 1 FCS home game toward their 5 FBS home game requirement per year. So, in theory, Liberty could have 4 FBS home games + 1 FCS home gane for the 5 FBS home game requirement, and then add another FCS game for a total of 6 home games.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I totally forgot about that silly part of the rules. I still think we limit it to just one FCS. Doing bare minimum isn't in McCaw's scheduling MO.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:I was curious about the math on the 2-1s a well. Here's a hypothetical breakout. As long as a single year doesn't have more than 3 games (that are part of a 2-1 deal), you only have to buy one game. And, of course, you get the sequencing right, which there are a lot of ways to spin it.

As much as I want to understand this graph, I do not. Can you explain ?
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]