Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By sstaedtler
Notre Dame, UCLA, and USC do not play FCS teams. I think us being an Independent like Notre Dame, we cannot afford to play FCS teams at home every year, especially when we have a weak home schedule like in 2023. Since we aren't in a conference, we can't afford the luxury of playing an FCS team like everyone else can. It's bad for the home fans and bad for our overall schedule. I understand it to start out, but I am hoping in 2023 and beyond we try to work without it.
LUOrange liked this
By Ewglenn
sstaedtler wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:13 pm Notre Dame, UCLA, and USC do not play FCS teams. I think us being an Independent like Notre Dame, we cannot afford to play FCS teams at home every year, especially when we have a weak home schedule like in 2023. Since we aren't in a conference, we can't afford the luxury of playing an FCS team like everyone else can. It's bad for the home fans and bad for our overall schedule. I understand it to start out, but I am hoping in 2023 and beyond we try to work without it.
Not going to happen it’s counts towards bowl eligibility so we will keep playing them.
By Ill flame
sstaedtler wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:13 pm Notre Dame, UCLA, and USC do not play FCS teams. I think us being an Independent like Notre Dame, we cannot afford to play FCS teams at home every year, especially when we have a weak home schedule like in 2023. Since we aren't in a conference, we can't afford the luxury of playing an FCS team like everyone else can. It's bad for the home fans and bad for our overall schedule. I understand it to start out, but I am hoping in 2023 and beyond we try to work without it.
Playing 1 local fcs team provides too many positives to get rid of them. At this point we need that automatic win to get us to 6. We are also struggling to get games (especially home games) later in the season when everyone is playing conference games. Plus it doesn't really hurt us in any way to play those games, all but the 3 teams listed play them and we will never be those teams.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:44 pm
Playing 1 local fcs team provides too many positives to get rid of them. At this point we need that automatic win to get us to 6. We are also struggling to get games (especially home games) later in the season when everyone is playing conference games. Plus it doesn't really hurt us in any way to play those games, all but the 3 teams listed play them and we will never be those teams.
Correct - if the goal is just win and be bowl eligible - definitely need the FCS game. LU doesn’t need the $ from a bigger or even sellout home crowd, which still hasn’t happened even with a top 25 P5 team visiting. No one cares about SOS at G5 level so schedule as light as possible - long term - heck even short term, people only reference W-L records.
By LUOrange
All D-1/FBS is the way to go in football and MBB, IMO. I understand the arguments for both and it's , more understandably to play 1 FCS team in football than non-D-1's in MBB, also IMO. But if we're ever going to garner any respect as an Independent and a low-major in MBB, we can't afford to cut corners in scheduling. Also, as were trying to build our home fan base, it's hard for fans to get excited about football games vs. Hampton and MBB vs. Trinity Baptist. But again, just IMO.
Last edited by LUOrange on February 21st, 2020, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tyndal23
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:55 am Not everything is about the fans’ excitement.
Precisely - it is way more important to qualify and get a G5 coach that extra win per year so he can leverage that for a P5 job, plus the school gets that early December bowl game with the “huge payout ” I.e “net loss” pat on the back win once every 3-4 years as the coaching staff shuffles back and forth in the G5 irrelevancy....
LUOrange, Liberty22 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 21st, 2020, 4:43 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:55 am Not everything is about the fans’ excitement.
Precisely - it is way more important to qualify and get a G5 coach that extra win per year so he can leverage that for a P5 job, plus the school gets that early December bowl game with the “huge payout ” I.e “net loss” pat on the back win once every 3-4 years as the coaching staff shuffles back and forth in the G5 irrelevancy....
The sarcasm is strong with this one.
Liberty22 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU is not an Independent like Notre Dame
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
USC plays UCLA every year. 8) :D
LUOrange liked this
By sstaedtler
The 2023 schedule is awful if you are a season ticket holder. Here are the home games that year:

Bowling Green, E. Michigan, Old Dominion, FCS School, UMass, and UConn. I desperately hope some game here gets moved to a later year.
chris leedlelee liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You guys must have loved big south football. Or you would love sunbelt and mac football. With what we are its all good. Now 5 years down the road hopefully weve grown beyond it but to act like we deserve or could handle some p5 loaded schedule is weird to me.
SumItUp, alabama24 liked this
By sstaedtler
The 2023 schedule is not the end of the world . It's just that that year we play two G5's and no major independents. And the home schedule is extremely weak. I'd still rather have it over FCS by a mile. There's no game early in the year to get excited about at all. I would love to move E. Michigan to a future year and get another G5 early. Or even a good AAC school.
By chris leedlelee
Don't hate on the 2023 schedule too much. Old Dominion is an in-state rivalry that will create a lot of local buzz, and UConn was a member of the top G5 conference only a year ago. While the reality is that there isn't a big headliner home game, our schedule is still leaps and bounds better than the FCS days.
rtb72 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I’m absolutely not jonesing for the Big South. My point is more that playing bad teams - or teams that don’t move the needle - is more palatable when there are stakes like a conference championship on the line. When it’s no name teams for a chance to go to the Myrtle Beach Bowl, it’s just not as captivating.

With independent football we will have years of great home schedules and terrible home schedules. It’s the nature of having to fill 12 games each year. 2023 just happens to be one of the bad ones.
By LUOrange
The 2023 schedule could be better, but it's not bad. W do have driveable games at UVA, South Carolina, and the Beach Chickens. I do wish we were playing another FBS team at home, even another G5, instead of ETSU. But still no real complaints from me.
By CCWMichael
The big question is did we have to pay to get out of FIU? Was Uconn desperate enough for games they bought out FIU?
Maybe FIU just did not care about the termination of the game? Or, is there another answer? This would be good to know how our athletic department is handling our boosting.
chris leedlelee liked this
New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]