Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:55 pm
sstaedtler wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 2:26 pm I'd rate the future schedules:

2020: B-
2021: B-
2022: A
2023: C-
2024: B-
2025: B
2026: B+
This is another hard part about being independent. It's feast or famine a lot of years with our schedule.

The pre-Thanksgiving week home schedule for 2021 is bleh at best. You get ODU in there and hopefully they're good by then. Army is incredible and Louisiana is really solid, but they're both without students so it takes away from the atmosphere.

2022 is great with BYU and VT. Hopefully students stay for that VT game. UAB is a really solid home opener.

2023 doesn't have a single attractive home game at this point.

2024 has Coastal and Marshall. Hopefully we can fill at least one other good game in October/early November.

Scheduling six solid to good home games each years is really tough, and without the benefit of a conference championship to make okay games feel more important, it's hard to get excited about some of those games.
By 2024, the rivalry with Coastal isn't going to matter to anyone but us and the people on coastalfans.com. Indeed, I doubt any of our current students know/care about it now.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:53 pm Top 5 teams you want Liberty to start a home-and-home football series with

https://www.aseaofred.com/top-5-teams-y ... ries-with/
Teams I would like to see not on this list:
Clemson (about as far away as Marshall, Maryland once you factor in traffic, and ECU are)
Air Force (another military school)
Boise State
TCU
SMU
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:40 am They might have worst fans in college football. At least their message board fans are.
Why? Because some of them have a bias against Liberty which is largely based on ignorance/misinformation? How does that make them bad fans? App. State has a huge, dedicated, passionate fan base. They pack the stadium at home and also travel well. They are entitled to their opinions, just as you are. You express hatred for certain teams on a regular basis, with no more real justification than those App fans have for not liking Liberty. I guess you are a "worst fan" too then.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@ballcoach15 if that hurts your feelings then maybe you should avoid ever going to any fan board when they discuss us. Our politics will always be a topic of discussion. It doesn't indicate that they are bad fans. Especially App State fans. There is no reason a school in rural North Carolina should have the kind of fan support that they do but somehow they pull it off.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:40 am They might have worst fans in college football. At least their message board fans are.
What’s your definition of “worst fans”?
They show up and in great numbers. Which should be impossible by your own metric since that school is impossible to get to. That should prove they are probably pretty good fans
phoenix liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Their fans are just mad because we beat them. If they had beat us, they would have a better attitude towards Liberty.
A school in rural NC should have same political views as LU.
By chris leedlelee
To be fair to Ballcoach, App State fans are pretty nasty towards Liberty in a way that you wouldn't expect from a school in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Boonesboro isn't exactly Portland or Charlottesville.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:07 pm To be fair to Ballcoach, App State fans are pretty nasty towards Liberty in a way that you wouldn't expect from a school in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Boonesboro isn't exactly Portland or Charlottesville.
I disagree. Mountain towns like that are hyper liberal. Because big city folks go there to retire. Boone and Asheville are very similar in that regard
chris leedlelee, LUOrange, JK37 and 2 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:35 pm Anyone who doesn't like LU is either a liberal, or someone whose elevator doesn't go to top floor.
There’s the ignorant statements we’ve come to know and love
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I mean take that as it may but how does that make them bad fans? There are plenty of VT fans not exactly pleased about the fact Tech is going to Lynchburg for a game for the same exact reason. I guess all tech fans are bad fans too. See what I did there??
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:09 pm
chris leedlelee wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:07 pm To be fair to Ballcoach, App State fans are pretty nasty towards Liberty in a way that you wouldn't expect from a school in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Boonesboro isn't exactly Portland or Charlottesville.
I disagree. Mountain towns like that are hyper liberal. Because big city folks go there to retire. Boone and Asheville are very similar in that regard
To your point, a ton of Floridians, who are, in turn, yankee transplants, have winter homes in NC mountains.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 4:39 pm I have never heard a VT fan bad mouth LU.
Because you live in an old man echo chamber.

If the ten FBS programs in the Carolinas, App’s fan base is arguably top four. Most live at least 90 minutes from Boone and they average 25k every single week.
PAmedic liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 4:39 pm I have never heard a VT fan bad mouth LU.
My entire set of in-laws are from Lynchburg but all graduated from Tech and I can’t tell you how many awkward arguments I’ve gotten into with them because bad mouthing liberty is a sport to them. For the record they’re all evangelical Christians too.
By chris leedlelee
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 25th, 2020, 4:58 pm If the ten FBS programs in the Carolinas, App’s fan base is arguably top four. Most live at least 90 minutes from Boone and they average 25k every single week.
Unrelated, but if we could get a similar local fan culture to App State, it would do wonders for our program status. A few more years of large classes graduating might do the trick (And Jerry biting his tongue with his tweets). Our LU Serve program is definitely a good outreach and a good step to connecting with the local Lynchburg community.
By sstaedtler
Schools in the Northeast seem to badmouth LU a little more. Heard some of it at Rutgers and a lot of it at Syracuse. I really want to beat Syracuse at least 1 of the next 2 years.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Basing this purely on social media and message board chatter, I haven't noticed much of difference between southern and northern schools in regards to how they talk about Liberty and their politics.
By Ill flame
thepostman wrote: January 26th, 2020, 10:48 pm Basing this purely on social media and message board chatter, I haven't noticed much of difference between southern and northern schools in regards to how they talk about Liberty and their politics.
It's really interesting how major universities are almost always liberal even when they are in very conservative areas. Where do these people come from?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]