Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:53 pm Top 5 teams you want Liberty to start a home-and-home football series with

https://www.aseaofred.com/top-5-teams-y ... ries-with/
I love lists cause they are great debate starters. Yours is awful but I guess that’s by design :D

Navy is a solid choice.
But Maryland? NC State? UCF? I mean are you guys drug tested?

BYU should be a no brainer. But you were obviously smoking that there whacky tobacky
The Junior College of West Virginia would be a nice game. As would the Varsity squad in Morgantown
Army. Cause ‘Merica
ODU.
Appy St

I really hope that you all get help with your drug habit. It starts with those gateway drugs and eventually leads to things like dancing and premarital kissing
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Cal
Kansas
Vanderbilt
Boston College
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Rutgers
Missouri
TCU
Oregon State
Washington State
Arizona
Anyone in P5 and no one in G5 ( we have weak enough games from Independent we have to play every year ).
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:51 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:53 pm Top 5 teams you want Liberty to start a home-and-home football series with

I love lists cause they are great debate starters. Yours is awful but I guess that’s by design :D

Navy is a solid choice.

BYU should be a no brainer. But you were obviously smoking that there whacky tobacky
The Junior College of West Virginia would be a nice game. As would the Varsity squad in Morgantown
Army. Cause ‘Merica
ODU.
Appy St

I really hope that you all get help with your drug habit. It starts with those gateway drugs and eventually leads to things like dancing and premarital kissing
They stated they weren't including teams already on the schedule. Every team you listed already has a home and home in the future.

Maybe you're taking your own drugs?
By Jonathan Carone
sstaedtler wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 2:26 pm I'd rate the future schedules:

2020: B-
2021: B-
2022: A
2023: C-
2024: B-
2025: B
2026: B+
This is another hard part about being independent. It's feast or famine a lot of years with our schedule.

The pre-Thanksgiving week home schedule for 2021 is bleh at best. You get ODU in there and hopefully they're good by then. Army is incredible and Louisiana is really solid, but they're both without students so it takes away from the atmosphere.

2022 is great with BYU and VT. Hopefully students stay for that VT game. UAB is a really solid home opener.

2023 doesn't have a single attractive home game at this point.

2024 has Coastal and Marshall. Hopefully we can fill at least one other good game in October/early November.

Scheduling six solid to good home games each years is really tough, and without the benefit of a conference championship to make okay games feel more important, it's hard to get excited about some of those games.
Purple Haize liked this
By Class of 20Something
I think we need to recognize the reality that without a P5 brand supporting us, scheduling could get really hard. Let's say HCHF is a lifer. By 2024 the last year of us not hosting a P5 school, we are winning 10 games a year regularly. What is our 7 year scheduling strategy going to look like then? We can want to play anybody, but they have to sign the contract too.

Why does App St have trouble scheduling?

Anyone else notice it?

No FBS history or future with Duke(none), NCSU(2006), Virginia(none), Virginia Tech(2011), West Virginia(none), or Kentucky(none). Parentheses was date of most recent matchup.

Maybe being good prevents teams from scheduling you.
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
Class of 20Something wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:57 pm I think we need to recognize the reality that without a P5 brand supporting us, scheduling could get really hard. Let's say HCHF is a lifer. By 2024 the last year of us not hosting a P5 school, we are winning 10 games a year regularly. What is our 7 year scheduling strategy going to look like then? We can want to play anybody, but they have to sign the contract too.

Anyone else notice it?

No FBS history or future with Duke(none), NCSU(2006), Virginia(none), Virginia Tech(2011), West Virginia(none), or Kentucky(none). Parentheses was date of most recent matchup.

This is another big reason the “ Just win “ crowd on here balking at pushing for P5 schedule - once u are a good G5 too much risk to lose and no upside for them to schedule us. Not too big a deal for a team that has a conference - much bigger issue for an Independent.
By Ill flame
This is why the aac would be the perfect fit for us moving forward. Alot of attractive games to be had in that conference. Even if we don't have a p5 team visit us every year fans would have a good reason to show up.
sstaedtler, Ewglenn liked this
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:26 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:57 pm I think we need to recognize the reality that without a P5 brand supporting us, scheduling could get really hard. Let's say HCHF is a lifer. By 2024 the last year of us not hosting a P5 school, we are winning 10 games a year regularly. What is our 7 year scheduling strategy going to look like then? We can want to play anybody, but they have to sign the contract too.

Anyone else notice it?

This is another big reason the “ Just win “ crowd on here balking at pushing for P5 schedule - once u are a good G5 too much risk to lose and no upside for them to schedule us. Not too big a deal for a team that has a conference - much bigger issue for an Independent.
I think you lost your sentence somewhere in there. But if that post was directed at anyone, it was actually you. You notice that I only includes P5 schools there. App St can schedule ECU, Marshall, ODU, and Charlotte. But we have been able to schedule four regional P5 that they haven't because of their success.

Without the conference backing of being a bona fide P5 the chances of ever getting past four scheduled in a season are slim to none, especially if we start beating them.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:50 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:51 pm

Navy is a solid choice.

Army. Cause ‘Merica
ODU.
Appy St

They stated they weren't including teams already on the schedule. Every team you listed already has a home and home in the future.

Maybe you're taking your own drugs?
Did you expect me to actually READ the article? Pfft. Maybe you have too high of an opinion of the drugs YOU are on :D
Plus, that type of criteria just screams “I need help!” If you have something good, why throw it away? Drugs, that’s why! They take what is good in your life and substitute something fake in its stead. At least that’s what @Class of 20Something told me when he was getting clean

I like my list. I stand by it. All other lists are inferior
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:37 am

Anyone else notice it?

I think you lost your sentence somewhere in there. But if that post was directed at anyone, it was actually you. You notice that I only includes P5 schools there. App St can schedule ECU, Marshall, ODU, and Charlotte. But we have been able to schedule four regional P5 that they haven't because of their success.

Without the conference backing of being a bona fide P5 the chances of ever getting past four scheduled in a season are slim to none, especially if we start beating them.
Yeah, he just kind of made an argument against his own position :dontgetit
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:09 am
Did you expect me to actually READ the article? Pfft. Maybe you have too high of an opinion of the drugs YOU are on :D
Plus, that type of criteria just screams “I need help!” If you have something good, why throw it away? Drugs, that’s why! They take what is good in your life and substitute something fake in its stead. At least that’s what @Class of 20Something told me when he was getting clean

I like my list. I stand by it. All other lists are inferior
That was discussed in confidence. Sometimes getting clean just means changing suppliers to someone that makes their product in a controlled facility.

Meth is legal if it's made by the right people.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Did you expect me to actually READ the article?
Remember that Purple is a WVU alum. They prefer YouTube videos instead of reading. :typing
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:05 am
Did you expect me to actually READ the article?
Remember that Purple is a WVU alum. They prefer YouTube videos instead of reading. :typing
Pictures are also helpful
By tyndal23

Anyone else notice it?

Yep - all the reason to announce and schedule it as soon as possible before we get stuck in that position.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:12 am

Yeah, he just kind of made an argument against his own position :dontgetit
Seriously? How so. U guys want to be a top G5 team first - I am stating no need to be and actually will make it harder and take longer to be P5 equivalent going that route. Again - VA and Carolina schools have no built in out of conference annual P5 foes like Fl (FSU), GA ( G tech),Clemson(USC) FSU( Florida ). They have a ton of G5 to pull from - LU bring P5 equivalent is a major benefit for them - look at a map.
By Ill flame
I'm not sure how we are supposed to schedule 8+ p5 games a year now or in the future to become p5 equivalent. we would have to start scheduling home and homes with more p5 teams and that's just not happening anytime soon. I still like how our future schedules look though.
chris leedlelee liked this
By chris leedlelee
Ill flame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:37 pm I'm not sure how we are supposed to schedule 8+ p5 games a year now or in the future to become p5 equivalent. we would have to start scheduling home and homes with more p5 teams and that's just not happening anytime soon. I still like how our future schedules look though.
Nothing wrong with getting 2 for 1's with Power5 teams. We've already been lucky to get a good amount with local ACC schools. Although I know that it is limited to how many can be scheduled, location matters a lot less than giving us a better Strength of Schedule for each season. Having a better SoS than most Go5 teams will help establish us as one of the best teams in the Go5. If that is the only way to put P5's on our schedule for the time being, then so be it.
By tyndal23
chris leedlelee wrote: January 24th, 2020, 5:57 pm
Ill flame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:37 pm I'm not sure how we are supposed to schedule 8+ p5 games a year now or in the future to become p5 equivalent. we would have to start scheduling home and homes with more p5 teams and that's just not happening anytime soon. I still like how our future schedules look though.
Nothing wrong with getting 2 for 1's with Power5 teams. We've already been lucky to get a good amount with local ACC schools. Although I know that it is limited to how many can be scheduled, location matters a lot less than giving us a better Strength of Schedule for each season. Having a better SoS than most Go5 teams will help establish us as one of the best teams in the Go5. If that is the only way to put P5's on our schedule for the time being, then so be it.
I have old posts on how and who - 5 home games and 7 away and $ against bottom 1/3 of every P5 team. Anyone arguing the need for 6 home games - remember, we can’t put 4K in the stands either side of thanksgiving week
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You can only have so many 2-1’s though. Eventually the math works against you. And you can get bought out
At some point you need home games. People buy season tickets for home games
Ill flame liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: January 24th, 2020, 8:01 pm
You can only have so many 2-1’s though. Eventually the math works against you. And you can get bought out
This is the point I was trying to get at. I think 2-1's are great for where we are as a program but to be truly "p5 equivalent" you need 1-1's.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 8:09 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 24th, 2020, 8:01 pm

This is the point I was trying to get at. I think 2-1's are great for where we are as a program but to be truly "p5 equivalent" you need 1-1's.
P5 or G5 doesn’t matter. The math won’t add up

I think the online strategy has proven to have[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]