Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:This season is a bust with anything less than 8-3. Added scholarships, an extremely soft schedule and a veteran qb should make 8-3 the standard. That's losing the two hard games and giving y'all one to drop to a lesser team. Imo with the move to fbs Gill would need to do that or he should go.
I assume the "2 hard games" you refer to are Baylor and Jacksonville State. I do believe that even on the road we can certainly give the Gamecocks a tougher game than last time. Their All-America QB is now in the NFL, and hopefully our OL will be healthy/improved and won't be dominated again. Any game against a MVFC opponent is tough, but at least this year we have Indiana St. at the Bill. I would expect our toughest conference opponent to be Kennesaw St. I would be OK with 8-3 as well. Anything less than 7-4 should spell the end of the TG era IMHO.
By Ewglenn
oldflame wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:This season is a bust with anything less than 8-3. Added scholarships, an extremely soft schedule and a veteran qb should make 8-3 the standard. That's losing the two hard games and giving y'all one to drop to a lesser team. Imo with the move to fbs Gill would need to do that or he should go.
I assume the "2 hard games" you refer to are Baylor and Jacksonville State. I do believe that even on the road we can certainly give the Gamecocks a tougher game than last time. Their All-America QB is now in the NFL, and hopefully our OL will be healthy/improved and won't be dominated again. Any game against a MVFC opponent is tough, but at least this year we have Indiana St. at the Bill. I would expect our toughest conference opponent to be Kennesaw St. I would be OK with 8-3 as well. Anything less than 7-4 should spell the end of the TG era IMHO.
Yes I was referring to Baylor and Jacksonville State. I think y'all could pull the upset in either one of those but expect a loss. Indiana State will be trying to find themselves and the Big South will have KSU and CSU being decent. I fully expect 8-3. 7-4 might buy Gill one more year. On a side note about CSU they should be able to recruit well. They've made a name in SC as the school where good athletes with subpar grades end up going. If they had a half way decent football stadium, similar to PC or Gardner Webb, they could own the Big South with y'all and Coastal out of the way.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Yes I was referring to Baylor and Jacksonville State. I think y'all could pull the upset in either one of those but expect a loss. Indiana State will be trying to find themselves and the Big South will have KSU and CSU being decent. I fully expect 8-3. 7-4 might buy Gill one more year. On a side note about CSU they should be able to recruit well. They've made a name in SC as the school where good athletes with subpar grades end up going. If they had a half way decent football stadium, similar to PC or Gardner Webb, they could own the Big South with y'all and Coastal out of the way.
I think you are spot on regarding CSU's reputation among football recruits. Chadwell, along with Willie Korn and the rest of his staff worked tirelessly (and shamelessly) to cultivate it. I'm not sure if their replacements will be as dynamic (or as shameless).
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any less than 9 wins and Gill will be gone. With our schedule we should be pretty much favored in 9 games. I think the bar has to be raised and our new AD won't hesitate to raise it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:How are our season ticket sales going for this season?
I wouldn't be surprised if they were record setting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Has there ever been a year when they were not?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Has there ever been a year when they were not?
What 'they' say and what actually happens can be 2 different things. This year I imagine statements and reality will be the same
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Everyone in the Big South is going to want to send us out on a loss; we can't give them the privilege. 8-3 is the worst we should do.
By Ewglenn
Yes I was referring to Baylor and Jacksonville State. I think y'all could pull the upset in either one of those but expect a loss. Indiana State will be trying to find themselves and the Big South will have KSU and CSU being decent. I fully expect 8-3. 7-4 might buy Gill one more year. On a side note about CSU they should be able to recruit well. They've made a name in SC as the school where good athletes with subpar grades end up going. If they had a half way decent football stadium, similar to PC or Gardner Webb, they could own the Big South with y'all and Coastal out of the way.[/quote]

I think you are spot on regarding CSU's reputation among football recruits. Chadwell, along with Willie Korn and the rest of his staff worked tirelessly (and shamelessly) to cultivate it. I'm not sure if their replacements will be as dynamic (or as shameless).[/quote]

They probably won't be. When I was in high school CSU was an after thought. Newberry College was the school in SC that would take in all of those players. Now days it's shifted to CSU. I doubt it will go back because FCS is much better than D2. I know CSU is supposed to be expanding their stadium to 5+k permanent seating which will help a lot.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Per this tweet from Kyle DeArmon, there are 2 or more QBs from Florida on campus.

Besides Lynum, process of elimination points to Riley Smith, the 6'4" 3 star who has 7 Ivy League offers.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Nice discussion, guys. Any of you making that trip to Waco?
Yes, I'm planning on making the trip.
By Dirty 30
I am going Sly Fox. Looking at flights and hotels now. Anyone have recommendations for Flights and hotels in Waco? Thanks
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:
I am going Sly Fox. Looking at flights and hotels now. Anyone have recommendations for Flights and hotels in Waco? Thanks
Click Here
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The problem being only 4 are the ones that play all the downs. KSU and Monmouth at least , according to this, have more talent on the offensive and defensive side. This does not factor in the play of any incoming recruits or transfers. It would have been curious where we would have been picked in the preseason poll. Nevertheless we are FBS bound :football :pbjtime
By Class of 20Something
Chippy wrote:The problem being only 4 are the ones that play all the downs. KSU and Monmouth at least , according to this, have more talent on the offensive and defensive side. This does not factor in the play of any incoming recruits or transfers. It would have been curious where we would have been picked in the preseason poll. Nevertheless we are FBS bound :football :pbjtime
The BS is a unique conference that lets each school get one or two playmakers. We all know we don't have much of an OLine. And Duff still landed on the all conference team. Mosley and Hickson made it. McGinty and Calvert are the only snubs IMO. But the BS is small potatoes. Seeing the BS rankings of 5 teams is really sad. I doubt that CSU or KSU have the BS in their 5 year plan. That conference is on the verge of collapse.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]