Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:This season feels like a trap.
Thank you Gen Akbar :mrgreen:
By LUDad
BJWilliams wrote:Baylor is gonna want to make a statement in a big way after all the football program has been through. I would not be surprised if we got our worst loss since 05 in this game.

For me my top 5 concerns (in no particular order) coming into the season are:
RB
OL
DB
DL
TE
You didn't mention QB. Calvert struggled significantly the last half of the season last year. Chalk that up to lack of protection if you will. However, I came up to watch a BB game and took in the Spring "game" and many of Calvert's passes were way off the mark despite not having game pressure. On the other hand 2nd QB was dropping every ball into the receiver's basket.

Seems to me he keep throwing off his back foot even when he doesn't have too.
By Ewglenn
VAGolf wrote:Great job!

I think this is actually one of our tougher games. They were 4-7 last year with a first year coach and a young squad. Three of their seven losses were by 7 combined points. Their other losses were to Minnesota, Missouri State, Northern Iowa and North Dakota State. Point being, this a better team than most of us realize.

They start off with Eastern Illinois and Tennessee, before making the trip here. So, we're likely facing a talented 0-2 squad, the week before we visit Jacksonville State. Feels like a trap game.
This is definitely a game that will be interesting to watch. I think y'all should win it but that conference is a brutal one at the FCS level. Looking ahead to bigger games could make this too close for comfort.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Great job!

I think this is actually one of our tougher games. They were 4-7 last year with a first year coach and a young squad. Three of their seven losses were by 7 combined points. Their other losses were to Minnesota, Missouri State, Northern Iowa and North Dakota State. Point being, this a better team than most of us realize.

They start off with Eastern Illinois and Tennessee, before making the trip here. So, we're likely facing a talented 0-2 squad, the week before we visit Jacksonville State. Feels like a trap game.
Actually this will be the first season with their new coach. He was hired in January of this year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
QB is something to watch but I think Calvert is safe heading into the fall. Unless Cunningham really outplays him IN THE EYES OF THE COACHES (have to make that distinction) come August, it'll be his job to lose for the Baylor game
Last edited by BJWilliams on June 22nd, 2017, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:QB is something to watch but I think Calvert is safe heading into the fall. Unless Cunningham really outplays him IN THE EYES OF THE COACHES (have to make that distinction) come August, it'll be his job to lose for the Baylor fame
I think this is a safe assumption. It will be interesting to watch as our recruiting talent rises over the next few years as well. We all knew Buckshot would take the helm from Masha as soon as he signed. We've never really had to deal with sitting a 3* recruit because they haven't won the job.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I will add my support for Cunningham. He had a super quick release and was very accurate in the spring game.
By LUAlum1215
R i wrote:I will add my support for Cunningham. He had a super quick release and was very accurate in the spring game.
I second this. He surprised me during the spring game but it will be up to him to take the job from Buckshot; it certainly won't be given to him.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Buckshot isn't going anywhere. Cunningham was pretty impressive during the spring game, but his skill set isn't really comparable to Buckshot's right now. IMHO. Cunningham was playing against the second team D most of the time. With our major shortage of adequate DB's available during the spring and lack of a pass rush, I would say he is pretty much untested thus far.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree with flameshaw, which is why I said that he would have to outplay Buckshot come August.
By LCA&LU Mom
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:My biggest concern is offensive play calling.
Ditto, Ballcoach! It was my concern coming out of 15 going into 16...and became a reality. Likewise, play calling and O-line play will be my greatest concern this coming year. If it's same ole-same ole again this year and the O-line play is dismal...it will not be a good year for our record or our coaching staff.
how's o-line looking for this year?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When a team has a bad O line, they should not run ball on first/second down on most possessions. There are offensive plays that can "cover up" bad O line play.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Build momentum+ beat Chuck South = Great Season
That simply can't be our goal anymore.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would expect Chuck South to be a dumpster fire this year with all of the coaching changes. It is an absolute embarrassment that we lost to them the last two years. Really it is unforgivable. It does show however, what a school with horrible facilities, can do with a dynamic/energetic coach.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Golf, what should our goal be for this non championship , non bowl, season be ?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
With nothing to play fot this year, if we can go undefeated in the Big South and win more than 6 games, I'd consider that a success..just so long as we don't napalm the bridge for our other sports in the meantime
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The majority of LU BSC defeats in the past 5 or more years , have been an embrassment, plus some non conference defeats also. We have lost many games, we should have won.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Golf, what should our goal be for this non championship , non bowl, season be ?
Win the Big South finally when it doesn't matter :)
By Ewglenn
This season is a bust with anything less than 8-3. Added scholarships, an extremely soft schedule and a veteran qb should make 8-3 the standard. That's losing the two hard games and giving y'all one to drop to a lesser team. Imo with the move to fbs Gill would need to do that or he should go.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
I would expect Chuck South to be a dumpster fire this year with all of the coaching changes. It is an absolute embarrassment that we lost to them the last two years. Really it is unforgivable. It does show however, what a school with horrible facilities, can do with a dynamic/energetic coach.
Chuck South is going to be interesting to follow. Losing Chadwell and most all of his best assistants should pretty much put an end to their ability to recruit the level of players they have had the last few years. I am not aware of a mass player exodus however, so the real dumpster fire may be a year or so away. I do agree though that it would be an embarrassment for us to lose to them this year.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
CSU I believe graduated the top 3 RBs and AA OL. Defense should still be stout but offensively they won't be as dominating as they have been the last 2-3 years.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]