Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:We begin our 2017 opponent previews by taking a look at the matchup with Baylor

http://www.aseaofred.com/2017-opponent-preview-baylor/
I think this is a very winnable P5 game for y'all. I still would expect Baylor to win but a little too close for comfort. 35-24 Baylor.
If Baylor's running game is what it was like last year it will be a long and painful day
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Baylor is gonna want to make a statement in a big way after all the football program has been through. I would not be surprised if we got our worst loss since 05 in this game.

For me my top 5 concerns (in no particular order) coming into the season are:
RB
OL
DB
DL
TE
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is still a TON of talent left in Waco. I like playing them in the opener because it generally takes a game or two for most teams to get on track. That plays in our favor. But I do agree that the Bears will want to make this a statement game. I hope I see some of you there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Most of the time we play better against the "big boys" than most people think we will. I recall we were leading VT in the 2nd quarter last year. If offense could have gotten untracked, that game would have been closer.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Most of the time we play better against the "big boys" than most people think we will. I recall we were leading VT in the 2nd quarter last year. If offense could have gotten untracked, that game would have been closer.
Agreed. We were beating North Carolina with 6 minutes left in the 3rd!!
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Most of the time we play better against the "big boys" than most people think we will. I recall we were leading VT in the 2nd quarter last year. If offense could have gotten untracked, that game would have been closer.
I was doing some demolition work and was listening to the broadcast. I broke after, was it 5 false starts on a single drive? I seem to remember having a lot of those that stalled Masha constantly last year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We were actually more competetive against the Hokies than some of their conference opponents. If we had not had so many self-destructive penalties, the score would likely have been closer.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
We were actually more competetive against the Hokies than some of their conference opponents. If we had not had so many self-destructive penalties, the score would likely have been closer.
I was at that game. The score made it seem closer than it was. Tech looked awful. LU looked worse. Almost lost my Man Crush on TG. LU was not competitive in that game at all
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And Tech's nachos were AMAZING! 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't think I eat anything at game. I had a cheap seat in south end zone. I did not like it, thus I went down to where LU band was sitting, did some networking, and "joined" the band.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:And Tech's nachos were AMAZING! 8)
I can't remember what I ate there. I think the fresh kettle Korn.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
You didn't have the turkey leg?

Oh, and I ate in the Flames Club tent, too: best BBQ in Blackburg from Bull and Bones.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:You didn't have the turkey leg?

Oh, and I ate in the Flames Club tent, too: best BBQ in Blackburg from Bull and Bones.
I hate the turkey legs
Bull and Bones is solid. I eat there often for lunch. Love the smokehouse chicken sandwich
By willflop
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:
I was at that game. The score made it seem closer than it was. Tech looked awful. LU looked worse. Almost lost my Man Crush on TG. LU was not competitive in that game at all
Agreed, our defense did all the work the first half. First touchdown was from recovering a muffed punt around the 10. Our 2nd was by returning a VT fumble for a TD. We had zero inability to move the ball on offense, really ugly.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VT- 49
BC- 0

VT- 34
NC- 3

To clarify, I never said we were very competitive or that the game was closer than the score indicated. I said we were more competitive than some of their conference opponents. I think the scoreboard points that out. Yes our offense was awful against the Hokies, but defense and special teams are still part of the game. I will also stand by the statement that without the false start penalties, the score would have been closer. If that was not the case, why was everyone so bent out of shape about them? Just a few harmless 5 yard penalties, right? No. They made it impossible for us to establish any offensive momentum early.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:VT- 49
BC- 0

VT- 34
NC- 3

To clarify, I never said we were very competitive or that the game was closer than the score indicated. I said we were more competitive than some of their conference opponents. I think the scoreboard points that out. Yes our offense was awful against the Hokies, but defense and special teams are still part of the game. I will also stand by the statement that without the false start penalties, the score would have been closer. If that was not the case, why was everyone so bent out of shape about them? Just a few harmless 5 yard penalties, right? No. They made it impossible for us to establish any offensive momentum early.
The false starts were embarrassing because they happened like 4 plays in a row. And most were on the same guy. You take away the miracles that Tech made and the game is uglier than I am after a weekend bender. In the scores you posted Tech was in good form and didn't make those mistakes. It was the mistakes Tech made nothing LU did that made the game as remotely competitive as it was. Had Tech played like that against UNC or BC they would have lost
By rtb72
ballcoach15 wrote:My biggest concern is offensive play calling.
Ditto, Ballcoach! It was my concern coming out of 15 going into 16...and became a reality. Likewise, play calling and O-line play will be my greatest concern this coming year. If it's same ole-same ole again this year and the O-line play is dismal...it will not be a good year for our record or our coaching staff.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When a team has O line problems, the last thing they should want to do is "run ball off tackle" on first/second down. Run a Spread attack, and get ball to playmakers in space, and let them make plays. This spreads out the defense, thus masking weakness of O line.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Great job!

I think this is actually one of our tougher games. They were 4-7 last year with a first year coach and a young squad. Three of their seven losses were by 7 combined points. Their other losses were to Minnesota, Missouri State, Northern Iowa and North Dakota State. Point being, this a better team than most of us realize.

They start off with Eastern Illinois and Tennessee, before making the trip here. So, we're likely facing a talented 0-2 squad, the week before we visit Jacksonville State. Feels like a trap game.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]