Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ewglenn
Why not try to form a new fbs conference? It would be spread out but I think it could work. NMSU, UMASS and some FCS move ups. EKU wants to move up. Maybe Jacksonville State would be interested. What are the thoughts on that possibility?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It's been brought up here before. I wonder what the odds would be of a Football Only conference?
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:It's been brought up here before. I wonder what the odds would be of a Football Only conference?
It would exist purely to poke fun at the Big East.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:It's been brought up here before. I wonder what the odds would be of a Football Only conference?
It would exist purely to poke fun at the Big East.
Although the Big East is doing quite well as a predominantly basketball hyped conference; just saying.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The NCAA rules state that any FBS league must be all-sport. That greatly diminishes the chances that schools like UMass would have any interest considering they walked away from a MAC invite because they didn't want to move Olympics to that league.

Theoretically speaking the WAC still has a waiver. But whether that remains a reality is up for speculation. So essentially I only see a new FBS league coming out of a potential G5 realignment as discussed in the other thread in this forum.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Isn't the Atlantic 10 a non football conference ? And isn't there still a Big East Conference, that is D1 and doesn't play football ?

These "northern conferences" have always had me confused.
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote:Isn't the Atlantic 10 a non football conference ? And isn't there still a Big East Conference, that is D1 and doesn't play football ?

These "northern conferences" have always had me confused.
Yes for both questions. Both are pretty good conferences in which I'd like LU to be realigned to in the future(hoping that LU succeeds well as a FBS independent).
By Blessed1
Registration Days Posts
Liberty has options, but all of their options comes with hurdles.

1) Liberty could seek entrance into the Atlantic 10 or another conference for its Olympic sports. I like the A10 and it would definitely be an upgrade over the Big South, but 1) the A10 already have 14 members and 2) I do not know if LU could get in even if they did have spots available.

2) Liberty could try to create an Eastern wing of the WAC. The WAC has a waiver for football and they are already an established conference with an auto bid for the NCAA tourney. I could see a scenario like this:

WAC - WEST
New Mexico State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
CSU Bakersfield
Grand Canyon
Seattle
UMKC
Cal Baptist
*Chicago State is bounced out because of their financial situation.

WAC - EAST
Liberty
Jacksonville State
Eastern Kentucky
Missouri State
Youngstown State
Sam Houston State
Lamar

3) Liberty, along with our savvy AD, could try to convince other FCS schools to come up. Liberty could offer to help with traveling expenses for the short term. In this scenario, I could see the following:

Liberty
Youngstown State
Missouri State
Eastern Kentucky
Chattanooga
Kennesaw State
Jacksonville State
Sam Houston State
Lamar
*New Mexico State (FB Only or an all-sports member)
* UMASS (FB Only)

In conclusion, all of the scenarios will be challenging to pull off, but heck, if we were able to convince 3 ACC schools to come to Lynchburg for play a road game, I will continue to remain optimistic.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Why not remain FBS Independent? As a fan, the schedules seem a lot better than playing in the SunBelt or creating an FCS conference with a FBS logo. I'd think if we balance out our books each year, we could build a national profile and run schedules similar to BYU/Army and have fun playing with "the big boys". Who knows... maybe even become a "big boy" one day.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Look who came out from the shadows with the FBS move? Good to see you again Tally...how's the church?
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Things are well, BJ. Been stalking... talking to a few offline from time to time. Life/Church are good.

I've been extremely impressed with the schedules and I'd love to keep up a few P5's, Army, BYU, etc on rotation... and play fill-in-the-blank... rather than what I hear as the alternative options moving forward.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I would wait and see what happens with realignment before trying to bring back my WAC-East idea.

There's a lot of uncertainty with the Big12, and even if nothing happens there, the dynamic of P5 vs G5 conferences remains uncertain. Once more, none of the current ideas have a true plan for independent programs. While this may be viewed as shaky ground, it actually could be a positive. If something is proposed that creates a large gap between P5 and G5, being in the same category as Notre Dame is a huge positive. Unless the C-USA extends an offer, I think there actually could be quite a few positives to remaining independent.

Look at our schedule too. We have Syracuse, UVA and BYU on the schedule. Getting games like that is much easier to do when you have availability. If we're subject to a conference schedule though, we really only have four to five available weeks to scheduling non-conference opponent. That severity limits our options and probably impacts our schedule in a negative light. Again, if the trade is for consistent games with ODU, Marshall, Southern Miss & UNC-Charlotte, that's fine. But I'm not crazy about forgoing a series with BYU so that we can participate in a conference with a bunch of current FCS programs.

At this point, it just makes sense to be on the outside of conference play and have the ability to have control. Honestly, when other programs realize all of the availability that we'll have with LFSN, being an independent, this could have a big impact on college football.
By Ewglenn
The biggest issue without a conference is Olympic sports and no bowl tie ins. The Indy route has its positives but the conference route does too. Depends on what you care about. The schedule, post season play or all around athletics.
By Class of 20Something
BuryYourDuke wrote:Indy football is better for all of our Olympic sports too. We will always have a conference home for them, but the name brand we will build with these schedules will have a cascading effect.

I never want to join the sun belt, or any other FCS conference playing FBS football. If we have moderate success and maintain these schedules for a decade we will be in position for very big things.
I agree. "If you build it, they will come." It applies to the facilities, but I think moreso the scheduling. Dangling these schedules in front of recruits will have a major effect. A class of '18 student, assuming 4 years at LU, will play

UVA X2
Syracuse X3
Army x2
UNT X2
VT x1
Ole Miss x1
Auburn x1
Troy x2
BYU x1

Most of our targets(our Target rating will increase from low 3* and 2* to nearly all 3* and low 4*)will be looking at service academies or middle G5 schools. We aren't going to be recruiting like Boise State in the next 5 years, but if 80% of our targets are 3*, our schedule should be a deciding factor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Indy football is better for all of our Olympic sports too. We will always have a conference home for them, but the name brand we will build with these schedules will have a cascading effect.

I never want to join the sun belt, or any other FCS conference playing FBS football. If we have moderate success and maintain these schedules for a decade we will be in position for very big things.
I agree. "If you build it, they will come." It applies to the facilities, but I think moreso the scheduling. Dangling these schedules in front of recruits will have a major effect. A class of '18 student, assuming 4 years at LU, will play

UVA X2
Syracuse X3
Army x2
UNT X2
VT x1
Ole Miss x1
Auburn x1
Troy x2
BYU x1

Most of our targets(our Target rating will increase from low 3* and 2* to nearly all 3* and low 4*)will be looking at service academies or middle G5 schools. We aren't going to be recruiting like Boise State in the next 5 years, but if 80% of our targets are 3*, our schedule should be a deciding factor.
That only works in the movies. Especially if it stars Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I might add, I really don't care about not having any bowl tie-ins. With the exception of a major bowl, I won't be going.
By cruzan_flame13

I'm hoping that two non-football conferences will realign. Those conferences, as stated before, are the A-10 and Big East. The Big East commissioner stated in an interview that the topic is of interest but will not occur any time soon. When the Big East decides to add two schools, it would be nice by then if LU has had a good amount of postseason/NCAA presence to boost their résumé. Other reasons that the Big East is a great conference for LU is that most of the members are 'religious' affiliated and private(also should add that we already have a team in the Big East[field hockey]). If that doesn't work out then we could take the place of whatever team that leaves the A-10 and has transioned to the Big East (looking at VCU or Davidson). Who knows what can happen, however staying in the BSC should not be the goal(I don't think it is for McCaw).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't see a bunch of Catholic priests inviting us to their club anytime soon. And I believe those same catholic priests went to great lengths to separate themselves from schools that emphasized football. This all applies to both leagues you are mentioning.

And I agree with BYD about the football exposure assuring our Olympic sports of always having a home. It may not be our favorite place to live. But we will maintain auto bids moving forward barring unforeseen events.
By Ewglenn
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

I'm hoping that two non-football conferences will realign. Those conferences, as stated before, are the A-10 and Big East. The Big East commissioner stated in an interview that the topic is of interest but will not occur any time soon. When the Big East decides to add two schools, it would be nice by then if LU has had a good amount of postseason/NCAA presence to boost their résumé. Other reasons that the Big East is a great conference for LU is that most of the members are 'religious' affiliated and private(also should add that we already have a team in the Big East[field hockey]). If that doesn't work out then we could take the place of whatever team that leaves the A-10 and has transioned to the Big East (looking at VCU or Davidson). Who knows what can happen, however staying in the BSC should not be the goal(I don't think it is for McCaw).
The Big East is a pipe dream. The A10 is highly unlikely as well. What are yalls thoughts of moving to the A-Sun? At least there you would still have similar schools that you out resource in a large way but you gain a basketball date with FGCU. Dunk city anyone?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

The Big East is a pipe dream. The A10 is highly unlikely as well. What are yalls thoughts of moving to the A-Sun? At least there you would still have similar schools that you out resource in a large way but you gain a basketball date with FGCU. Dunk city anyone?
That's just inside the box thinking! :mrgreen:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

If the A-Sun is an upgrade at all over the BSC, it is not by much. Certainly not enough to justify a TON of extra travel for all sports. The CLOSEST away games would be in Spartanburg, SC. Our only BSC opponents that are (slightly) farther are Chuck South and Presby.
By cruzan_flame13
It's funny that Ewglenn said merging in the big East is a pipe dream. That is exactly what others had say with merging to FBS status after the result of the Sun Belt realignment situation. Then when it actually happens, folks positions changes as if they never ever doubted drastically on such ideas. PH has been replying with "thinking inside or outside the box" as a joke, however there are some in here who only think short term. As I mentioned before, I am just observing what has been going around from key figures in the conferences and some out side table talk. Clearly this is not impossible, especially with what we've learn for the past few months. Money and connection talks, especially for the future. The fact that we have good assets and the growth of online type broadcasting is becoming more popular than t.v. broadcasting, I'm going to stick with my statement. Just like some folks here has called me out of making impossible statements of our football team playing against big known schools(some are on our schedules), I'll still stick with the idea of our olympic sport teams taking a chance to be in a top tier conference(A-10/B-East) as they get better from now and into the 2020's. My thinking outside of the box comment (awhile back) wasn't so ridiculous after all :wink:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Self delusion. It's not just for breakfast anymore
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]