Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Well, Rice is private, but I know what you mean.

Bottom line is that we aren't going to the Big East anytime in the near future. So we can basically put that one away. I don't think we really have any immediate options but the A-Sun.
With that narrow minded thinking you should turn in your press credentials! How can Villanova, Georgetown Seton Hall etc NOT see how LU's hoops teams could boost the league. Let alone the coveted Lynchburg/Roanoke TV market! :dramaqueen
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Let's never forget those coveted TV markets. Might should include Danville also. LU should not go to a "basketball conference".
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You guys joke about the TV market, but Roanoke-Lynchburg is actually a decent market for some of these leagues. It would have been among the top portion of the Sun Belt.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Well, Rice is private, but I know what you mean.

Bottom line is that we aren't going to the Big East anytime in the near future. So we can basically put that one away. I don't think we really have any immediate options but the A-Sun.
We also didn't think half of the contracts Football has signed in the past 3 months were possible in the near future. I certainly don't expect the Big East to be our destination, but considering how we have been able to negotiate recently, I wouldn't be surprised. Two weeks ago no one here thought a P5 school would play in Lynchburg until 2022 and that is IF you consider BYU a P5 program. WF in 2025 was the first bonafide P5 at Home. Instead 2019 is just around the corner.

Point is, there is expert level negotiation going on these day. I won't underestimate them.
This is exactly what I have been saying for awhile now and was sometimes mocked for it. The point is times are changing and deals will change as well once expired. There are many talks about conference realignments and super conferences, but as for the Big East, that idea is still discussed as well. I know our teams are not as big as those in the Big East, however our recruiting will become much better if we were in a better conference. We have a hard time becoming a known athletic school because of our position. Staying in the Big South will not help us in the future.

P.S. I thought it was possible to have BYU to come play in the Bill. I figured if we could get in the F.B.S, why not have some known schools as well lol
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on June 7th, 2017, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:You guys joke about the TV market, but Roanoke-Lynchburg is actually a decent market for some of these leagues. It would have been among the top portion of the Sun Belt.

May I also add(again) the fact that streaming is becoming popular and that LFSN can broadcast to millions of people! With all these smart TV's coming out, regular broadcasting is not the only option anymore. BYU TV is working well for BYU, why can't LFSN work for us!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Yeah, I am always surprised to see how high the Roanoke-Lynchburg market is on the listings that come out.
(Don't forget Danville)
But yeah, i am the same way. They are so vastly different. With Nielsen ratings coming under scrutiny I wonder how/if it will change. I know of a couple of national advertisers who have flown in and scratched their heads as to why these cities are linked. They are thinking Minneapolis/St Paul. Or Dallas/ Ft Worth. But when they get here it s totally different
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
The Roanoke Lynchburg market is very large in terms of area compared to other markets. Probably the most plausible reason is Poor Mountains's prominence to broadcast all the way to deep Southside VA.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Roanoke & Lynchburg are similar in distance as Dallas & Ft. Worth. But the latter has more in between.

The market is served well by there being a zillion small towns that add up collectively. Most places west of the Appalachians and east of the Sierra Nevadas have a vast wasteland once you leave the metro. That certainly is the case here in Texas. Corpus Christi has roughly 300k in the metro but is the 120s for a market. If it were in Virginia it would probably be a top 40 market.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Roanoke & Lynchburg are similar in distance as Dallas & Ft. Worth. But the latter has more in between.

The market is served well by there being a zillion small towns that add up collectively. Most places west of the Appalachians and east of the Sierra Nevadas have a vast wasteland once you leave the metro. That certainly is the case here in Texas. Corpus Christi has roughly 300k in the metro but is the 120s for a market. If it were in Virginia it would probably be a top 40 market.
West of the Appalachians + East of the Sierra Nevada = flyover country. I've flown over it many times.
By Class of 20Something
ATrain wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Roanoke & Lynchburg are similar in distance as Dallas & Ft. Worth. But the latter has more in between.

West of the Appalachians + East of the Sierra Nevada = flyover country. I've flown over it many times.
As long as you're between mountains and ocean, you're good to go.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]