Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone here, besides myself. think we might be moving a bit too fast? Being squashed by these big name teams are not going to do a lot for our confidence on the field.
I don't think we have the staff to recruit the players we need to play with these guys. I hope I am wrong, but don't have any evidence so far to think otherwise.
Seems like we have gone from driving a go-cart to an Indy car with no steps in between.
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
I also think we're moving too fast, but it's hard not to get wrapped up in the excitement. The key will be winning the games we should win, like NMSU, the FCS games and stealing a Buffalo/Army type game or two. Get to 5 wins in '18 and 6-7 in '19 and we're really moving
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:We should simultaneously post every P5 scheduling announcement on the JMU board from now on.

Does LU have a thread there yet? Are we moving our board over there? What's wrong with this one? Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.
HEY, kid, get off my lawn!!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Does anyone here, besides myself. think we might be moving a bit too fast? Being squashed by these big name teams are not going to do a lot for our confidence on the field.
I don't think we have the staff to recruit the players we need to play with these guys. I hope I am wrong, but don't have any evidence so far to think otherwise.
Seems like we have gone from driving a go-cart to an Indy car with no steps in between.
It's one of the reasons I suspect LU was able to get some household names on the schedule. These will count as FBS games for each school. So why not get an easy FBS win instead of an FCS win? And if you are ODU $1.3 million to boot.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
gerb wrote:We should simultaneously post every P5 scheduling announcement on the JMU board from now on.

Does LU have a thread there yet? Are we moving our board over there? What's wrong with this one? Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.
HEY, kid, get off my lawn!!
Ha! I apparently was called out by some dude over there but there is ALREADY a Purple Hanse over there and it ain't me. Doesn't speak well for posters when they call someone out who isn't even there
It would also help if he knew the difference between FCS and FBS Study
By Ewglenn
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote:I also think we're moving too fast, but it's hard not to get wrapped up in the excitement. The key will be winning the games we should win, like NMSU, the FCS games and stealing a Buffalo/Army type game or two. Get to 5 wins in '18 and 6-7 in '19 and we're really moving
Y'all have to win the FCS games. Those should be give me games at FBS level. It's not like the G5 teams y'all have scheduled are oozing with talent so you should be competitive with decent coaching. I would think somewhere between 2-5 wins is realistic for the 2018 season.
By willflop
flameshaw wrote:Does anyone here, besides myself. think we might be moving a bit too fast? Being squashed by these big name teams are not going to do a lot for our confidence on the field.
Maybe, depends on how much of a recruiting tool it will be. However, for wanting to move fast, while playing recognizable names, we are playing conservatively all things considered. A lot of 2-10 and sub 500 teams.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:A lot of 2-10 and sub 500 teams.
Examples, please.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Examples, please.
Syracuse
Wake
UVA
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think they have put together challenging schedules but nothing insane. We aren't visiting high level P5 schools every other week. Most of the P5 schools aren't powerhouses aside from one or two schools.

I think it's a good balance. the football team won't have a winning record the first couple of years but nobody really expects that anyways.
By willflop
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Examples, please.
Syracuse
Wake
UVA
+ Rutgers. Their only 2 wins last year was an FCS and New Mexico.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Examples, please.
Syracuse
Wake
UVA
Also, New Mexico St was 3-9 last year and UMass was 2-10. North TX, who had been HORRIBLE for years, went 5-8 (but actually went to a bowl).

Bottom line is the only teams on our 2018 schedule who were actually good last year are Auburn, ODU, Troy and New Mexico.
By willflop
I threw this chart together using the Sagarin ratings. Liberty was a 51 after 2016, and as of right now our opponent average is 58 (also based on how they finished out 2016). Assuming we can raise ours to 58, simply from the fact that we get 22 more scholarships for depth, + potential for better talent recruiting given our FBS status, it's reasonable to project a 500 season in 2019.

For those unfamiliar with Sagarin, you can find it here: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm. In short, if a team has a rating of 60 and the other has 50, the team with 60 is expected to win by 10 points +/- 3 points for home field advantage.

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Its actually the percect blend imho. The only total mismatches are auburn ole miss and maybe byu but 2 of those are 4 years away.

Ive heard gill is looking at a few fbs transfers. Also he will be able to get some quality jucos next year. This year was a tough sell for 2 year juco kids with this year meaning nothing. Those jucos and fbs transfers will be ready to go immediately. Hopefully he pulls in a good class this year. We have played better against better competition for the 95 percent of our games the last 10 years. We might actually thrive not having the bullseye on our back.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Its actually the percect blend imho. The only total mismatches are auburn ole miss and maybe byu but 2 of those are 4 years away.

Ive heard gill is looking at a few fbs transfers. Also he will be able to get some quality jucos next year. This year was a tough sell for 2 year juco kids with this year meaning nothing. Those jucos and fbs transfers will be ready to go immediately. Hopefully he pulls in a good class this year. We have played better against better competition for the 95 percent of our games the last 10 years. We might actually thrive not having the bullseye on our back.
I agree. I think if you look at those games like the FBS money games LU plays now it doesn't shape up too badly on paper
By LUOrange
I don't expect to have winning records in 2018 & 2019, the beauties of these schedules is that we very well could have winning records.
By Ewglenn
jinxy wrote:Its actually the percect blend imho. The only total mismatches are auburn ole miss and maybe byu but 2 of those are 4 years away.

Ole Miss is a dumpster fire right now. BYU is a muchhhhhh better team.
By Curtisc83
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:Whoever Curtis is needs to knock that off. That's poor form.
Or I will continue to post updates to the JMU board and let them implode on their own ignorance. I know this board is pretty insulated from the rest of the FBS but just in case anyone wonders JMU and pretty much the entire Sun Belt Board are so full of themselves that getting great home games just makes me so happy. Right now we are having more quality teams come to the Bill in the first few years then almost all of the recent additions to the SBC have ever had. And it's not like I rub it in anyone's face. I just post a very factual update with zero to no opinion and let them talk about it.
By Class of 20Something
Curtisc83 wrote:
Or I will continue to post updates to the JMU board and let them implode on their own ignorance. I know this board is pretty insulated from the rest of the FBS but just in case anyone wonders JMU and pretty much the entire Sun Belt Board are so full of themselves that getting great home games just makes me so happy. Right now we are having more quality teams come to the Bill in the first few years then almost all of the recent additions to the SBC have ever had. And it's not like I rub it in anyone's face. I just post a very factual update with zero to no opinion and let them talk about it.
Breh, humility. Let them post it. They will. Just observe. No need to egg them on. It should tell you something that everyone here is on the same page about it. We never agree on anything.
By Curtisc83
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Curtisc83 wrote:
Breh, humility. Let them post it. They will. Just observe. No need to egg them on. It should tell you something that everyone here is on the same page about it. We never agree on anything.
Everyone's opinion here doesn't matter over there since LU fans have self segregated to sea of red. I would love to see more of a LU presence on CSN since it represents lots of FBS teams. But I'm not sure that will ever happen. Till then sorry I'm going to not be humble. It's just how I roll and since there are so few LU fans over there I have to be proactive.
By Class of 20Something
Curtisc83 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Curtisc83 wrote: Or I will continue to post updates to the JMU board and let them implode on their own ignorance. I know this board is pretty insulated from the rest of the FBS but just in case anyone wonders JMU and pretty much the entire Sun Belt Board are so full of themselves that getting great home games just makes me so happy. Right now we are having more quality teams come to the Bill in the first few years then almost all of the recent additions to the SBC have ever had. And it's not like I rub it in anyone's face. I just post a very factual update with zero to no opinion and let them talk about it.
Everyone's opinion here doesn't matter over there since LU fans have self segregated to sea of red. I would love to see more of a LU presence on CSN since it represents lots of FBS teams. But I'm not sure that will ever happen. Till then sorry I'm going to not be humble. It's just how I roll and since there are so few LU fans over there I have to be proactive.
Sorry I have to go get my eyes. They rolled out of my head reading that.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]