Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
Stevev wrote:Another home and home deal with an ACC school coming soon? :idea:

NC State perhaps? :dontgetit
That would be the right choice. I wouldn't be shocked if it's something not expected like Pitt.
By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Stevev wrote:Another home and home deal with an ACC school coming soon? :idea:

NC State perhaps? :dontgetit
That would be the right choice. I wouldn't be shocked if it's something not expected like Pitt.
Both teams get a win on playing in recruiting territory. NCSU schedules an easy FBS team. I think LU might be able to pull off a home and home rather than a 2for 1.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:My fingers are crossed for a trip to Hawaii. :wink:
They need games Lu has the money to fly out there
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Get a nice size check, a guaranteed extra game and a trip to Hawaii...cant go wrong with that
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Get a nice size check, a guaranteed extra game and a trip to Hawaii...cant go wrong with that
Normally yes. But Hawaii is different. They are strapped financially. Take a look at their facilities not the greatest and they can't keep coaches. They would be more than happy to schedule LU at their place sans a guarantee or for a very small guarantee. But LU has the money to play there regardless
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Road games are not the problem for LU. Would Hawaii be interested in a cross country road game ? I doubt it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Road games are not the problem for LU. Would Hawaii be interested in a cross country road game ? I doubt it.
If LU pays for it. Which they would
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Hawaii is opening at UMass this year. They've played at Michigan last year a week (!) after opening in Australia. They played at Ohio State. They're scheduled to play at Army next year. They would absolutely play at Liberty.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Damien Sordelett wrote:The final three dates against UMass have been finalized: http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/damie ... 93694.html
I'm very much a fan of how these are turning out. Now, just to get the team capable of this kind of play.
UMASS is winnable
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Damien Sordelett wrote:The final three dates against UMass have been finalized: http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/damie ... 93694.html
I'm very much a fan of how these are turning out. Now, just to get the team capable of this kind of play.
UMASS is winnable
Yes, we SHOULD win...but we have a history of choking away games we should win.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Nice to see the AD doing work and getting the schedule set for the next two years. Not a lot of spice on the home slate but that UVa trip to Scott Stadium looks like one I'd want to take
By Ewglenn
BJWilliams wrote:Nice to see the AD doing work and getting the schedule set for the next two years. Not a lot of spice on the home slate but that UVa trip to Scott Stadium looks like one I'd want to take
It's a pretty decent home schedule:

P5 Syracuse
A few G5 teams that should be winnable
Maine is a good FCS team that will make it interesting
A tune up game

Sounds good to me. I would like to see only one FCS team per year but in the short amount of time they set this up pretty well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I'd call it decent...but none of the games really jump out at me, even Syracuse who is a fine basketball school, but average to below average as far as football is concerned. BYU in 2022 jumps out because they were one of the barometer programs Dr. Falwell compared us to. The Tech, UVa and ODU games because we need to be able to compete with the in-state FBS schools for sure...but really nothing in 2019 looks like it's move the meter for the average fan in Virginia.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm loving the addition of the 2019 road trip to the Ragin Cajuns. That is the only game in reasonable driving ditance for me until North Texas in 2021. And any excuse to go get my Cajun/Creole/Zydeco on in the heart of the Atchafalya Basin is fantastic IMHO. It is also delicious that one of the schools that supposedly fought us so hard on entry into the Sun Belt didn't mind bellying up to a home-and-home as an indy.

Well done to Ian & Mickey for also adding the November return date with the Cajuns. As of right now, we will be ending regular season with an FBS home date the next five years. The FBS Indy naysayers used to use the idea of spending November on the road or with FCS home games as a reason why we shouldn't pursue that avenue. I'm guessing those concerns have now been allayed.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:Yeah I'd call it decent...but none of the games really jump out at me, even Syracuse who is a fine basketball school, but average to below average as far as football is concerned. BYU in 2022 jumps out because they were one of the barometer programs Dr. Falwell compared us to. The Tech, UVa and ODU games because we need to be able to compete with the in-state FBS schools for sure...but really nothing in 2019 looks like it's move the meter for the average fan in Virginia.
Is it reasonable to believe we could be .500 with that schedule in our first year of bowl eligiblity?

Louisiana
Hampton
Maine
UMass
Split with NMSU
Win one of (Rutgers, Buffalo, Virginia)

Especially with two bye weeks in there it's plausible. It isn't a big sexy schedule. All the FBS home games will travel better than the FCS schools. If we upset Syracuse, it wouldn't be crazy to expect a 4-0 start that season. (Syracuse, @Louisiana, Buffalo, Hampton)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Cajuns are down a bit this season, but the past few years were probably better than the Orange. I'd throw Buffalo in the more likely win category at this stage. But I see you working.
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote:The Cajuns are down a bit this season, but the past few years were probably better than the Orange. I'd throw Buffalo in the more likely win category at this stage. But I see you working.
I think Syracuse and UVa are both about to have their programs turned around. Bronco has done wonders already.

I forgot how bad Rutgers has gotten. Last place in the B1G.

The Flames club should look at chartering a few buses for the UVA games. My whole crew and then some wants to go-to that game in 18 and 19. I'm sure there are more. We need a catchy name for the road fans for football games. The FirePit or something. Especially if the Flames Club can get discounted tickets to some of these P5 schools. I don't feel like paying more for a single road game than I do for our season tickets.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]