Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ewglenn
ballcoach15 wrote:When doing predictions for 2019 season, let's all remember, we have a new defensive coordinator. :football
Exactly, maybe I’m too confident but I will be really disappointed if we aren’t 8-4 or better. UVA is the only game I don’t think we have a good chance to win. We could but they are going to be pretty good. I expect to beat Rutgers. Syracuse is replacing their qb and I think that’s a big loss. They seem confident in their new guy. I feel we have a good shot in that one and should be competitive at least.
By LUOrange
A Sea of Red wrote:2019 Liberty football game by game projections

http://www.aseaofred.com/2019-liberty-f ... ojections/
I think this is a fair and logical way too early season prediction. However, just like last season's schedule we have the opportunity to do very well with this schedule and win way more that we lose. We should be in every game this year, just like last year where Auburn was the only game we didn't have a chance with. Syracuse is this year's Auburn, but I think we can definitely hang with my Orangemen. I think the biggest difference will obviously be the coaching staff, who I believe can get way more out of our talent than Coach Gill was able to. Plus I don't see HCHF going for it on 4th down from our own 10 yard line down by 7 half way through the 3rd quarter. I also think we win 1-2 of our 4 P-5 games and the majority of our FBS games.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
UVA will have new faces in key positions, but BC, youd be crazy to think we can beat the Cavaliers straight up. Will it be a more competitive game? I sure think so, but I have us losing this one
By Ewglenn
BJWilliams wrote:UVA will have new faces in key positions, but BC, youd be crazy to think we can beat the Cavaliers straight up. Will it be a more competitive game? I sure think so, but I have us losing this one
What key positions?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
7-5 is a logical and fair prediction for an early prediction. This is one of the many reasons I am thankful for ASOR as we have great writers and leaders who facilitate conversation on our boards so well.

With that said, I respectfully disagree with Manson on his prediction. We went 6-6 with Gill, the former staff and I may be guzzling the Kool-aid, but I do believe having Freeze gives us at minimum 2 more wins then 6. My personal prediction is 9-3 with losses only coming to Syracuse, UVA and BYU.

All in all, if we do go 7-5 that is not bad for year 2 in FBS.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:7-5 is a logical and fair prediction for an early prediction. This is one of the many reasons I am thankful for ASOR as we have great writers and leaders who facilitate conversation on our boards so well.

With that said, I respectfully disagree with Manson on his prediction. We went 6-6 with Gill, the former staff and I may be guzzling the Kool-aid, but I do believe having Freeze gives us at minimum 2 more wins then 6. My personal prediction is 9-3 with losses only coming to Syracuse, UVA and BYU.

All in all, if we do go 7-5 that is not bad for year 2 in FBS.
With lots of returnees and a 6-6 FBS season under out belt, Freeze should get no less than 8 win. The pressure is on!
By tyndal23
I think Louisiana game is going to be a key to dictating an 8 win or better season. Either coming off a dramatic upset or most likely emotional loss or even conventional, as expected 17 point or more to Syracuse -taking a road trip to a team that is better on paper and well coached. We will find out a lot week 2. Starting 0-2 leaves no room for slip ups to UNM/UMASS types. This is our true 1st year FBS and half our team is FCS caliber - no room for key injuries. 7-5 and bowl eligible with 4 P5 teams on schedule is a solid and real expectation and keeps HF with us another year ( which to me is crucial - a 1 and done would devastate our Program ).
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
tyndal23 wrote:I think Louisiana game is going to be a key to dictating an 8 win or better season. Either coming off a dramatic upset or most likely emotional loss or even conventional, as expected 17 point or more to Syracuse -taking a road trip to a team that is better on paper and well coached. We will find out a lot week 2. Starting 0-2 leaves no room for slip ups to UNM/UMASS types. This is our true 1st year FBS and half our team is FCS caliber - no room for key injuries. 7-5 and bowl eligible with 4 P5 teams on schedule is a solid and real expectation and keeps HF with us another year ( which to me is crucial - a 1 and done would devastate our Program ).
Great points. Louisiana was 7-7 last year in HC Billy Napier's first season. They should be even better this year and will likely challenge for a Sun Belt title again.
By Jonathan Carone
Those of you expecting eight wins really need to re-evaluate the level of football we’re competing in and the current make up of our roster.

Eight wins is possible.

It shouldn’t be expected.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I think some of the 8-4 expectations (mine included) are coming from the value we place on Coach Freeze. This is in no disrespect of Coach Gill, but I believe coach Freeze is worth at minimum 2 more wins than Gill and we got 6 with him last year. I also think we have a distinct advantage going into this season as film from last years team will not equate with what we will be doing defensively and offensively. Our schedule seems tougher this year by name recognition only. Rutgers is a P5 dumpster fire and Buffalo whooped them last year. Also, last years Troys team is better than this years Louisiana as well. I will not be disappointed with 7-5, but I do expect us to go 8-4.
By cruzan_flame13
This reminds me of last year when folks were saying that we’d go at least 4-8 and not expect anything better. I think people underestimate our team because we still have fcs type players. If a coach can mentally transformed players to believe they are a high caliber type athlete, then that can create possibilities that seem unlikely. Looking at Freeze’s history, he has made some mediocre teams become winnable. So no, it’s not crazy to think that we can get 8 wins. Good thing we have more JUCOs to contribute this season. We can win 5 out of 6 six home games and beat the NM state, Rutgers and UMass to get 8. Honestly, we could get a miracle and beat Louisiana and maybe UVA (since we have a bye week after the BYU game). That’s 10 games right there.
By Jonathan Carone
Maybes and possiblies are different than expectations though. There are so many things that could happen this year. My argument is you set yourself up for disappointment if you been to expect those maybes to definitely happen, and that disappointment leads to unfair criticism of a team that actually did really well.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:My argument is you set yourself up for disappointment if you been to expect those maybes to definitely happen, and that disappointment leads to unfair criticism of a team that actually did really well.
Was this your take on Gill's teams as well :dontgetit :lol:

With a bunch of returning starters, more depth, another year of recruting at the FBS level, with a top P5 coach running the show, why would we not expect at least 2 more wins this season?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:My argument is you set yourself up for disappointment if you been to expect those maybes to definitely happen, and that disappointment leads to unfair criticism of a team that actually did really well.
Was this your take on Gill's teams as well :dontgetit :lol:

With a bunch of returning starters, more depth, another year of recruting at the FBS level, with a top P5 coach running the show, why would we not expect at least 2 more wins this season?
"Like"
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I haven't seen anyone else make their game by game predictions. It's easy to throw out "we should have 2-3 more wins this year than last year" but schedules are much different. That's amplified even more by the fact that we're not in a conference and 7 of our 12 games are against teams we didn't play last year.

Should be wins (2):
Hampton
Maine

Will be favorite (3):
New Mexico
NMSU
@NMSU

Toss-up (3):
@ULL
Buffalo
@UMass

Underdog (4):
Syracuse
@Rutgers
@BYU
@Virginia

If we win all 5 of the games we should be favorites, plus 2 of 3 from the toss-up category, and 1 in the underdog category, that's 8 wins. That leaves no room for error.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
With our schedule and roster, I think 7 wins is a realistic goal. Anything above that would just be gravy.

I can easily see us taking a bit of a step back as we adjust to a new coaching staff combined with our issues we still have in regards to depth. We are still far from a having a full FBS level roster. That is something a lot of people seem to be overlooking.

With that said, I could also see us winning 8 or 9 but that, as Jon has covered, involves a ton of if's and everything falling into place perfectly.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Should be wins:
- Maine
- Hampton
- Umass
- NM St. X2
- NM
- Buffalo

Toss ups:
- Rutgers
- Louisiana
**Although, I expect us to beat one if not both of these teams.

Underdogs:
- Syracuse
- UVA
- BYU
By Neo
This should go without saying, but that totally depends on how those 9 teams Liberty had played are doing. It also depends on how close they play Syracuse.

Votes are certainly likely if the teams we think are good are good. Top 25 seems unlikely. Not as unlikely as 8-1 though.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]