Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Anywhere between 5 and 7 wins for the 2019 ball club. Oh and after we beat UVA we should erect a statue of Jerry Falwell Sr. and leave there for all to admire. . . too soon. :D
By Class of 20Something
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Anywhere between 5 and 7 wins for the 2019 ball club. Oh and after we beat UVA we should erect a statue of Jerry Falwell Sr. and leave there for all to admire. . . too soon. :D
You are a genius.
By CCWMichael
willflop wrote:I threw this chart together using the Sagarin ratings. Liberty was a 51 after 2016, and as of right now our opponent average is 58 (also based on how they finished out 2016). Assuming we can raise ours to 58, simply from the fact that we get 22 more scholarships for depth, + potential for better talent recruiting given our FBS status, it's reasonable to project a 500 season in 2019.

For those unfamiliar with Sagarin, you can find it here: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm. In short, if a team has a rating of 60 and the other has 50, the team with 60 is expected to win by 10 points +/- 3 points for home field advantage.

As of today 41.14 and 193rd in the country ---- Keep Gill
under fire :medic
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
2019 will be our first year of bowl eligibility. I know we probably will not have enough wins to go bowling, but if we did what bowls would be a possibility? The last time I looked at the bowl tie ins the only at-large bids were the Military bowl and one more I cannot remember. If we go 7-5 what are our bowl possibilities?

What bowl would you al want to go to the most?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It depends on if enough slots are filled by bowl eligible teams. Selfishly I'd love to see us in one of the many bowls here in Texas or Louisiana. I'd rather stay away from any north of the Mason-Dixon Line outside of the Pinstripe Bowl. That could be fun with cheap flights to EWR.
By LUDad
Question. Has there been another rule put into place that nullifies the bowl eligibility procedure listed below? If not, I take it from point 5 listed below that LU is eligible for a bowl THIS coming season (however unlikely it is that we could attain the qualifying 6 wins) as long as the bowls cannot fill their slots with non-transitional teams that have 6 wins. Thus far its been difficult for all the bowl slots to be filled by 6 win teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility

1. Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period. In the 2012 season, programs in four FCS conferences cannot meet the 90% requirement (56.7 equivalents)—the Ivy League, which prohibits all athletic scholarships; the Pioneer Football League and Georgetown, which do not currently award football scholarships; and the Northeast Conference, which limits football scholarships to 38 equivalents.
2. 6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.
3. Teams that finish 6-7 with loss number seven in their conference championship game (that has been eliminated by the conference championship waiver rule).
4. 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents. Although Hawaii normally plays a 13-game schedule, it only played 12 games in the 2012 season.
5. FCS teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
6. Finally, 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score. This was later adjusted to allow other 5-7 teams to be selected thereafter—in order of their APR.[9]
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Point 5 is the issue. Technically 2018 is our 1st year of transition and 2019 is our second year. Theoretically speaking we could get invited today if there are bowls without enough qualified teams. But we need quite a few circumstances lining up in our favor.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Yes, first statement is clear now. What did you mean by your question:
Do we try and get out if Hampton or Maine?
IF Hampton or Maine do something......

OF the Hampton or Maine games because.......

I'm not sure which direction you are going, but I don't think we are looking for any kind of schedule shuffle.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Yes, first statement is clear now. What did you mean by your question:
Do we try and get out if Hampton or Maine?
IF Hampton or Maine do something......

OF the Hampton or Maine games because.......

I'm not sure which direction you are going, but I don't think we are looking for any kind of schedule shuffle.
No need to give our new coach a tougher game in his first year. Take the win and be happy.
By Class of 20Something
Umm...Hey, Ian!

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/Division%20 ... 8%2010.pdf
]
2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football
Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home
contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]
I can't find that bylaw reference but that doesn't read like the same 5+1 that gets used with bowl eligibility. We might actually need out of one of those games.

Edit: Looks like one FCS can count.

20.9.9.1 Sports Sponsorship. [FBS] The institution shall sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate
sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth
in Bylaws 20.9.6 and 20.9.6.3, including a minimum of six sports involving all-male teams or mixed teams of
males and females, and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging
sports per Bylaw 20.02.4 may be used) based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements
set forth in Bylaws 20.9.6 and 20.9.6.3 and involving all-female teams, subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw
20.9.6.2. (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94, 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04)
20.9.9.2Football Scheduling Requirement. [FBS] The institution shall schedule and play at least 60
percent of its football games against members of the Football Bowl Subdivision. The institution shall schedule and play at least five regular-season home games against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents. For purposes of
satisfying the scheduling requirement, a contest shall be considered a home contest if it is played in the stadium
in which an institution conducts at least 50 percent of its home contests. In addition, an institution may use one
home contest against a Football Bowl Subdivision member conducted at a neutral site to satisfy the home-game
requirement. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 1/12/04, 12/15/06)
20.9.9.2.1 Exception—Football Championship Subdivision Opponent. [FBS] Each year, a Football
Bowl Subdivision institution may count one contest against a Football Championship Subdivision
opponent to satisfy the football-scheduling requirement specified in Bylaw 20.9.9.2, provided the Football
Championship Subdivision opponent has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of
grants-in-aid per year in football over a rolling two-year period. (Adopted: 4/28/05, Revised: 12/15/06)
By Class of 20Something
BuryYourDuke wrote:You may want to check the date on that document...and check the idea that you are going to tell a former NCAA Athletic Director of the Year anything about intercollegiate athletics that he doesn’t already know.
Edited!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:You may want to check the date on that document...and check the idea that you are going to tell a former NCAA Athletic Director of the Year anything about intercollegiate athletics that he doesn’t already know.
Well. There’s this one part of running an athletic department he overlooked. Fortunately he’s become much more well versed in it
By Class of 20Something
Saw a reddit thread asking how high Army would get ranked if undefeated in 2019. They play 1 P5 school next season. Let's be thankful that Liberty will never have UCF problems. Liberty plays 3 P5(Cuse, Rutgers, UVa) and BYU next season with other bowl teams like Louisiana, Buffalo and New Mexico. If Liberty goes undefeated we would obviously be ranked in the top 10.

I'm not saying it will happen, but our schedule is stronger than all the G5s and independents minus ND and BYU. We have a schedule we can make a statement with.
By tyndal23
LUGrad2000 wrote:10 win Syracuse coming to Williams stadium to open up HF era. That will be the best team to ever play at Williams stadium.
Posted on another thread, but I think they will come in to LU as a preseason Top 25 even though they lose their QB - they get a lot of media love. LU will be getting ready to learn a whole lot about a RB transfer from OU that will be eligible for Cuse next season - Abdul Adams - pull some clips of him - ( got benched for fumbling and transferred out -but an absolute stud in open field )
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]