Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Yeah, I just finished reading that response. It was a very well written response. I am sure once PH reads it his man crush will just grow.
This was what I expected. That's the type of person you want leading your flagship athletic program. There were 2 things that made me raise my eyebrows, but I'll keep those to myself.
Yes I still have my man crush on TG. Yes I still want him to be LUFB Coach for life. No, I won't be surprised to see Art Briles on the side lines in 2018.
Lu has changed and I am still trying to adjust to it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Lu has changed and I am still trying to adjust to it.
It's almost like someone is listening to you. :lol:
I've been married nearly 20 years. I've worked with teenagers for nearly 25 years. I work for a company based on CA. I have grown accustomed to no one listening to me and find it moderately offensive you would suggest someone actually is! :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As per this tweet by manson, 2 more players are no longer on the roster and likely not returning.

Moncion is a walkon RB who would have probably been 5th on the depth chart. Evans redshirted this year as a FR. I really liked what I saw in his HS video, and until recent events he likely would have gotten some snaps at LB, if only by default. With the signing of 2 JUCU LBs, I'm guessing he decided his prospects were better elsewhere, although it's also possible there were non-football issues as well. He should be able to transfer to an FCS program and be eligible immediatly.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Mentioned in that article was something I was not aware of, which is the fact that Tyrin Holliway in fact has graduated, which should improve his chances of transferring to an FBS program, since he would not have to sit a year. I honestly don't know if LU even has a master's program that is LE related, so he could in fact have legit academic reasons to look elsewhere.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interview with coach Gill:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 58&TeamID=

Besides the stuff manson mentioned, he talked about redshirts, and basically said they will handle that as normally, with no plans to shirt key players if they can help us win this year. He indicated the exception might come where a player came to him expressing strongly that he wanted to redshirt, in which case they would likely do it, but he used the "players want to play" line to say he didn't anticipate much of that if any. The other thing I did not know is that Masha has also graduated, which makes it even more logical he transfer.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
alabama24 wrote:What "blog" was Gill replying to?
Probably part 1 of the series that posted his response as part 2.
I assume the same, but afaik, there were no links to a part 1.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Mentioned in that article was something I was not aware of, which is the fact that Tyrin Holliway in fact has graduated, which should improve his chances of transferring to an FBS program, since he would not have to sit a year. I honestly don't know if LU even has a master's program that is LE related, so he could in fact have legit academic reasons to look elsewhere.
If by "LE related", you mean law enforcement, LU has a master's degree in criminal justice.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach Gil won a MAC championsip and took Buffalo to a Bowl game. :clapping
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote:
oldflame wrote:Mentioned in that article was something I was not aware of, which is the fact that Tyrin Holliway in fact has graduated, which should improve his chances of transferring to an FBS program, since he would not have to sit a year. I honestly don't know if LU even has a master's program that is LE related, so he could in fact have legit academic reasons to look elsewhere.
If by "LE related", you mean law enforcement, LU has a master's degree in criminal justice.
Thanks for that info. Of course, from a career standpoint, having both degrees from Liberty would not be optimal. As Sly has stated, he could still benefit from going to a place like Sam Houston St in his native Texas and nationally regarded for their LE related programs.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Good to see Turner decide to stick it out at Liberty. Granted he really had no options other than going down to d2.

Not really upset with the other players leaving. Nothing special that JuCo's can't make up for. Turner would've been hard to replace. Not a lot of 6'3 corners out there with his athletic ability.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Good to see Turner decide to stick it out at Liberty. Granted he really had no options other than going down to d2.

Not really upset with the other players leaving. Nothing special that JuCo's can't make up for. Turner would've been hard to replace. Not a lot of 6'3 corners out there with his athletic ability.
That is actually not accurate. Because of our new status as FBS, he could go to any FCS program and play 2 years, starting immediatly. Transferring to an FBS team would have involved giving up a year of eligibility, which is a pretty bad option.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The FCS friendly transfer rules are one of the worst parts of the move to FBS. Unhappy campers at LU can now transfer to a FCS program and play right away, while FBS transfers coming in now must sit a year.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
we can't really complain about them, though, since we've benefited from them in the past.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
rmiller1959 wrote:
Thanks for that info. Of course, from a career standpoint, having both degrees from Liberty would not be optimal. As Sly has stated, he could still benefit from going to a place like Sam Houston St in his native Texas and nationally regarded for their LE related programs.
In my position, I've heard arguments for and against getting your graduate degree at the same school where you get your bachelor's degree and there is no "right" answer. If you intend to teach, academia seems to prefer diversity in your CV, but if you're going into a profession, it's less important than simply having the graduate credential in the first place. Of course, schools that are considered "elite" get a pass, and I would imagine that anyone wishing to earn an accredited degree in which a Biblical worldview is integrated into the curriculum would probably pursue their entire post-secondary education right here.

In this particular instance, I agree that the proximity to home, the solid reviews of the program, and SHSU's cultural diversity make it an attractive option for Mr. Holliway.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Crickets.

It's now 3 weeks since the last announced departure, which was Chris Turner. What's that? Turner is NOT leaving? make that over 3 weeks.

A total of 6 leaving, counting Holder, who announced his earlier. 3 of those 6 are graduates. One of the other 3 is facing felony charges.

Of course it's possible there may still be more, but anyone who actually wants to transfer to another program better get on the stick pretty quick.

BTW, I believe SOMEONE predicted here that at least one of the announced transfers would end up staying.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Crickets.

It's now 3 weeks since the last announced departure, which was Chris Turner. What's that? Turner is NOT leaving? make that over 3 weeks.

A total of 6 leaving, counting Holder, who announced his earlier. 3 of those 6 are graduates. One of the other 3 is facing felony charges.

Of course it's possible there may still be more, but anyone who actually wants to transfer to another program better get on the stick pretty quick.

BTW, I believe SOMEONE predicted here that at least one of the announced transfers would end up staying.
Relax. Haven't you heard? ANYTHING is possible!!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, Summer school has started and the team is in town working out. The number of transfers still stands at 6, or less than 10% of the FCS scholarship limit of 63. By way of reminder, 3 of those 6 are leaving with one or more degrees from LU, while one of the other 3 is facing felony drug distribution charges.

To put things in perspective, during the period between April 2015 and April 2016, we had 6 basketball players transfer, 5 of which were for attitude or disciplinary reasons. That is almost 50% of the scholarship limit of 13, and the equivilant of 30 football players transferring. 3 more MBB players transferred this Spring, although all 3 of them were basketball related, seeking minutes elsewhere they likely would not have gotten here. Yet in spite of this, or perhaps at least in part BECAUSE of it, our MBB team is almost universally looked at as a shining light of what we want in a team culture at Liberty. Meanwhile the football culture is labeled "poisoned".

I'm not saying there are not issues with the football team that need to be addressed, but I don't believe that label was or is fair, and after hearing the recent interview with one of the captains, Solomon McGinty, I am cautiously optimistic that we have a group of guys who are motivated to have a great season and prove we are ready for the step up in 2018.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]