Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Footballfan
The Deputy AD at Baylor is now heading to Liberty to be reunited with Ian McCaw in the same capacity.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/b ... 62060.html

Based on the recent number of JUCO and Community College offers, it seems Coach Gill and staff are focused on winning now and meeting the challenges of the FBS transition.

The hiring of Mr. Patulski demonstrates IF Liberty makes a change with the Head Football Coach ( which I hope they DO NOT) then Art Briles would be a candidate. Not sure how that would look or how it would be perceived by Flames Nation and the college football community.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Art Briles plans to coach for 'another decade'
http://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1268658

Figured PH would like this, but I'd like to see other thoughts on Briles' plan. What if LU has Briles on their radar in the near future? What if some of the BU crew will be formed at LU? I thought this would be a crazy move, but it's not impossible.
I feel honored you were thinking of me :D :oops:
By cruzan_flame13
Footballfan wrote:The Deputy AD at Baylor is now heading to Liberty to be reunited with Ian McCaw in the same capacity.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/b ... 62060.html

Based on the recent number of JUCO and Community College offers, it seems Coach Gill and staff are focused on winning now and meeting the challenges of the FBS transition.

The hiring of Mr. Patulski demonstrates IF Liberty makes a change with the Head Football Coach ( which I hope they DO NOT) then Art Briles would be a candidate. Not sure how that would look or how it would be perceived by Flames Nation and the college football community.
It wouldn't really be a good idea to let go of Gill, but on the other hand, Briles isn't convicted for anything. Of course the community will be appalled especially how the media portrays their stories. Nonetheless the media and some other institutions(plus their fans) hate anything with Liberty involvement anyways.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:

Figured PH would like this, but I'd like to see other thoughts on Briles' plan. What if LU has Briles on their radar in the near future? What if some of the BU crew will be formed at LU? I thought this would be a crazy move, but it's not impossible.
This is your topic, it felt right to tag you in it lol.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

This is your topic, it felt right to tag you in it lol.
Nah. This isn't my topic just my prediction
I am a huge Gill fan But this makes too much sense. Plus it's obvious the Poe affair that JR has with Baylor and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
By cruzan_flame13
There's a scent of this being a possibility, but I'm hoping it isn't for the sake of the school. Gill is a great guy, however our program hasn't really progress in the last five years. In honesty, the rest programs are looking up to football and football isn't giving the success that the others hope for. I do want LU to succeed and a bit quickly like they've done academically and financially. Nontheless I don't want to have these problems with the football team ever getting away with any problems so that the program can be a big shot. There has to be another good coach out there if Gill's contract isn't extended.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Guys, Iam McCaw had Art Briles as a head football coach once before and look how that turned out. I suspect Art would be the last guy that Ian would look to hire at this point.

And knowing Art a bit over the years, I don't see him wanting to live anywhere outside the Lone Star State where he has all his HS Football connections that paid off for him in Waco.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If Briles was a saint, I am suspect of anyone who would love to live in Texas, if there was any other option, in the lower 48. In my mind, if Gill doesn't do some major big time recruiting and put a significantly better product on the field, than a change would be warranted. Gill is a great guy and a super representative for the university. But, I am sure there are equally as good men, who can bring/build a winning FBS program to the mountain. I wish Coach Gill nothing but success. Go Flames.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
My April fools joke was far more hilarious than this topic.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Guys, Iam McCaw had Art Briles as a head football coach once before and look how that turned out. I suspect Art would be the last guy that Ian would look to hire at this point.

And knowing Art a bit over the years, I don't see him wanting to live anywhere outside the Lone Star State where he has all his HS Football connections that paid off for him in Waco.
Those arguments don't really hold much water.
IM was an AD once and we saw how that turned out. Why would any other University want to hire him? You'd suspect one of the most Conservative Schools in the Country would be the last place to hire him
Briles had a heck of a run while working for Ian. If Ian wants to put LU on the FB map Art would be the guy to do it
Briles connections in a Texas can help him just as much if not more in Lynchburg than Waco
Art may not wanna leave Texas but if he still wants to coach football he may not have a choice
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:My April fools joke was far more hilarious than this topic.
It would have been better had you said Alabama
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:I would be strongly against it. Art is a great football mind but a complete scum bag. I can't imagine Ian taking a shot on him again.
LU took a shot on Ian
By WinterIsComing
Registration Days Posts
I've never thought brining in Briles was impossible. After the whole Trump mess, it wouldn't shock me if LU justified the move by loading up "the next King David" defense...again. :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I'm not sure where I stand on this, just throwing it out. Maybe it's time to face the fact that this isn't the Liberty University that Doc started, and not the LU the vast majority of us attended. It's a different place, for better or worse (probably both). We should probably accept and embrace it, or turn our backs on it at this point. Just don't expect the institution to behave like it might have 20 years ago, because as we are seeing, it won't.
This is where I am at
Purple Haize wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:I'm not sure where I stand on this, just throwing it out. Maybe it's time to face the fact that this isn't the Liberty University that Doc started, and not the LU the vast majority of us attended. It's a different place, for better or worse (probably both). We should probably accept and embrace it, or turn our backs on it at this point. Just don't expect the institution to behave like it might have 20 years ago, because as we are seeing, it won't.
This is where I am at
It probably belongs in the LU concerns thread, but if we could drop the politics and just be honest about IM, "We understand the stigma, and believe that IM followed the existing, though insufficient protocol. We recognize and have learned from BU and have ensured that our Title IX program is not only meeting standards but exceeding them. Our recent dismissals of players from our football​ team is a testament to our commitment to enforce these rules and regulations. No student athlete is untouchable." That in his introductory​ presser would have shut most of the backlash before we could even get mad.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Surprised this wasn't posted earlier. Art was hired then unhired in the CFL this week after an insane amount of bad press.

He is absolutely radioactive. Jr. Do not even think about it.
LU is the only place he CAN coach
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Surprised this wasn't posted earlier. Art was hired then unhired in the CFL this week after an insane amount of bad press.

He is absolutely radioactive. Jr. Do not even think about it.
LU is the only place he CAN coach
That might be true. If he is cleared legally, I am not sure how I would feel about it. He certainly wouldn't be my first or second choice.
By evanchase12
Brett McMurphy just posted on Facebook that he believes the two places Art could end up are Alabama or Liberty.

Partial quote:

"I believe there are two schools where Briles could be an assistant: Alabama and Liberty.

Let me stress: I don’t think he would end up at Alabama, but if Nick Saban wanted Art Briles on his staff in some capacity – Saban has been a wayward home for some of the top discarded offensive minds in the past like Kiffin and Sarkasian – Saban has the power to bring him on board. That would never happen, because if Saban hated the distractions that Kiffin brought, having Briles in Tuscaloosa would be 100 times worse.

Liberty, a newcomer to the Division I football ranks, is another story. The school’s new athletic director is Ian McCaw, who just happened to be Briles’ boss at Baylor. When McCaw was hired at Liberty in November, Liberty president Jerry Falwell Jr. said: “Ian’s success really speaks for itself. You look at what Baylor was able to do during his tenure, it fits perfectly with where we see our sports programs going.”

I see, what you did there, Jerry, sticking to sports. You conveniently didn't mention the horrific sexual assault culture on campus while McCaw was in charge of the athletic department.

If Falwell can justify McCaw’s hiring than why not Briles? Liberty is a private university with an ambitious athletic program trying to climb up the Division I football food chain. What better way to make a huge splash than bringing Briles to the Lynchburg, Va., school.

Does Briles deserve a chance to coach again? If a professional team wants to employ him, that’s a business risk they’ll have to take because of the blowback. Should Briles coach again on a college or high school campus, absolutely not. Mars? Well, maybe."

Source:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I don't think that even the mighty Purple considered bringing Briles on as an ASSISTANT at LU. :dontgetit

Genius idea or not?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I don't think that even the mighty Purple considered bringing Briles on as an ASSISTANT at LU. :dontgetit

Genius idea or not?
An Assistant under Gill? Nope
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]