Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Having spent the past couple of days on business in Waco I thought it might be a good idea to give you folks considering a trip to Texas for the season opener an idea what could be in store for you. All of the pics weren't snapped on my phone while bouncing around town.

The Campus

Even though it is stuck in the middle of nowhere in Central Texas, Baylor has one of the more beautiful campuses you will see. Everything is done in red brick incluing all of the athletic facilities. If you have ever wondered what the Vines Center would look like with the brick painted red like they did the dorms on the hill, you can see it at BU.

ImageImage

The majority of the campus is build on the south side of the Brazos River. But over the past couple of decades the school has invested a ton in developing the riverfront on both sides of the river. This pedestrian bridge spans the river in the athletic complex and leads to our next stop ...

The Stadium

McLane Stadium opened in 2014 just after Uncle Drayton had sold the Astros and was flush with cash. He invested heavily in his alma mater's efforts and has the stadium named after him as a result. And it is a beauty.

I have yet to see a game there. But all of my sportscaster buddies in the state describe it as one of the coolest stadiums in Texas. And for the uninformed, that's a big deal. It follows the Ian McCaw philosophy over not overbuilding with just 45k in seating. I suspect we will follow a similar path at LU. A smaller stadium creates a more intimate environment and creates a real value for tickets.

McLane Stadium was built in the midst of the hype around the program while RGIII was winnign the Heisman. His run that seson helped Ian McCaw raise a ton of funds for the stadium. As a result, some refer to the stadium as "The House that RGIII Built". He is honored outside the stadium near the bridge over the Brazos.

The Town

Waco is larger than Lynchburg with around 130k in population. It has long been considered a forgettable city in the midst of the Texas Triangle (DFW to Austin/San Antonio to Houston). It sits halfway between the Metroplex and Austin. The city has undergone a bit of revitalization in recent years thanks in large part to the growth of Baylor that was spawned under former president Robert Sloan. You will recognize most of these images if you have ever watched an episode of Fixer Upper.

ImageImageImage

This old suspension bridge sits near "downtown" Waco over the Brazos River. There are parks on both sides of the river and now serves as a pedestrian pathway between the parks. Just upstream is the Waco Mammoth National Monument where some baylor archaelogy students discovered a herd of Wooly Mammoth babies that died in situ along the shores of the river. I haven't been to this site yet but it gets a lot of buzz from locals.

There is not a ton else to see in town. But there is a place that SJ would love if he made the trip.

Waco is the birthplace of Dr. Pepper and there is a museum there that honors all things DP. It is not huge and charges 10 bucks a pop but is certainly a cool attraction. Along with the Texas Ranger Museum and Texas Sports Hall of Fame that both sit on BU's campus, this museum was the star attraction in town until the following place rose to prminence the past couple of years ...

The Reason Your Wife Will Agree to Trip

Magnolia Market at the Silos is probably one of the biggest draws in the state right now. Chip & Joanna have masterfully marketed their Fixer Upper exposure into a huge tourist mecca. I snapped this pic as I was rolling out of town long after the 6pm closing time. But when I drove by around lunch time, the line was literally down the block for the bakery on the corner on the right and there was a sea of cars of people coming and going around the market. You can just imagine what the crowds would be like on a September Saturday. But I am here to help you sell this trip to the ladies in your life.

Accommodations

Being a college town along one of the primary NAFTA corridors on I-35, the city has tons of the usual chain hotels. Most are either downtown within a mile or so of the campus/stadium. Some are down on the southside. But finding rooms shouldn't be a huge issue if you make reservations early. If you wait until later, there will still be rooms within a half hour or so down in Temple.

On the dining side, you have some nice restaurants but all of the popular Texas chains like Torchy's Tacos, Chuy's, Rudy's BBQ and Freeb!rds. You are about an hour north of BBQ mecca in Austin which is absolutely worth the drive. In addition to Whataburger, the other burger chain that gets most East Coasters jazzed when they visit is this place ...

This location is right by the Baylor campus and about a mile from McLane Stadium. I'm a huge #1 guy with a Neopolitan shake. My son is all about Monster-style. One way or the other, it is a must for LU fans who make the trip.

How to Get There

First off, there is an airport in Waco itself. It is served very sparingly by American Eagle through DFW. But it is usually ridiculously expensive much like the other nearby airport in Killeen (Fort Hood) which has service from United Express and American Eagle. They don't wind up saving you much time over driving from one of the Dallas or Austin airports that are all just over an hour and a half away. Love Field in Dallas is about 15 minutes or so closer to Waco than DFW. But even with traffic, it shouldn't more than an hour and 45 minutes from either airport. It is nearly an identical run from Austin Bergstrom (AUS) to the south.

It is a long drive from Virginia to Texas. I speak from experience just last week. Give yourself either a day and a half or two days to keep it from being ridiculous. Although when I was in my twenties I used to drive it straight through in a day, I wouldn't recommend it. IF you do decide to take the roadie, let SumItUp and I know and we can give suggestions to you.
By gerb
Great summary. Will be there from Dallas with wife and my oldest 4 kids.

Also try the "Gut Pack" at Vitek's BBQ! Better than Rudy's.

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Viteks is not bad ... certainly a big step up from most anything in the Metroplex outside of Hard Eight. But the quality stuff is down I-35 in Greater Austin.

We'e hoping to organize a big crowd of alumni from Greater Houston for the game. Even quite a few BU alumni are starting to come around to the Liberty side of things and are talking about coming as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Viteks is not bad ... certainly a big step up from most anything in the Metroplex outside of Hard Eight. But the quality stuff is down I-35 in Greater Austin.

We'e hoping to organize a big crowd of alumni from Greater Houston for the game. Even quite a few BU alumni are starting to come around to the Liberty side of things and are talking about coming as well.
:shock: phrasing!!

But that place is awesome :exactly :tailgate
By gerb
Sly Fox wrote:Viteks is not bad ... certainly a big step up from most anything in the Metroplex outside of Hard Eight. But the quality stuff is down I-35 in Greater Austin.

Yeah, it is Waco after all. Hard Eight is good for ribs but at least in Roanoke, brisket is meh. Lockhart Smokehouse is pretty good, especially when they have burnt ends aka: meat candy.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Glad to see all of the Lockhart boy starting to spread their goodness beyond Central Texas. The Luling meat market now has a location in Houston..

Burnt ends rule the world.
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
With us hiring Baylor AD is there any chance of this game getting telavised on a bigger network?

Sly fox- If you like Burnt ends you should try our Black & Bleu Mac & cheese at Fifth and Federal!! Brisket burnt ends in Bleu cheese Mac
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Wish I was in the Burg more frequently.

As for Waco? Any more of you thinking of joining us down here in the Lone Star State? If you want to turn iit into a mini-vacation, I can suggest some fun places in the region for you and your family.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:It definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Wish I was in the Burg more frequently.

As for Waco? Any more of you thinking of joining us down here in the Lone Star State? If you want to turn iit into a mini-vacation, I can suggest some fun places in the region for you and your family.
I will vouch for the solid taste of the burnt end Mac n cheese at 5th and Federal!
By DCAbloob
jlread wrote:With us hiring Baylor AD is there any chance of this game getting telavised on a bigger network?

Sly fox- If you like Burnt ends you should try our Black & Bleu Mac & cheese at Fifth and Federal!! Brisket burnt ends in Bleu cheese Mac
Baylor just announced the game for FS2 at 7 pm EDT.
DCAbloob wrote:
jlread wrote:With us hiring Baylor AD is there any chance of this game getting telavised on a bigger network?

Baylor just announced the game for FS2 at 7 pm EDT.
Hopefully there aren't too many games on the air at that time.
By walksports
If any of you like to run, there's a good, longstanding race in West, about 20 miles north of Waco, the next morning.

https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/West/Kolache5KChallenge

8 a.m. start ensures that it will be both humid and then, quickly, hot.

And if anybody is planning on attending worship on Sunday morning, I've had the chance to visit both First Baptist Church of Waco, which is between the campus and downtown on the west side of I-35, and Greater Waco Baptist Church, which is on Loop 340, east of campus.

My daughter, a recent '17 grad, and I will be driving up from far north Houston to attend the game, run and go to church in the area the next morning.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Most Flame Fans only run if someone is chasing us. :wink:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
West is the town full of Czechs where that fertilizer plant explosion occurred a few years back. And if you don't know what a kolache is, you never truly have experienced breakfast.

There are bunch of good churches in Waco and a wealth of them in the three surrounding major cities of DFW, Austin & Houston. Texas is the buckle of the Bible Belt.

walksports - Where are you based these days? I'm now up in Montgomery.
By BaylorHistory
Hey Flames!

I just wanted to say welcome to FBS (close enough) and I look forward to hosting y'all in less than a month. Sly posted a great review (recognize him from anygivensaturday and a lot of other boards) of town and as a local I'll supplement it over the next month or so. I'll also put some team information out there when time permits. What are the expectations of Gill and crew this year?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Bumping this up for those headed to Waco.

I am actually able to go to the game after all. What section are you all sitting in? I am about to buy tickets online.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Used to stop there for kolaches back in the day. I'm rolling up Highway 6 for this one or I'd stop in for old times sake. Not much reason to stop on Hwy 6 as we pass through Collie Station and Marlin as quickly as possible.
By gerb
Currently sweating at magnolia market with wife and kids.

Anyway Baylor fan told me to download "Baylor In Game" to watch video in stadium from 7 different cameras. Not sure if it works outside of stadium.
gerb wrote:Currently sweating at magnolia market with wife and kids.

Anyway Baylor fan told me to download "Baylor In Game" to watch video in stadium from 7 different cameras. Not sure if it works outside of stadium.
Just tried it here in the burg. Had audio in the top corner
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
It is a long drive from Virginia to Texas. I speak from experience just last week. Give yourself either a day and a half or two days to keep it from being ridiculous. Although when I was in my twenties I used to drive it straight through in a day, I wouldn't recommend it. IF you do decide to take the roadie, let SumItUp and I know and we can give suggestions to you.
Yes, Captain Obvious, it is a long drive. I've done it twice - Nashville is a good place to stop and rest for the night.
By walksports
Long line at Czech Stop last night for kolaches and sausages after the win! Saw some other Flames fans in line.

We stayed up the road in Hillsboro, canned the run this morning in West and are headed to Greater Waco Baptist Church this morning for worship at 11 a.m.

Even though I live on the far north side of Houston, I've run a race or two around McLane Stadium but have never seen a game inside of it until last night. Even though Flames fans' seats were in the upper tier of the end zone, they were still great seats. Beautiful facility that Ian built. :-)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]