Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Fellas,

I know the idea of redshirting Buckshot, Juwan, Brandon Tillmon, Gandy-Golden as well as our higher profile recruits from this class and last has floated around in our FBS ready thread. So, I wanted to start a new topic specifically concerning this question. After a few days from mulling over it I think at least it is a interesting discussion. I for one was seriously opposed to it when I first read it on our forum. Yet, if we are building for the future it could be a good thing. However, game experience can't be taught from being redshirted.

So, let us interact on this question:

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES TO REDSHIRTING OUR UNDERCLASSMEN WHO ARE IMPACT PLAYERS?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Fellas,

I know the idea of redshirting Buckshot, Juwan, Brandon Tillmon, Gandy-Golden as well as our higher profile recruits from this class and last has floated around in our FBS ready thread. So, I wanted to start a new topic specifically concerning this question. After a few days from mulling over it I think at least it is a interesting discussion. I for one was seriously opposed to it when I first read it on our forum. Yet, if we are building for the future it could be a good thing. However, game experience can't be taught from being redshirted.

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES TO REDSHIRTING OUR UNDERCLASSMEN WHO ARE IMPACT PLAYERS?
You have nothing to play for or gain the next 2 years. Why not keep as much eligibility as possible for when the games actually might mean something
Purple Haize wrote:

You have nothing to play for or gain the next 2 years. Why not keep as much eligibility as possible for when the games actually might mean something
True but you also have to consider recruiting as well. Lets say ,hypothetically speaking, we do redshirt players and the 2017-18 seasons records are poor, do you think it will affects prospects from considering commitment to LU?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

True but you also have to consider recruiting as well. Lets say ,hypothetically speaking, we do redshirt players and the 2017-18 seasons records are poor, do you think it will affects prospects from considering commitment to LU?
The record won't be much better if they don't Redshirt. Plus, it is or at least should be an easy sell. 'Look, we are preparing for the next level. We want you to be a part of it. We are marshaling our forces so that when the time comes we can be up to speed and competitive ASAP'. Done. Explained.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Redshirting our better players could mean simply losing a year of eligibility for the Flames. Post-grad transfers have to be factored into decisions. Just somethignt o factor into the decision.

Players want to play. I can see some of them who would likely be primarily guys off the bench seeing an advantage in taking a year off. But starters want to start.

Just having this discussion reminds me of Presby redshirting their guys and getting nothing out of it other than a terrible season du to a paperwork snafu. Not that I see that happening with our staff. But it did bring back the memories.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
'Buckshot, do you want to play this year and only have one shot to play Bowl game? Or would you like to sit out this year and have 2 shots at it?'
Appy and Coastal sat players during transition
The current Staff has not shown a big interest in taking transfers. I don't see that changing until Art Briles comes to town
Purple Haize wrote:'Buckshot, do you want to play this year and only have one shot to play Bowl game? Or would you like to sit out this year and have 2 shots at it?'
The current Staff has not shown a big interest in taking transfers. I don't see that changing until Art Briles comes to town
Is that suppose to be a joke or a wish? Any who sly has some decent pointers but I wouldn't be surprised that some players will be redshirted. I was just wondering if that will hinder prospects decisions.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Forget Art. There is a guy in Oxford, MS that will be available soon. :twisted:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:'Buckshot, do you want to play this year and only have one shot to play Bowl game? Or would you like to sit out this year and have 2 shots at it?'
Is that suppose to be a joke or a wish? Any who sly has some decent pointers but I wouldn't be surprised that some players will be redshirted. I was just wondering if that will hinder prospects decisions.
Is what supposed to be a joke? :dontgetit
That's a great sales pitch for Buckshot
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Forget Art. There is a guy in Oxford, MS that will be available soon. :twisted:
Ha. Yeah, Hugh is in some deep do do. But the LU AD has no tie to him that I know of and he will still be more hireable than Briles.
Purple Haize wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Forget Art. There is a guy in Oxford, MS that will be available soon. :twisted:
Ha. Yeah, Hugh is in some deep do do. But the LU AD has no tie to him that I know of and he will still be more hireable than Briles.
PH I'm not sure IM wants anyone to ever associate him with Art again. He is distancing himself from Baylor.

For the rest of us. If you're being sarcastic, it's hard to tell on the internet.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
PH I'm not sure IM wants anyone to ever associate him with Art again. He is distancing himself from Baylor.

For the rest of us. If you're being sarcastic, it's hard to tell on the internet.
There is nothing in the above posts that are sarcastic. But I can totally understand the sentiment :D
IM will always be associated with Baylor. LU is giving him a chance why not Briles? Briles built a program at the bottom of FBS into a National power. He is a nameless that will bring instant recognition and credibility to the football program which is what LU longs for and is going to need. Now, I'm the biggest HCTG fan and homer on this board and think he is the best guy to represent LU for the next 20 years.
As for the Redshirt argument what are the flaws with it? I'd rather sit out a meaningless year and gain another opportunity at a Bowl but that's just me
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
And PH has sabotaged this thread haha!

I think redshirting the best players would be a big mistake on HCTG's part. As I have mentioned previously, he is interviewing for an FBS job during the 2017 season. He has an upper hand on the competition because he is the current coach. He can't afford to lose and redshirting the best players now would be just that. Additionally, the expectation should be for him to get better players for the 2019+ season. He's not the coach for LU if he wants to sandbag the best players with that being the strategy to be the most competitive team LU can field in 2019+.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:And PH has sabotaged this thread haha!

I think redshirting the best players would be a big mistake on HCTG's part. As I have mentioned previously, he is interviewing for an FBS job during the 2017 season. He has an upper hand on the competition because he is the current coach. He can't afford to lose and redshirting the best players now would be just that. Additionally, the expectation should be for him to get better players for the 2019+ season. He's not the coach for LU if he wants to sandbag the best players with that being the strategy to be the most competitive team LU can field in 2019+.
I'm just responding to the questions people are asking!
Until LU is Bowl eligible the season outcomes are meaningless. This is a time to Marshall your talent and save eligibility for players that can help you at the FBS level. Buckshot is certainly one of those guys. There are also a whole lot of players who are NOT those guys. You sound like I'm advocating red shirting the entire roster
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
That is why I specifically said "best players", which I realize can be translated different ways.

IMHO, the mindset should be, "the players we are bringing in for 2018, 2019, 2020+ should all be far superior than the talent we have now". This mindset allows you to win now (with guys like Calvert) and prepare for the future (recruit 3-star QBs, WRs, RBs etc). With that said, I'm all for redshirting most of the 2017 recruiting class.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach and I agree on at least two things: Burger King and NO redshirting. :nono
By Footballfan
The advantages are obvious.

A few of the biggest disadvantages IMO are : 1) Team Unity 2) Risking that some of the players that redshirt this year could graduate from LU early and transfer with eligibility. I believe Sly made this point above.

I antipcate the answer to the redshirt question will become much clearer with Spring practice and which players get the most reps. Below is a list of returning players that would most likely be redshirt candidates this season.

Rising Juniors
Jemery Peters - DB
Damien King - WR
Juwan Wells - DE
William Brown - DT
Cameron Jones - DB

Rising Sophomores
Alex Prophet - K
Buckshot Calvert - QB
Antonio Gandy-Golden - WR
Ethan Crawford - OL
DeCarlo Hamilton - DT
Jimmy Faulks - DB

I agree with playing your best and playing to win every game this year and beyond, but I am not the Coach. My hunch is they will redshirt a "few" of the above players - I hope I am wrong.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I'm seeing no upside in burning eligibility of players that can help you down the road on meaningless games next year or the year after
NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]