Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
At least he's familiar with the Title IX folks at LU. That's a step in the right direction
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Great job, Jon. There is actually quite a bit to read between the lines in his responses in both parts. In the second part, it sounds like we could be looking at the visitors side with upper deck starting November 19th of this year. That would add 6k additional seats to get us up above 25k capacity. Frankly that might be a nice number to have if we want to maintain a strong gameday experience in the short term.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Very interesting. Great job Jon.

Sounds like women's hockey is a definite no go, and interesting that he keyed in on women's golf
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The plans for the visitors side tower that I saw last year had some flexibility. But Ian has just gone through all of this at McLane Stadium in Waco and should have some keen insight into how to maximize revenue while increasing the gameday experience for fans.

Medic - We have just invested the resources intot he golf practice facility so the costs would be the least impactful in starting up a program. I'll bet gymnastics and equestrian are the other primary options unless we give bowling a look.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Yeah agreed that w. golf would be the easiest to assimilate into an already existing scholarship program

Basically – just hire a bunch of chicks

Maybe Annika Sorrenstam would agree to coach
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't even think we'd need to hire any coaches. Jeff's expertise is not limited to the guys' game. We basically just need to up his recruiting & travel budget and add the scholarships.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Smoke show chick coach wouldn't hurt to increase program visibility. Just sayin

EDIT: Reading that back it seems a wee bit sexist but I'm gonna let it stand
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn't read to much into the hockey statement. Lets see if talks pick up once everything gets settled with the football program. Along with FBS football NCAA hockey was Doc's dreams as well.

there's a very few equestrian teams out there so I wouldn't be surprised to see gymnastics along with golf get added to match the scholarships. They were building a new gymnasium. I wouldn't mind women's beach volleyball as an add in. :mrgreen: Kidding lol
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Smoke show chick coach wouldn't hurt to increase program visibility. Just sayin

EDIT: Reading that back it seems a wee bit sexist but I'm gonna let it stand
I say play on.

Also, I wonder what the Title IX regulations are for coaches. I would think you would need a coach for a Men's team and a coach for a Woman's team. But I'm not familiar with how other schools do it
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With equestrian we would have practically no start-up costs and there are only 17 Division I programs (closest being Delaware State, Soth Carolina & College of Charleston) ... one of which Ian oversaw in Waco. Of course there are six ODAC programs within an hour or so of our campus for local competitions. We have a terrific facility in place that we are already maintaining at the club level. So once again, the costs would be minimal. Justh throwing it out there since we have made significant investment in recent years.

I suspect NCAA hockey will come about more from opportunity arising than us forcing the issue. It could happen rather quickly under the right circumstances.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
IM: Man, isn't it great we have a fan base that follows and actively participates in our school on forums like FlamesNation... I mean ASeaofRed??
LU Admin: No. Shut the whole thing down.
By Redbonebandit
Registration Days Posts
Lol right, here's hoping he tacs toward creating as much good will in the community as possible. I never understood the admins disdain for this site, though the irony of an institution named liberty stifling speech was rich.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Here's Part 2, discussing stadium expansion

http://www.aseaofred.com/fbs-qa-with-mccaw-part-2/
They should tier club level. For example $1000 donation you can buy 2 season tickets, $1500 donation 3 tickets. $2000 donation 4 tickets, $3000 8 tickets. Only the $2000 & $3000 level should be able to buy extra single game tickets, space available the week of the game.

:dontgetit
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Redbonebandit wrote:Lol right, here's hoping he tacs toward creating as much good will in the community as possible. I never understood the admins disdain for this site, though the irony of an institution named liberty stifling speech was rich.
There is no Liberty at Liberty. Lol.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
They should tier club level. For example $1000 donation you can buy 2 season tickets, $1500 donation 3 tickets. $2000 donation 4 tickets, $3000 8 tickets. Only the $2000 & $3000 level should be able to buy extra single game tickets, space available the week of the game.

:dontgetit
After this next season, club level is likely to be tiered, but there will not be access for less than the Director's Level. Even before the FBS announcement, it was likely that the club level seats would sell out for the 2017 season. For the 2018 season, it may be difficult to get club level seats at the Director's Level unless there is an accumulation of loyalty points. All of this could change if there is an additional premium seat location available with additional inventory as part of the stadium expansion.

You can view the current Flames Club membership levels at this link.
http://www.liberty.edu/flamesclub/index.cfm?PID=30812
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
It would be great to see the Flames Club (this is not a critique, but an idea) adopt a membership platform similar to a lot of NBA teams. Have it centered around the community and those in Lynchburg with "Member Events". There are ways to keep the city engaged with Liberty without attending a game and it gives the city another reason to get involved. I may not be communicated myself well enough, but it would look similar to below:

http://www.nba.com/hornets/swarm365

I'm not suggesting changing the Flames Club to "Flames365", but it would be great to see more involvement with membership benefits. I get as excited as the next person about an LU lapel pin, but Lynchburgers couldn't care less about that. Experiences and benefits sell and drive demand.

Before someone jumps all over me... I absolutely recognize the drastic difference between the NBA (the Hornets do this as good or better than anyone - awards prove it) and NCAA D-1 mid-major programs. However, Liberty is one of only a very slim few who can offer more benefits and think outside the box. With that said, there is nothing on the link that shows me the value of a $1,200 membership over a $60 membership besides "ticket priority". I know there is a difference, but many alumni, fans and Lynchburgers don't have a clue. They will see the $60, see it as the "cheap" option and feel good about "giving/donating" while getting the same benefits as the $1,200 donor.

Again, this is absolutely not a critique of the membership structure or level-tier in the Flames Club.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]